Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I recently joined this forum in an attempt to hear feedback about my company's products. I work for Cummins Inc. in the Components business. I'm interested to see what people are experiencing with the engine and exhaust performance. My group works to solve the issues with the aftertreatment and I am looking to gain any knowledge I can so I thought this forum may help. Looking forward to seeing your posts and chatting with some of you.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Since your asking.
I am so glad to be out of my 2015 f150 and into an xd.
Power is okay but as tests have shown the results and feel aren't reflecting the over 550 ft lbs of torque, that this motor is stated to have. Maybe an extra 30-40hp and 60+ ft lbs of torque without effecting economy would put it more in line where everyone would hope it would be.

·
904 Posts
I would have to agree with ATC. I would like to see just a few more HP. This is my first diesel and it is quite a learning curve compared to my previous gasoline titans. Wish we could have tweaked it for just a little better fuel economy. But I am sure that is related to the epa. I have not gotten a chance to tow with it yet but looking forward to pulling the airstream around this summer. It is a nice truck!

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Yes what was supposed to be the best feature in this new xd. Cummins/aisin combo. It almost seems to be the weakest link. Not meaning reliability, but more it's capabilities. It should out tow all in the so called heavy half ton segment and do so with the best economy loaded or unloaded. Not expecting ecodiesel economy but should do better then other engines out there. The weight of the diesel also effects it's capacity as well.
It's a great truck that needs a little more jam to go with its cummins badge.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Hey everyone, I recently joined this forum in an attempt to hear feedback about my company's products. I work for Cummins Inc. in the Components business. I'm interested to see what people are experiencing with the engine and exhaust performance. My group works to solve the issues with the aftertreatment and I am looking to gain any knowledge I can so I thought this forum may help. Looking forward to seeing your posts and chatting with some of you.
Glad to have ya Greg,

I'll echo what the others have said, as much technology that's in this power plant, we where looking at mileage and drivability that could use some careful attention. I realize the RTC is a new concept and blending efficiency islands between two turbochargers isn't easy, I think it could be much better.

Starting with mileage. The after treatment seems to be decent from a reliability standpoint early on, not many posts or reports of serious component issues. DEF consumption and regens seem to need some tweaks. Most of the mileage deficit is during the regen, and depending on how folks drive it can cause it not to complete and restart. It would be helpful if Cummins published a guide on cycles and what to expect, I think you'll find happier customers if they knew how and when this system is activated. DEF consumption is kind of a misnomer, how about a ballpark published number on usage per mile so ease minds on usage which seems to be high on some trucks and not on others.

Now for drivability. I get it, a completely custom charge air system and there will be growing pains. I read the engineering papers on the Holset M2 system and realize really it threw some curve balls in development. The issue I think stems from the engine calibration. For a system designed around reducing lag on tip in...I think it needs some focus. I think the transitions between off idle to appropriate mid power levels is sluggish given the relatively small wheel mass of the first turbo. Could this be that mechanically, the actuator on the RTC is lagging itself, possibly. But I think software is the culprit. Oh, and we want an exhaust brake! Trans Cal seems to be spot on in most cases, although grade shifting as been hit or miss depending on load and speeds. I think Cummins should sit some butts in the seats with real owners and log data to see first hand outside of test environments to really get a feel for the powertrain. If Cummins wants the ISV to really make a stand in the market, these issues need to be ironed out. I have no doubts the powerplant can stand the test of time in maintenance and longevity, but efficiency at this point has been less than satisfactory mileage wise, and HP/Liter I think for such a modern build should be higher, because the power would help this heavy truck hold its own.

BigRed

·
857 Posts
Are you by any chance going to be able to give us information not available through the usual means available to the media or do they not allow employee's to do that? I think with some companies its allowed to an extent of course depending on what is being said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts