Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
313 Posts

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
I expect it will be a different experience! Nissan's service manuals are good but not quite as good as Cummins. The Cummins service manual is actually a text book, for getting qualified. I would hazard a guess that Cummins will require any tech to be certified to work on the ISV.

I hope they don't make you sign a NDA so you can tell us what it was like!

Have you noticed the similar design of the ISV heads and valvetrain to to VH45?

·
857 Posts
ISV Certification is more than likely a must, as that will take away lot of guess work and future problems. Would be surprised to hear about some tech saying he got sent out to training for just that.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
actually good question, does cummins require their own schooling/certs?
My Dads best friend is a manager for a Cummins dealership and I needed a seal installed into the front timing cover because I didn't have the tool for it. He took me back to one of his techs in the heavy rebuild shop "You're certified on the B-series right?"
"Yes"
"Put this seal in."

·
313 Posts
My guess is the Nissan techs would be certified on the Cummins 5L with the Holset Turbo, but the Cummins techs would only know about the ISV with the single stage turbo.

Have heard that the Nissan Cummins only uses about 70% of the ISV and that the Holset two stage is unique to the Nissan, not part of the ISV.

(and have never heard of exhaust brake with the Holset, only with the single stage ISV turbo ... for whatever that's worth)

·
313 Posts
(and have never heard of exhaust brake with the Holset, only with the single stage ISV turbo ... for whatever that's worth)
But now I have:

http://www.cumminsturbotechnologies.com/CTT/CTTContent/CTTUS/SiteContent/en/BinaryAsset/PDFs/Downloads/HTi_edition_15.pdf

P.5 talks about the Holset M2 turbos going into the Nissan Cummins.

If the rotary valve is closed completely, the exhaust passages are blocked providing an engine brake without needing any extra hardware
So it's definitely doable. Now I just want to know how Nissan implements this function.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I have been told Nissan will do all the training on the new cummins engine

·
857 Posts
Here's a good read on what exactly they'll be doing about training:

NASHVILLE -- Nissan executives have promised that next year's redesigned Titan pickup, with an optional 5.0-liter V-8 diesel, will be a bold new product for the brand.

But it is also a new service challenge: The brand's 1,070 U.S. dealerships have not handled diesel engines in Nissan vehicles before.

The automaker is creating a dealer education program to roll out next year that taps trainers from the engine's supplier, Cummins Inc., and instructors from Nissan North America, says Mario Polit, Nissan's director of product, service & technical training.

"We are co-developing curricula with Cummins using a combination of e-learning, in-classroom and hands-on workshop training that will be conducted at all of our 11 training centers across the country," Polit says. "We will also leverage satellite training facilities in key markets."

Cummins' training will underscore Nissan's marketing plans for the Titan. In August, Fred Diaz, Nissan's U.S. sales and operations boss, said the automaker intends to involve Cummins in marketing the diesel-equipped truck to give the Titan a stronger "built in America" identity.

Nissan will be one of just two Asian brands planning to offer diesels in the U.S. Mazda plans to roll out a small-displacement diesel engine but has twice delayed its introduction.

Chrysler Group also offers an optional diesel, a V-6, in the Ram 1500.

The redesigned Titan is expected to launch in the second half of 2015. Nissan wants to have at least one technician skilled in diesel technology at each dealership in time for the launch. Polit believes it will take two months to move all of Nissan's dealerships through that first training wave.

Nissan also is hinting that there could be more diesels to come for the brand from Cummins. Planners are sizing up the feasibility of offering a four-cylinder diesel in the next-generation Frontier midsize pickup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts