Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
313 Posts
Wonder how heavy that boat+trailer is?

Thing about boat+trailers is that the tongue weight is often really low, maybe only 5%-10%, so you don't need as much truck payload. Guess they can get away with that 'cause the weight sits very low in a boat. Especially with an inboard motor, it's basically between the trailer wheels .

If that rig weighs 12K lbs and only 5% is TW, that's 600#, which explains why there's no weight distribution hitch. WDHs are very rare with boat haulers.

But you need more payload and a WDH with Campers; bumper pulls are often 12-15% TW, fifth wheels 15-25%. Mine is about 15%, or 1200# TW, and with all the other stuff we carry in the truck bed, I'm really interested in payload numbers. My current 2024# is barely sufficient.

·
772 Posts
Wonder how heavy that boat+trailer is?

Thing about boat+trailers is that the tongue weight is often really low, maybe only 5%-10%, so you don't need as much truck payload. Guess they can get away with that 'cause the weight sits very low in a boat. Especially with an inboard motor, it's basically between the trailer wheels .

If that rig weighs 12K lbs and only 5% is TW, that's 600#, which explains why there's no weight distribution hitch. WDHs are very rare with boat haulers.

But you need more payload and a WDH with Campers; bumper pulls are often 12-15% TW, fifth wheels 15-25%. Mine is about 15%, or 1200# TW, and with all the other stuff we carry in the truck bed, I'm really interested in payload numbers. My current 2024# is barely sufficient.
But weight is weight, regardless of where it is. the truck still needs to be able to pull it and stop it. the rest is just how much strain is on the rear axle, hitch, leaf springs etc. right? So if the Gross limit is "x" it doesn't matter where or how the weight is on the hitch?

·
313 Posts
But weight is weight, regardless of where it is. the truck still needs to be able to pull it and stop it. the rest is just how much strain is on the rear axle, hitch, leaf springs etc. right? So if the Gross limit is "x" it doesn't matter where or how the weight is on the hitch?
It's complicated.

There's the truck's GVWR (curb weight+payload), GCWR (curb weight+ tow capacity) and the two GAWRs. None of which you want to exceed. With most trucks and Campers you cannot pull the the max GCWR without first exceeding the GVWR or payload. That's because Campers have higher TWs than boat trailers and flat beds.

The fifth wheel or goose neck hitch is simple. Essentially all the pin weight goes on the rear axle and goes against GVWR and rear GAWR.

But with bumper pulls, there's also the Hitch Receiver ratings. The Hitch receiver usually has two ratings. A "weight carrying" and a "weight distributing" rating. The Weight Distributing rating only applies if you are using a WDH.

The "weight carrying" for Class 4 hitches is usually 500-600# TW and 5000-6000# trailer weight. Pretty low.

But with a (properly set up) Class 4 WDH you can often have 1200# TW and 12,000# trailer weight, or so. The WDH will shift weight off the truck's rear axle and back on to the front axle and trailer's axles.

Also, the truck is expected to pull the GCWR, but only has to stop the GVWR. Your trailer brakes are supposed to handle the difference.

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
313 Posts
It's complicated.

There's the truck's GVWR (curb weight+payload), GCWR (curb weight+ tow capacity)
So complicated I can't even get it right:
GCWR is roughly GVWR+tow capacity

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
I have to admit that I find them confusing too. I know what they are but I always get them mixed up.

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8415 + 1350 for the trailer =9765lbs.
If you add the Generator option, inflatable, navigation, air conditioning and Bimini your at 11,400ish with a 700-800 lb tongue weight. Not a boat you want to pull with a 1500.

I have a 26' center console that fully loaded is about 7000lbs with the trailer. My Pro4X with tow package is rated for 9500lbs and it's not a joy to pull up hill or long distance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts