Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
281 - 300 of 319 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
The Titan and Suburban are driven in like manners (maximum speed solo 70 MPH -- maximum with trailer 60 MPH), so it is hard for me to understand why the Nissan's fuel economy is so low -- needless to say with the premium now charged for diesel fuel, the cost of operating the Nissan is significantly more than the Suburban. Hopefully the Nissan may improve with more miles on the odometer, but my optimism is fading.

David
Something is wrong with it. The diesel should easily get 20+ on the highway when driven kindly. Are you positive the truck is unmodified? Is sounds like it was the dealer's play toy before you bought it, so it's possible whoever was driving it modified it and then did an RTS before sale and messed something up.

Do you have access to an OBDII scan tool? OBD Fusion with the $10 nissan plugin can read the codes from all of the on-board computers on the Titan. It might tell you something. I would suspect something with the emissions system before anything else. EGRs and Turbos are known to be prone to infant mortality on these engines, too.

Some parameters you definitely want to check are the DPF load and regen state. A Titan will get 10-12mpg in regeneration regardless of driving manner.
I'm with you on dealer using as a toy...seen more than one kid of the owner or sales manager dog a vehicle or two.

·
107 Posts
I was astonished at my mileage towing my 5800lb enclosed tool trailer today for the first time, I live in northern Georgia and all of the the terrain is very hilly... The crazy part is how good it felt towing it...I didn’t baby it at all, nearly wide open when getting on the highway and from a dead stop and it was like it wasn’t even there...I am starting to wonder if my trailer breaks are actually working though, I don’t seem to get a response out of them or the truck just overpowers the really well...How do you guys check gain with the factory booster? Outside of reading the manual I’m kinda lost. All my trucks before this one either had a nice aftermarket booster or the factory one had plenty of feedback to let you know it was engaging.

Attachments

·
309 Posts
It wasn’t in 4x4....and now for the life of me I can’t figure out why the indicator looks like that???? I did however figure out the tbcu....wasn’t the truck, it was my trailer.
4x4 model highlights what drive is active in yellow so if you are on 2wd mode, 2 rear wheel in the dash is running yellow arrow light, 4x4 mode, all are running yellow arrows light. This is on 2018 model, so not sure if its the same with other year.

·
49 Posts
Just FYI, I average 15 mpg with the diesel in my stop and go driving. On highway trips I'm getting 22 mpg. I had my gas 2004 Titan 13 years and the overall 13 year average gas mileage was 14.8. I am spending $40 a month less on fuel for this Titan XD so far driving the same mileage. I'll be taking it cross country soon on a 6000 mile retirement trip. I'll report back on mileage after that.

·
118 Posts
Hey guys, 2016 diesel pro 4x with 19k miles... I average 12 mpg around town and haven’t seen better then 16mpg on highway. I see people getting way better and was wondering if there’s anything I should do or if I simply got a guzzler. I want to delete but recently had two TSB issues arise so that made me hesitant.

·
418 Posts
Hey guys, 2016 diesel pro 4x with 19k miles... I average 12 mpg around town and haven’t seen better then 16mpg on highway. I see people getting way better and was wondering if there’s anything I should do or if I simply got a guzzler. I want to delete but recently had two TSB issues arise so that made me hesitant.
2wd will see higher numbers that's why it's nice to know when guys are posting high mpg if they are in a 2wd or not. Hwy speed range from 55 to 85 so the numbers are always going to be all over the place due to where you live and your driving habits. Then add in the regular heavily fluffed numbers that you see on every forum and lie-o-meter vs hand calculated. My lie-o-meter is bang on now after I put my icon lift and 35s on it used to read high vs hand jamming the numbers.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
I'm rather impressed with my fuel mileage. 2018 sl 4x4 bone stock with 2500 miles... averaging 16.5 hand calculated. My lie o meter is exactly 1 mpg high (it shows 17.5). Getting around 19.5-20 on interstate at 75.

·
615 Posts
Those numbers are right on par with my 2016 Pro4X.

·
789 Posts
2016 stock Pro4X diesel 50k lie-o-meter combined usually sits at 17.6 unless I take a trip with highways miles and increase my around town. AM drive to work is 19-20.5, drive home in traffic can range from 18 -16. Best highway mpg is at 68 mph 22-23? Around town usually 13-15.

·
44 Posts
I'm rather impressed with my fuel mileage. 2018 sl 4x4 bone stock with 2500 miles... averaging 16.5 hand calculated. My lie o meter is exactly 1 mpg high (it shows 17.5). Getting around 19.5-20 on interstate at 75.
Our 2017 also stock, was getting mid 17's combined, lucky to get 18ish highway.
We recorded 8k mileage to compare against the lie-o-meter, it was virtually dead on for us... within .1 every time.

I'd love to get +20 MPG!!! just trying different stuff to squeeze a little better...

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
Our 2017 also stock, was getting mid 17's combined, lucky to get 18ish highway.
We recorded 8k mileage to compare against the lie-o-meter, it was virtually dead on for us... within .1 every time.

I'd love to get +20 MPG!!! just trying different stuff to squeeze a little better...
Delete is really the only thing that'll help and that wont even help that much. It's a heavy truck. I've compared my fuel mileage with my dads 2014 f250 and my bosses 2019 f250 and they dont get any better than we do... actually a little worse. So I'm perfectly happy with my 16 in town mpg

·
44 Posts
Delete is really the only thing that'll help and that wont even help that much. It's a heavy truck. I've compared my fuel mileage with my dads 2014 f250 and my bosses 2019 f250 and they dont get any better than we do... actually a little worse. So I'm perfectly happy with my 16 in town mpg
My friend in Wyoming has a F350, deleted it last fall, tuned, etc., and is sorely disappointed with the lackluster MPG "gain" - other than no more DEF, he advised us it wasn't worth the trouble, cost and cashing in your warranty early.

Why I'm looking into other cost effective ways to boost mileage when we're not towing, and haling about 1/2 ton in the back.
I'll put in a plug for that Back-Flip cover, after a year, with 40k miles on it, we really like it.

281 - 300 of 319 Posts