Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
261 - 280 of 319 Posts

·
1 Posts
Great info in this post.

My 2016 had 32500 when i bought it. It has a leveling kit and 35" Toyo Mud Tires.

My first trip was from the Carolina Coast to Memphis. Averaged around 14.5 running 80-90mph. Not what I expected, but was overall impressed with the truck. Plenty of top end power.

My biggest gripe to date is that it needs more fuel capacity. I'm getting about 300-330 miles avg to the tank. That's just getting comfortable on 500+ mile trip. Anyone added a reserve tank?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Titan tank

Great info in this post.

My 2016 had 32500 when i bought it. It has a leveling kit and 35" Toyo Mud Tires.

My first trip was from the Carolina Coast to Memphis. Averaged around 14.5 running 80-90mph. Not what I expected, but was overall impressed with the truck. Plenty of top end power.

My biggest gripe to date is that it needs more fuel capacity. I'm getting about 300-330 miles avg to the tank. That's just getting comfortable on 500+ mile trip. Anyone added a reserve tank?
find the thread on the (Titan 50 gallon tank) I would link it for you but heading out the door..

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Great info in this post.

your mpg is what it is at those speeds because of the 3.9 gears in rear, Rpm's ,once above 1500rpm diesles drop mileage for HP, not torque So if you want 24 mpg stay below 68mph and use cruise

·
742 Posts
your mpg is what it is at those speeds because of the 3.9 gears in rear, Rpm's ,once above 1500rpm diesles drop mileage for HP, not torque So if you want 24 mpg stay below 68mph and use cruise
Indeed - it is easy to get 23-24 setting cruise at 65 and leaving it alone.

I just completed another dog food run to NoVA. 13MPG pulling the empty trailer up (2100lb) and 11.7 coming back - only 4600lb this time.

Put 46 gallons in the tank last night - cut that one a little close!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts

I just completed another dog food run to NoVA. 13MPG pulling the empty trailer up (2100lb) and 11.7 coming back - only 4600lb this time.

You need to change your rear ratio, I'm in the progress of doing mine using the gasser ratio 3:33, this would make a big difference at your cruise speeds ptting the rpm's below [email protected], would have to run the numbers with tire size to give you exact speed and rpm values

Ric
Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
1,409 Posts

You need to change your rear ratio, I'm in the progress of doing mine using the gasser ratio 3:33, this would make a big difference at your cruise speeds ptting the rpm's below [email protected], would have to run the numbers with tire size to give you exact speed and rpm values

Ric
Enjoy
Do you have a 4x4? Cause i would think that changing the rear ratio would present a problem when in 4x4 mode,,,

·
742 Posts
I would never lower the gear ratio, especially when towing. Lower final gear ratios lead to higher torque requirements on the drive shaft, u-joints, and transmission output, to apply the same force at the wheels. Lowering the ratio would be unwise at best and monumentally destructive at worst.

·
10 Posts
2017 Titan XD Platinum Reserve -- Diesel

New to the Forums, and trying to learn as much as I can about this truck as my cousin has me take it to the dealer for service and problem corrections. This truck is totally stock and was purchased new on August 8, 2017 and in the intervening time has covered 5,500 miles (approximately 1,000 miles on odometer when purchased from dealer trade). It has four-wheel drive but does not have any of the special off-road options.

The tuck has had reliability problems compounded by horrible fuel economy. I am accustomed to driving a K2500 Suburban with 7400 VORTEC and 4.10 gearing -- and it surpasses this truck in all measures of fuel economy whether city or highway -- towing or solo. The best has been seen with this truck is 12.6 MPG on the highway, solo for one trip of 120 miles. The normal is 9.6 to 11.5 MPG on the highway. It has only been able to tow the flatbed car hauler once for a total distance of 100 miles (trailer with auto 4,400 pounds) and on that trip, it returned an average of 8.3 MPG (really worried what that will look like with 6,100 pound Airstream travel trailer). City mileage, if that is what you would call driving about in the rural community where this truck resides averages about 7.3 MPG.

At 200,000 miles, my 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban still returns 9.6 MPG around town and 17 MPG on the highway solo. Its overall towing average with a 6,100 pound Airstream travel trailer is 12 MPG. Its towing range with a full tank of gas is slightly in excess of 500 miles.

The Titan and Suburban are driven in like manners (maximum speed solo 70 MPH -- maximum with trailer 60 MPH), so it is hard for me to understand why the Nissan's fuel economy is so low -- needless to say with the premium now charged for diesel fuel, the cost of operating the Nissan is significantly more than the Suburban. Hopefully the Nissan may improve with more miles on the odometer, but my optimism is fading.

David

·
64 Posts
New to the Forums, and trying to learn as much as I can about this truck as my cousin has me take it to the dealer for service and problem corrections. This truck is totally stock and was purchased new on August 8, 2017 and in the intervening time has covered 5,500 miles (approximately 1,000 miles on odometer when purchased from dealer trade). It has four-wheel drive but does not have any of the special off-road options.

The tuck has had reliability problems compounded by horrible fuel economy. I am accustomed to driving a K2500 Suburban with 7400 VORTEC and 4.10 gearing -- and it surpasses this truck in all measures of fuel economy whether city or highway -- towing or solo. The best has been seen with this truck is 12.6 MPG on the highway, solo for one trip of 120 miles. The normal is 9.6 to 11.5 MPG on the highway. It has only been able to tow the flatbed car hauler once for a total distance of 100 miles (trailer with auto 4,400 pounds) and on that trip, it returned an average of 8.3 MPG (really worried what that will look like with 6,100 pound Airstream travel trailer). City mileage, if that is what you would call driving about in the rural community where this truck resides averages about 7.3 MPG.

At 200,000 miles, my 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban still returns 9.6 MPG around town and 17 MPG on the highway solo. Its overall towing average with a 6,100 pound Airstream travel trailer is 12 MPG. Its towing range with a full tank of gas is slightly in excess of 500 miles.

The Titan and Suburban are driven in like manners (maximum speed solo 70 MPH -- maximum with trailer 60 MPH), so it is hard for me to understand why the Nissan's fuel economy is so low -- needless to say with the premium now charged for diesel fuel, the cost of operating the Nissan is significantly more than the Suburban. Hopefully the Nissan may improve with more miles on the odometer, but my optimism is fading.

David
Your suburban is a one of a kind exception to every Surburban I have been around. Sounds too good to be true !

Attachments

·
200 Posts
hello David and welcome! there is DEFINITELY an issue with your XD -- mine has never gotten worse than 12-13 mpg in the city (heavy bumper to bumper traffic stop and go) and typically 18-20+ on the highway at 70 and below (no towing). with my 8-9k lb Pace enclosed car trailer hauling to and from racetracks (almost all highway with some rural roads no city driving) I typically see 11-12.5 mpg (usually around 60-65 mph). i've never seen worse than 10.5 mpg towing and that was in the mountains on all rural roads with lots of stops and turns. i currently am just short of 9k miles total on my truck (bought it brand new).

so, my guess with yours is that it's stuck in some kind of very frequent regen-loop and is burning tons of fuel. take it to a good Nissan dealer that has experience working on the Cummins XDs and let them have it for a while. when you get it back you should drive it for a week and burn through a whole tank of fuel and even in mixed driving should be seeing somewhere around at least 15ish mpg if it's running properly.

BTW I came from a 2003 Chevy 2500HD with the 8.1 liter Vortec (the spiritual successor to your 454 big block); it towed GREAT but was 9 mpg at best towing the same exact trailer that I still use. and it was around 11mpg when not towing. I never broke 12 mpg with that truck in it's entire lifespan (it too had 4.10 gears). so my Titan XD is almost a 50% improvement in fuel economy and I really notice that! get yours looked at and fixed and you'll be so much happier; good luck man!

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts

That was cutting it close... 65 with cruise does produce great results.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts

David
How many actual driven miles are you getting out of the 26 gallon tank? Have you used the trip gauge function to cross the check dash calculation?
If the mileage is that bad I would first focus on this one problem with the dealer and nail it down.
I've noticed you've posted a plethora of other problems but if it were me I would be focused entirely on this issue.
We might can help after you have validated the raw fuel mileage and actual range of a tank of fuel.

·
10 Posts
New to Forums -- Owner since 8-8-2017

Greetings d15b7!

hello David and welcome! there is DEFINITELY an issue with your XD -- mine has never gotten worse than 12-13 mpg in the city (heavy bumper to bumper traffic stop and go) and typically 18-20+ on the highway at 70 and below (no towing). with my 8-9k lb Pace enclosed car trailer hauling to and from racetracks (almost all highway with some rural roads no city driving) I typically see 11-12.5 mpg (usually around 60-65 mph). i've never seen worse than 10.5 mpg towing and that was in the mountains on all rural roads with lots of stops and turns. i currently am just short of 9k miles total on my truck (bought it brand new).

so, my guess with yours is that it's stuck in some kind of very frequent regen-loop and is burning tons of fuel. take it to a good Nissan dealer that has experience working on the Cummins XDs and let them have it for a while. when you get it back you should drive it for a week and burn through a whole tank of fuel and even in mixed driving should be seeing somewhere around at least 15ish mpg if it's running properly.

BTW I came from a 2003 Chevy 2500HD with the 8.1 liter Vortec (the spiritual successor to your 454 big block); it towed GREAT but was 9 mpg at best towing the same exact trailer that I still use. and it was around 11mpg when not towing. I never broke 12 mpg with that truck in it's entire lifespan (it too had 4.10 gears). so my Titan XD is almost a 50% improvement in fuel economy and I really notice that! get yours looked at and fixed and you'll be so much happier; good luck man!

