Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I go through tires about as fast as JLo goes through dudes since I drive about 40K a year. My last 3 sets of tires have all been Ridge Grapplers, which I have really liked. They looked great and are super quiet, yet their average mileage I've gotten out of them has been 45,000 miles per set. The prices of Ridge Graps have gone way up from when I first bought them. I have this issue with tire companies in that, the cost of raw materials (rubber) is highly dependent on the price of oil. And when the price of oil goes up, the tire companies are never bashful about raising prices on their tires. Yet, when oil tanks the prices never go down (so anyone looking for short term investments note tire company profit win falls boost when oil prices drop). So with the cost of new Ridge Grapplers being about $1400 OTD, I decided to take a shot with an off brand - Patriot tires (Omni is the parent company out of Singapore). They are the same company that makes Radar Renegade tires.

The Patriot R/T stands for Rugged Terrain, its a tweener tire that is between an All Terrain and a Mud Terrain. I like the look of R/T tires, but I also am off road on a weekly basis for work and play. I am frequently in muddy, dirt, and sand conditions yet spend a slot of time driving on the highway. I also think R/T tires look great. Not quite as aggressive and loud as MT, but more meaty and beefy than an AT.

So I have the Patriots on now. Went with a 275/70/18 which their tire dimensions make that out to be a 33.4" tire. I'm amazed at how quiet the tire is. it is very slightly just a little louder than a Ridge Grappler (which is an extremely quiet tire given how aggressive it is). I can say I have no issue using my hands free phone given there is so little hum, definitely no rumble. About 5 years ago, I had a set of Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires. Instantly driving out of the tire company, I was concerned about road noise with the Trail Grappler. This Patriot tire is nothing like that level of road noise. The best I can describe is its just slightly more road noise than a Ridge Grappler, but definitely not a MT level of road noise.

My single only regret at this point is not getting the 34.2" tire (295/70/18) as I went with the 33.4" tire (275/70/18).

I decided to give them a shot because I go through tires so often, I was able to pick up a set of 33.4" tires for $720 before tax, $760 after tax. With mounting and balancing for $110, I'm OTD for $870. I was going to be at +$1300 OTD for a set of comparable Ridge Grapplers, 50% more money. If Ridge Graps were 10-20% more, I would have stuck with them. But for that kind of savings, I figured it was worth a shot and I could provide a review throughout the next year of use.

·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are those the tires made by the diesel ****, I mean diesel brothers? Lol I really cant stand those guys, too bad too cause I like that tire, but I refuse to help them line their pockets
i don't think so. They are made by Omni who is based in Singapore. I think the tires are manufactured in either Taiwan or Thailand. I highly doubt the diesel douches rep these. Omni may have other manufacturing plants in the US. They bought a couple of US based tire companies and rolled them into their company. I'm not sure if the tires were made here or over seas. So far, I love the tires. Ride is smooth and I still can't believe the road noise is barely noticeable. For the money, they seem like a good deal. Obviously, have no idea on how they will last. I'll update as I get some miles on them. I'll burn through this set in a year with the way i drive.

·
68 Posts
No, those tires by the DB's are $400 per tire. Not only did they bring the EPA down on us, but their tires are crazy expensive. I like my Cooper Discoverer AT3 LTX, so far. Got into HEAVY rain in FL pulling the 5'er (see, now that I own one I can use the lingo!) And they were impeccable.

·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Okay @TBPs - gotta bump this thread and hear how those tires are doing!!
Fantastic so far! Love them. Everyone gives compliments on them. I'm at 16,500 miles on them so far and I estimate to get between 40K-50K out of them. Still very quiet, surprisingly. I've used them off road while hunting and performance was excellent. Overall, I'll definitely be buying again unless something changes in the next 30,000 miles. So far, fantastic performance. On the next set I get, I will go up in size to the 34.3" tires though. I like it to fill up the wheel well a little more. The 33's aren't bad, but the +34's are much better looking with these trucks.

·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, hit a 18" piece of all thread on the interstate today with one of my Patriot AT's. While I will need a new tire, its worth noting that the issue was uneventful, no blow out, no safety issue with it. These tires are really made well and have held up nicely. Again, I expect to get 40K-50K miles out of them based on what they have done so far.

·
19 Posts
Well, hit a 18" piece of all thread on the interstate today with one of my Patriot AT's. While I will need a new tire, its worth noting that the issue was uneventful, no blow out, no safety issue with it. These tires are really made well and have held up nicely. Again, I expect to get 40K-50K miles out of them based on what they have done so far. View attachment 45972
Well, hit a 18" piece of all thread on the interstate today with one of my Patriot AT's. While I will need a new tire, its worth noting that the issue was uneventful, no blow out, no safety issue with it. These tires are really made well and have held up nicely. Again, I expect to get 40K-50K miles out of them based on what they have done so far. View attachment 45972
You've got me considering those Patriot tires as well. Question, since you were considering the 295/70/18 tires, what size lift do you have? i'm installing a Pro Comp 2.5/1 lift, and would like a larger tire than 33".

·
293 Posts
2 Questions for y'all:
1) Anyone got a line on a place that has inventory at a good price?
2) Anyone tried the Patriot A/T's or H/T's?

After just 25K, my OEM Grabbers are nearly dead... probably not worth squealing about their "45K warranty"... unless one of you fine folk has a "secret sauce" for getting something worthwhile out of it?!

Russ

·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2 Questions for y'all:
1) Anyone got a line on a place that has inventory at a good price?
2) Anyone tried the Patriot A/T's or H/T's?

After just 25K, my OEM Grabbers are nearly dead... probably not worth squealing about their "45K warranty"... unless one of you fine folk has a "secret sauce" for getting something worthwhile out of it?!

Russ
Note the Patriot Tires come from the same manufacturer (Omni) as Radar tires, and the tires are literally the same. Walmart sells Radar Tires in some locations. I would call around at some of your local Walmart locations. I have not seen the H/Ts or A/T's anywhere, only R/T and M/T.

·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You've got me considering those Patriot tires as well. Question, since you were considering the 295/70/18 tires, what size lift do you have? i'm installing a Pro Comp 2.5/1 lift, and would like a larger tire than 33".
I'm running just a 2" Calmini in the front only. I think you can do it with a 2.5" lift, but a lot of that will depend on your wheels. I had 295/70/18 Ridge Grapplers on my XD Cummins with the stock P4X rims and the 2" level kit. Had little to no rubbing issues with stock rims. Once I went with an offset rim package, the rubbing was a lot worse and required a fair amount of cutting/trimming. I've done some measuring, and with a 3"/1" RC, I should be good with the 295/70/18s on my Method rims since I have already done trimming.

·
19 Posts
I'm running just a 2" Calmini in the front only. I think you can do it with a 2.5" lift, but a lot of that will depend on your wheels. I had 295/70/18 Ridge Grapplers on my XD Cummins with the stock P4X rims and the 2" level kit. Had little to no rubbing issues with stock rims. Once I went with an offset rim package, the rubbing was a lot worse and required a fair amount of cutting/trimming. I've done some measuring, and with a 3"/1" RC, I should be good with the 295/70/18s on my Method rims since I have already done trimming.
I plan to stay with my stock rims. I actually like them, just want a taller tire. Thx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts