Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 317 Posts

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can we expect city, highway and combined mileage to be like on the Titan Diesel?

I'm thinking highway MPG could be around the mid-20's.

·
340 Posts
RAM rejected the 5,0 Cummins V8 because the best fuel economy they could achieve was 24 mpg, the threshold was 26 (for them).

So a good place to begin assuming is the 24 mpg figure from RAM... We'll see what happens in the real world. I'm also not sure of how RAM achieved that 24 mpg...

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the RAM 1500 Diesel, I remember reading that it's highway mileage was around 28mpg, not bad for the 30-liter V6 it comes with.

I came across a source that's suggesting the new Titan Diesel should get around 24mpg highway.

Although it would be great to get more mpg's, like the RAM Diesel V6, knowing that we are getting Cummins V8 makes me feel better as Cummins engines are known to be very reliable.

·
608 Posts
Is there anything about the Titan Diesel that could make its mpg rating better than what the Ram 1500 got with the same engine? Is it lighter or something?

24 mpg isn't bad, but it also isn't going to be class leading or anything.

·
55 Posts
For the RAM 1500 Diesel, I remember reading that it's highway mileage was around 28mpg, not bad for the 30-liter V6 it comes with.

I came across a source that's suggesting the new Titan Diesel should get around 24mpg highway.

Although it would be great to get more mpg's, like the RAM Diesel V6, knowing that we are getting Cummins V8 makes me feel better as Cummins engines are known to be very reliable.
For sure, but Motori is a storied and reliable brand as well. They have a long history with Marine and HEAVY diesels...

·
81 Posts
RAM rejected the 5,0 Cummins V8 because the best fuel economy they could achieve was 24 mpg, the threshold was 26 (for them).

So a good place to begin assuming is the 24 mpg figure from RAM... We'll see what happens in the real world. I'm also not sure of how RAM achieved that 24 mpg...
I read up on how some people were able to get up to 28mpg, which is great, but then again so many things factor into the MPG number you get in the end.

·
608 Posts
I just wonder how well the Titan Diesel will do with fuel mileage that really isn't anything too special. I think that is one of the supposed benefits of the diesel engine, but the Titan isn't really going to capitalize on that potential.

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just wonder how well the Titan Diesel will do with fuel mileage that really isn't anything too special. I think that is one of the supposed benefits of the diesel engine, but the Titan isn't really going to capitalize on that potential.
well it's not all about mileage, it's something that does factor in, just one of many.
towing capacity is another one, diesels have torque.

·
608 Posts
If the Titan is lagging behind in fuel mileage then they will have to step it up to be a segment leader in some other area. It would be cool if they are able to create a Titan with class leading towing or something. I'm not holding my breathe though.

·
55 Posts
If the Titan is lagging behind in fuel mileage then they will have to step it up to be a segment leader in some other area. It would be cool if they are able to create a Titan with class leading towing or something. I'm not holding my breathe though.
Why not? A Cummins 5.0 V8 blows away the rest of the competition in terms of raw capability. 550+ ft-lbs of twist is over 100 ft-lbs (projected) more than the next closest rival. I don't doubt that they can offer the most capability, the question is if consumers will care...

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That last point is important, something which we may only truly see when it comes times for people to take preorders of these and even when it arrives at dealers and when people get to compare both this and the RAM 1500 diesel.

·
55 Posts
That last point is important, something which we may only truly see when it comes times for people to take preorders of these and even when it arrives at dealers and when people get to compare both this and the RAM 1500 diesel.
I actually doubt they will. The RAM is an offer based on efficiency, the Titan is based on raw capability. One market is substantially smaller than the other ;)

·
81 Posts
I actually doubt they will. The RAM is an offer based on efficiency, the Titan is based on raw capability. One market is substantially smaller than the other ;)
That is very true. they're different and target people with different needs.

·
313 Posts
well the only way you'll truly come out on top in the fuel econ wars is if you're a consistent tower...
^^^ This ^^^
But the RAM EcoD doesn't have the payload to tow squat.
It's basically a "grocery-getter".

If you need to tow/haul anything substantial in the "half-ton" category you need to upgrade to a gasser V8 (GMC, RAM, Ford) or an EcoBoost (Ford). Even there, the RAMs have pretty low payloads. The GMC/chevy can have 2000# max payload, but the Ford EcoBoost can be put in a HD Payload truck with 3000# payload.

But all these will be gas-hogs when working hard.

You really need a medium sized diesel in a capable truck to get better mileage when tow/hauling heavy. The Nissan with Cummins 5L in a 2500# payload truck would be awesome.

·
608 Posts
Are you thinking the capability is the more desirable factor? Because I have a feeling it might be efficiency actually.

·
81 Posts
I see both of those being big factors that could very well be on par with each other when it comes to importance when people like us go to buy trucks like this

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Hyper milling for the best efficiency, the ecodiesel is likely to win. It has a lower rotating mass and fewer parts.

Both engines being diesel, they will be able to offer a good portion of their pulling power at low rpm. Depending on gearing this could actually prove to be an advantage for the 5.0L because of more cylinders firing.

A comparable situation, while pulling a load the 6.0L Powerstroke was not happy with full fuel at 2100rpm. It wanted to be above 3000 to get the job done. The 7.3L powerstroke may have had a lower torque rating, but the available torque started at 1500 rpm. Of the two trucks, comparably loaded, the 7.3L netted superior fuel economy.

So in a situation where the trucks have to work, to pull a load, the 5.0L will likely be the winner for efficiency.

1 - 20 of 317 Posts