Thank You for the welcome! We have been considering the idea of taking the truck to a dealer in the St. Louis area who might have technicians with more experience with the Titan Diesel, but at 140 plus miles one-way it is a decision that isn't going to be easy -- and then it is the question of which dealer.

David

·
10 Posts
New to Forums -- Owner since 8-8-2017

Greetings Arice!

How many actual driven miles are you getting out of the 26 gallon tank? Have you used the trip gauge function to cross the check dash calculation?
If the mileage is that bad I would first focus on this one problem with the dealer and nail it down.
I've noticed you've posted a plethora of other problems but if it were me I would be focused entirely on this issue.
We might can help after you have validated the raw fuel mileage and actual range of a tank of fuel.

My cousin has a firm rule that every vehicle is refueled before the gauge reaches half tank status. We compute fuel economy on the receipt for each fill-up as we have with any vehicle that either of us has owned. Typically, on a half tank we are getting just short of 100 miles -- it seems like this truck likes to visit every station with diesel fuel, although I was spoiled by my Suburban with a 45 gallon fuel tank.

David

P.S.: We have been focusing on getting the sudden loss of braking issues and the sudden loss of power issues as these pose a safety issue when driving -- particularly when leaving the rural area where my cousin resides.

·
50 Posts
My truck is an 18 XD Diesel Platinum Reserve 4x4. I've been getting an average of 17+mpg (on the computer) just on my day to day driving. We just took a 500 mile road trip this week, empty, just 2 people one way, 3 coming home. I zeroed out the trip meter and fuel mileage before I left. About an hour into the trip I was staying close to my normal 17 mpg and then took a dive, I am assuming I went into Regen, the average dipped to 15 mpg and then started creeping back up. The entire trip averaged (hand figured) about 16.8 mpg. Part of the trip included driving in Dallas traffic for a day. I was heavy on the throttle and brake a lot, pretty strong head wind one way, up hill the other way. I'm pretty satisfied with that. My 2012 Silverado 1500 4x4, and towing package, never got over 16.7 on the highway, empty, downhill, with a tailwind. I did find that the mileage, on the XD, seems to be a little better at 70 mph then it does it 75 mph.

As far as tank size goes.... My wife's 2018 Pathfinder seems to have a "small" tank also. It seems miles to empty when full on both vehicles is about 425+/-. Maybe Nissan thinks that is all a person needs.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Greetings Arice!

My cousin has a firm rule that every vehicle is refueled before the gauge reaches half tank status. We compute fuel economy on the receipt for each fill-up as we have with any vehicle that either of us has owned. Typically, on a half tank we are getting just short of 100 miles -- it seems like this truck likes to visit every station with diesel fuel, although I was spoiled by my Suburban with a 45 gallon fuel tank.

David

P.S.: We have been focusing on getting the sudden loss of braking issues and the sudden loss of power issues as these pose a safety issue when driving -- particularly when leaving the rural area where my cousin resides.
Based on what you said I think your XD is in a almost constant state of REGEN.
You need to know that if your XD goes into REGEN and you then shut if off before the regen completes (which takes at LEAST 20 miles under sustained operating temps and driving) it will go back into REGEN and continue to do so each time if you keep shutting the truck off before it completes and it will dramatically impact your mileage.
I encourage all folks, especially ones that don't tow frequently or that daily drive short distances, to get a ScanGauge or equivalent reader (see attached) so that you definitively know when your truck is in REGEN and you can then operate the truck until the REGEN completes.
You should also know that if the REGEN cycle is continuously not allowed to complete you will go into a "hard regen" which will basically put the truck in limp mode and shut you down until the DPF is cleaned.
I would also encourage reading the owners manual for inital engine break in procedures. Vehicle Car Measuring instrument Gauge Auto part

Vehicle Car Measuring instrument Gauge Auto part

·
275 Posts
Do you have any idea if the Edge Insight will display when you are in regen? A friend of mine has the Edge for gauges in his 2008 ram and I think that is what I want to go with on my Titan.

·
742 Posts

David
Something is wrong with it. The diesel should easily get 20+ on the highway when driven kindly. Are you positive the truck is unmodified? Is sounds like it was the dealer's play toy before you bought it, so it's possible whoever was driving it modified it and then did an RTS before sale and messed something up.

Do you have access to an OBDII scan tool? OBD Fusion with the $10 nissan plugin can read the codes from all of the on-board computers on the Titan. It might tell you something. I would suspect something with the emissions system before anything else. EGRs and Turbos are known to be prone to infant mortality on these engines, too.

Some parameters you definitely want to check are the DPF load and regen state. A Titan will get 10-12mpg in regeneration regardless of driving manner.

261 - 280 of 319 Posts