Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5% of the US full size truck market...

SAN FRANCISCO -- Nissan Motor Corp. startled many auto industry observers last week when it said it envisioned the redesigned 2016 Titan capturing 5 percent of the U.S. full-size pickup market.

But Nissan’s U.S. boss, Jose Munoz, says 5 percent might be on the low side.

“I would say ‘more than 5 percent,’” clarified Munoz, chairman of Nissan North America. “Five percent is the basis for our investment. Less than that would be considered by us as not very successful. Anything more than that would be good.”
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150122/RETAIL06/150129929/big-sales-goal-for-new-titan-may-be-low-nissans-munoz-says

·
608 Posts
5% may seem like a reasonable goal but I'm not even sure if they can get to that. What do they have now, like 3%?

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
120,000 sales...

ford sells F-150s about half that total every month, eff they sell alot of trucks...

·
608 Posts
I suppose it is a reasonable goal but that doesn't mean that it will be easy for them to reach it. I think the fact that they make that its goal shows that they have relatively modest expectations for the Titan. They realize its an uphill battle.

·
857 Posts
5% may seem like a reasonable goal but I'm not even sure if they can get to that. What do they have now, like 3%?
the beauty of making a goal like that publically known is chances are they know they can achieve that... in fact they might have a goal much higher that is only known internally ;)

·
608 Posts

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Kudos for them for setting themselves an ambitious goal. Record setting truck sales will be pretty hard to achieve though. I just wonder what Nissan believes the big draw to the Titan will be. It is a nice truck, but I am not sure how much conquest they will be able to get.
The same thing that saved Dodge Ram, the Cummins.

·
665 Posts
cost is going to be a HUGE factor, why Titan XD if a full 2500 (with Cummins) is a couple K in reach...
Well a heavy half ton diesel will be a hit in the oil fields up here, simply because once it gets its standard load of gear it will ride much better than a fullsize truck.

There is a marked difference between ride quality of half-ton trucks and 3/4 ton trucks and when you drive 200km a day on crappy gravel roads it gets annoying fast.

·
313 Posts
Well a heavy half ton diesel will be a hit in the oil fields up here, simply because once it gets its standard load of gear it will ride much better than a fullsize truck.

There is a marked difference between ride quality of half-ton trucks and 3/4 ton trucks and when you drive 200km a day on crappy gravel roads it gets annoying fast.
The 2014+ RAM 2500 has coil rear springs that are supposed to give a ride almost as good as a RAM 1500. I haven't driven one, that's just what I've read in reviews. It might be as good or better than the Titan XD's.

When you load the RAM 2500 up with the big Cummins, the payload drops to around 2000#, similar to the XD. But you will get more torque and worse mileage than the Nissan Cummins.

Price will be important for these trucks to sell. Gotta be thousands less than that RAM/Cummins 2500.

For me, another issue will be dealer/repair availability. There are Ford and Chevy dealers in every backwoods little town. And they all are familiar with their trucks. Nissan dealers, not so much, and it's a brand new truck/engine.

Reactions: Bianchi

·
665 Posts
I would imagine Nissan will have a similar arrangement that Dodge does, any engine troubles can be serviced at an Cummins authorized repair center.

The ISV is a Cummins engine after all.

·
313 Posts
I would imagine Nissan will have a similar arrangement that Dodge does, any engine troubles can be serviced at an Cummins authorized repair center.

That would be awesome esp. for warranty work. Lots of Cummins engines and repair shops out there.

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

How expansive is the Cummins service network?

·
857 Posts
That would indeed be a good way to go about it, having places authorized to service it, but what are the chances of that happening?

·
665 Posts
How expansive is the Cummins service network?
I can't give an accurate answer to that, however here in British Columbia there are a number of Cummins outlets in major industrial centers. In the oil fields more so.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts