Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Nissan has invoked American heroism, athleticism, ingenuity, and ambition in it's latest ad for the Titan called "Shoulders of Giants".

The whole commercial lays out a narrative that Americans are constantly building on the successes of previous generations.

"Chevy. Ford. Dodge. Thank you. We see the way forward."

A bold statement. Nissan thanks those brands and is now standing on their shoulders and advancing the pickup truck further.

Well, we will have to be the judge of that ultimately. Great commercial though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8tKtYXztzY

·
857 Posts
Smart move since that will help them get the attention of people already in other brands that are open to options from the competition.
At this point they need it more than ever and can leverage it more than they could in the past.

·
19 Posts
The whole commercial lays out a narrative that Americans are constantly building on the successes of previous generations.

"Chevy. Ford. Dodge. Thank you. We see the way forward."
The reason behind the trucks they chose to show are quite interesting.

-- The 1972 Chevy C-10 “was the first truck to bridge the gap between a workman’s truck and a daily-driving truck.”
-- The Ford F150 co branded with Eddie Bauer....that brought luxury and accouterments to the category,
-- The 1985 W250 Dodge Ram was the first pickup with a powerful and reputable Cummins diesel engine.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
maybe I copied it wrong. 1995?
No.

My 5.9L was a 1991.5, intercooled b-series with the Bosch VE injection pump and mechanical diaphragm lift pump.

I just can't remember and I don't trust Wikipedia, but I'm reasonably certain 89 was the first year of the Dodge Cummins.

·
19 Posts
No.

My 5.9L was a 1991.5, intercooled b-series with the Bosch VE injection pump and mechanical diaphragm lift pump.

I just can't remember and I don't trust Wikipedia, but I'm reasonably certain 89 was the first year of the Dodge Cummins.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/01/2016-nissan-titan-xd-ad-pays-homage-to-pickup-giants.html

" What's most interesting is that the commercial pays homage to several iconic pickup trucks sold in the U.S.: the 1970 C10 Chevrolet (first marketed as capable daily driver), the 1985 Dodge W250 (the first with a Cummins engine) and the 1995 Ford F-150 (the first with an Eddie Bauer trim package). No doubt some non-truck viewers will cry foul for Nissan showing these classic pickups with the brand-new Titan XD, but that's where we should step in and correct their misunderstanding of what those pickups have meant to the auto industry."

http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/nisaan-s-truck-ad-calls-chevy-ford-dodge/302073/

"The competing trucks shown include the 1972 Chevy C10, which was known for bridging the gap between a work truck and a daily driving vehicle, Nissan executives said. Also shown is a 1985 Dodge truck that was the first truck with a Cummins diesel engine (the Titan XD uses a Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel); and a 1995 Ford F-150 that was co-branded with Eddie Bauer and a had a luxury interior, Nissan executives said."

I dunno, this "1985 Dodge+cummins" is the word that Nissan is putting out there.

I really don't know. Just found it interesting.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Won't be the first error Nissan has made with their press releases, doubt it will be the last.

Some of their people don't have a clue.

I think, and this is a big I think, but I believe 85 is when Dodge started working with Cummins to fit the B series to their truck.

Interesting bit of internet trivia that I can't substantiate: Ford was originally in line to get the B-series but they requested too many changes to the engine that Cummins refused due to it being a multi-platform engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts