Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Nissan xd is giving me a ton of headaches. I am driving on the Highway or regular street the Nissan xd starts losing power and if I continue the driving, it will stop completely. If I turn it off, waited for about 15 minutes or more, it will start again and ran as nothing happened. I am diving and I can see a lot of black smoke coming out the muffler, sometimes I speed up and the stalling stops, some other times I have to turn it off wait for 10 or 15 minutes, then it will run like nothing happened. Help!!! I need help, I love the truck but this is getting annoying more and more.

·
395 Posts
Have you taken it to a shop to have it diagnosed?

That might the best first step.

I can think of at least half a dozen potential issues that might cause this behavior. First most obvious is that it is starving for fuel, restricted injector rails or fuel lines or pump or filters from debris or damage or contamination could cause this. If there is a problem with the gas tank or gas cap venting it could cause these symptoms, the more you drive and the faster it wants to pull fuel the greater the accumulated vacum due to inadequate or blocked vents which then makes it harder and harder to pull fuel. Malfunctioning ECU or faulty sensor(s) sending bad data to ECU. Excessively restricted exhaust, malfunctioning transmission or excessive drive train drag due to malfunction or component failure/damage.

There are a whole host of issues that can be assessed just by plugging it in to OBDII reader and computer.

I hope you are able to get it narrowed down quickly and back on the road.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well appreciated, I did take it to the Nissan dealership, but since it is a rebuilt title they don't want to touch it.

·
395 Posts
If no dealership assistance is to be forthcoming then track down a diesel shop that works with Cummins a lot, most should have plenty of experience with Cummins, and see what they can diagnose.

With so many things to narrow down/rule out it seems like it would be worth the cost to at least have them give it a look.

·
858 Posts
The easiest thing for you to do as a quick check is to look at the air filter. If it is plugged it could cause the lack of power and black smoke. Otherwise it will need to be taken to a shop to be diagnosed.

·
105 Posts
I would have said fuel delivery issue as well, but the piece of evidence that persuaded me to think otherwise is the black smoke.
Typically if your throwing a lot of unwarranted black smoke you may have an injector stuck open, or like someone else said a clogged air filter. Also could be turbo not creating enough boost. The diesel particulate matter is caused by a number of things but long story short there’s not enough air or boost for the amount of fuel in the combustion chamber. Tempatures plays a role too.

honestly man before your throw the parts cannon at it, unless you feel confident into conducting process of elimination yourself like checking sensors, checking fuel pressure, checking boost pressure, checking injector wiring harness for short or fault, I would just take it somewhere and spend the $80-200 depending on where you live for a diagnostics.

·
105 Posts
Plus correct me if I’m wrong but you will need a by directional scan tool for the injector test to make sure the injectors are operating properly and not stuck open. At least that’s how the power strokes were

·
417 Posts
I had that happen to me 3 times, right before my turbo took a crap. Don't understand the correlation (doesn't really make a whole lot of sense), but mine never stalled on me once until about 3 weeks before my turbo took a $hit. The 3 weeks leading up to that, it stalled at least 3 times including the last time when I had it towed to the dealer.

·
390 Posts
My 3 guesses: turbo/intercooler is full of oil blow-by, your fuel filter has a partial clog or are dirty, the turbo has sucked in the air filter.

·
395 Posts
I had that happen to me 3 times, right before my turbo took a crap. Don't understand the correlation (doesn't really make a whole lot of sense), but mine never stalled on me once until about 3 weeks before my turbo took a $hit. The 3 weeks leading up to that, it stalled at least 3 times including the last time when I had it towed to the dealer.
"right before" ?

I'd say the turbo was already failing.

·
417 Posts
"right before" ?

I'd say the turbo was already failing.

Correct, it was starting to go a long time before this happened. It was just the first I started to get concerned about it - and really noticed it. On the final 2 stalls, it did throw a turbo code. FYI. The other times it didn't. I did notice some turbo flutter on one occasion. If the OP isn't getting turbo flutter, it may not be the issue. I'd get it checked out regardless.

·
24 Posts
I read this forum and I purchased a 2017 Titan XD diesel. I love the truck, but hate the idea that 1. Nissan screwed over there customers 2. The resale on these trucks suck. 3. That I sold my dodge. And before any of you non getting laid tech geeks tell me that maybe this is not the forum for you bullshit, don’t. Whatever happen to freedom of speech and good old fashion customer service. Hallelujah and amen!
Clark W. Griswold

1 - 14 of 14 Posts