Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
31 Posts
Surely Nissan has mileage numbers by now. It would great if they shared them like they said they would back in January. So far we've seen numbers all over the map.

·
94 Posts
Surely Nissan has mileage numbers by now. It would great if they shared them like they said they would back in January. So far we've seen numbers all over the map.
I do believe the head guy on the Titan XD project said because it is exempt from EPA testing that they are not going to be releasing economy numbers.

Seems like the price goes up little by little with every new article. first it was under 40k, then it was at 40k now its 41+k.
I've noted the same thing. I wonder where it will settle... for that matter I wonder how that will translate to CAD with the piss poor Canadian economy...

·
31 Posts
I do believe the head guy on the Titan XD project said because it is exempt from EPA testing that they are not going to be releasing economy numbers.

I've noted the same thing. I wonder where it will settle... for that matter I wonder how that will translate to CAD with the piss poor Canadian economy...
I'm pretty sure he said that while they didn't need to they were going to. Given the wide range of results we've seen to date and Nissan's silence, I'm beginning to feel that they aren't great and very close to a 3/4 ton.

·
363 Posts
I haven't heard of many people putting much weight in mpg changing as an engine breaks in. I've never experienced any significant mpg changes other than what would be expected related to things like speed, acceleration, roadway, weather, tire pressure, tow, haul loads.

Some owners manuals say there's no engine break in period. Other manuals tell you to thoughtfully drive softer the first 500 miles but that's partially related to covering their butts against initial failure liability and to letting the brakes and tires settle in.

·
857 Posts
I haven't heard of many people putting much weight in mpg changing as an engine breaks in. I've never experienced any significant mpg changes other than what would be expected related to things like speed, acceleration, roadway, weather, tire pressure, tow, haul loads.

Some owners manuals say there's no engine break in period. Other manuals tell you to thoughtfully drive softer the first 500 miles but that's partially related to covering their butts against initial failure liability and to letting the brakes and tires settle in.
While the owners manual says that, I believe in learning from a range of sources the upsides/downsides of going about the initial ownership months a specific way.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
The ECU's in the current truck's are "learning". I got better mileage after the first 1,000 miles, and then again at ~ 10,000 miles. However, this engine is not built by Nissan so ??

·
772 Posts
The ECU's in the current truck's are "learning". I got better mileage after the first 1,000 miles, and then again at ~ 10,000 miles. However, this engine is not built by Nissan so ??
aren't they all "run" before install anyways? or is that just something i heard wrong at some point in my life.

·
492 Posts
aren't they all "run" before install anyways? or is that just something i heard wrong at some point in my life.
If you are referring to the engine being run before it is installed, the yes, some of them are "HOT tested" and others are "Cold tested" at the Cummins factory according to the video at the Cummins engine assembly plant. I assume that Hot testing is actually running the engine...not sure what Cold testing involves.
The ECU in the truck will learn your driving style, and adjust engine parameters accordingly.

·
857 Posts
If you are referring to the engine being run before it is installed, the yes, some of them are "HOT tested" and others are "Cold tested" at the Cummins factory according to the video at the Cummins engine assembly plant. I assume that Hot testing is actually running the engine...not sure what Cold testing involves.
The ECU in the truck will learn your driving style, and adjust engine parameters accordingly.
Is that done to every engine?

·
492 Posts

View Photo Gallery | 39 Photos
Photo 16/39 | On the Common Block assembly line, the heads are mated to the block, and camshafts, timing chains, glow plugs, oil pan, front cover, and any other part that the ISV and pickup engine have in common are installed. Once complete, the blocks shift to either the ISV or pickup line to have their specific turbocharger, injectors, accessories, and anything else unique to the engine's application installed before heading off to cold and/or hot testing.

I couldn't find the video, but the caption above mentions it.

See entire website here:
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1509-titan-xd-cummins-5-0l-columbus-engine-plant-tour/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts