Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Nissan is apparently considering expanding its model range with a tuned version of its new Nissan Navara pickup truck. The news comes from Nismo's global boss of sales and marketing Darren Cox, who was speaking with CarAdvice at the Nismo Festival in Japan.

Darren Cox said, "In terms of product we need to be credible, pickup would be a massive seller for Nissan all around the world as it’s very much a global product. Nismo has to be a credible production car from Nissan that’s sporty and therefore we study the implications of that, a pickup could be an interesting product because of its global nature when we go into other markets."

So it looks like Nissan is adding some very exciting engines to its pickup trucks. This is a good strategy to bring more attention to Nissan trucks, which they could use since the American brands have a pretty big lock on the pickup market.

·
857 Posts
This would be a great move.
I always liked what NISMO does and seeing what they can do to a truck will be interesting.

How much more would you guys be willing to pay for a NISMO version?

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would be "being dumb about it" look like?

While I think this would be a cool product, I have to say that I wouldn't really be clamoring to buy it. If I am going to get a performance car then I would want a car or roadster and not a truck.

·
340 Posts
What would be "being dumb about it" look like?

While I think this would be a cool product, I have to say that I wouldn't really be clamoring to buy it. If I am going to get a performance car then I would want a car or roadster and not a truck.
No roadster can double as a desert runner. Ford Raptor looks pretty smart to me, don't lock performance in boxes

·
857 Posts
I remember seeing video's of people trying to jump it and using it for off-roading purpose, only to find out in a horrible way that, that is a horrible idea

·
340 Posts
I remember seeing video's of people trying to jump it and using it for off-roading purpose, only to find out in a horrible way that, that is a horrible idea
a mild factory desert prerunner was not made to come down on its nose and survive. Actually not even a prototype pre runner is designed to land on its nose in one piece.

If what you mean is you remember seeing videos of stupidity then I understand what you're saying, but don't blame the truck for not being able to do things it wasn't designed to do.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you factor in off roading it makes more sense, but as far as just driving down the street in a performance car, I would take the roadster.

·
340 Posts
When you factor in off roading it makes more sense, but as far as just driving down the street in a performance car, I would take the roadster.
Ok, but again thats a completely different offer and one that has no place in this discussion IMO. IF you would prefer a roadster then don't buy the NISMO. Simple.

Its not as if the NISMO is/will positioni itself as a roadster rival, but exactly what it is a souped up pickup truck, and for many in the market, thats just ok,...

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, but again thats a completely different offer and one that has no place in this discussion IMO. IF you would prefer a roadster then don't buy the NISMO. Simple.

Its not as if the NISMO is/will positioni itself as a roadster rival, but exactly what it is a souped up pickup truck, and for many in the market, thats just ok,...
I take your point. It is good for the market that it is trying to appeal to. I guess it's just the association that I have with NISMO in my head. I think of NISMO as a road or track performance brand. A more performance focused off road vehicle almost seems like it should get a different sub-brand moniker instead. But that's just my two cents.

·
340 Posts
I take your point. It is good for the market that it is trying to appeal to. I guess it's just the association that I have with NISMO in my head. I think of NISMO as a road or track performance brand. A more performance focused off road vehicle almost seems like it should get a different sub-brand moniker instead. But that's just my two cents.
I don't see how NISMO is any different than SVT or SRT who have both had their hands on Pickup trucks as well as dedicated performance cars. Or AMG which will soup the G wagon and build the SLS...

·
81 Posts
Yup, their aims are quite similar, just about along the same lines as any car maker that wants a performance division

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, in the end the name of the vehicle doesn't really matter. I think that this will be a cool vehicle. I am curious to see what it can do. Hopefully they put out a video that shows what the Navara NISMO is capable of. Hopefully it can do some good speed while it is taking on some rough terrain at the same time.

·
340 Posts
Au contratre the name of a vehicle is extremely important. Chevy tried to sell the Nova in south america, yet no one bought it. Why? because Nova or No Va, means NO GO, you want to buy a car thats no go? LOL Theres a whole bunch like that, Buick sold the LaCrosse in Canada, yet it pissed off people in Quebec because Lacrosse means to pleasure yourself, Opel sold the Ascona in Spain and portugal, yet the name meant vagina

what if it was called the Nissan go **** yourself?

Regardless, this is irrelevant to us...

·
857 Posts
Au contratre the name of a vehicle is extremely important. Chevy tried to sell the Nova in south america, yet no one bought it. Why? because Nova or No Va, means NO GO, you want to buy a car thats no go? LOL Theres a whole bunch like that, Buick sold the LaCrosse in Canada, yet it pissed off people in Quebec because Lacrosse means to pleasure yourself, Opel sold the Ascona in Spain and portugal, yet the name meant vagina

what if it was called the Nissan go **** yourself?

Regardless, this is irrelevant to us...
lmao that's brutal, it also goes to show how much better they could have done with doing research on the market they plan on getting into and making sure this does happen, valuable lesson.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, names can matter and do matter, but most of the time the name is not the make or break feature of a car -- most of the time.

·
857 Posts
For sure, there's more to it than just the name, fortunately there haven't been names bad enough to have me not consider getting a specific vehicle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts