Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
301 - 319 of 319 Posts

·
1,324 Posts
My friend in Wyoming has a F350, deleted it last fall, tuned, etc., and is sorely disappointed with the lackluster MPG "gain" - other than no more DEF, he advised us it wasn't worth the trouble, cost and cashing in your warranty early.

Why I'm looking into other cost effective ways to boost mileage when we're not towing, and haling about 1/2 ton in the back.
I'll put in a plug for that Back-Flip cover, after a year, with 40k miles on it, we really like it.
Delete mpg vary depending on make model tuner tune power etc
I have multiple tuned fords and it doesn’t help their mpg much (especially if duallys)

Every XD and every tuner will increase mpg about 2mpg in mid power tunes.

The reason to tune is so you won’t need a warranty anymore. How is it no one is capable of grasping that...

·
44 Posts
Delete mpg vary depending on make model tuner tune power etc
I have multiple tuned fords and it doesn’t help their mpg much (especially if duallys)

Every XD and every tuner will increase mpg about 2mpg in mid power tunes.

The reason to tune is so you won’t need a warranty anymore. How is it no one is capable of grasping that...
Wow, something really got lost in translation with me - I don't know what you're talking about.
Why would I want to void a 100k warranty again?

·
1,324 Posts
Wow, something really got lost in translation with me - I don't know what you're talking about.
Why would I want to void a 100k warranty again?
Read the problems sections of this forum. Answer following q’s.

Q#1: What percentage listed are for emissions?
Q#2: how many tuned and deleted owners are in that section complaining about having to take their trucks in For warranty work?

Get back to me then. Very interested in your findings.

·
44 Posts
Well I wouldnt say deleting isn't worth it at all... deleting will make your motor last 10x longer. All the soot being put back into the motor is not good for it at all. Once I get 70k miles I'm deleting for sure.
"We" probably won't delete, ever.
Our truck is the Wife's, she's the farmer, I support her hobbies... and have a few of my own, which use the truck, occasionally.
One is fishing OBX, surf and offshore as often as I can.
The other takes me to sales events, which usually involves driving into buildings, unloading, loading... in pretty nice places... no smoke / odor!

But... this weekend, on a 200mi trip, we hit 2 regens, first one was right after we filled up & reset the MPG. By the time it finished, 11mpg, and slowly crawled up to 17's, just to go through a 2nd regen 150mi later, and MPG fall back to 15ish. Even with that kinda crap going on, the MPG gauge still comes out within .1 mpg.
By the time we fill up, it'll be solid into 18.x MPG again.

Still looking for that +20MPG though.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
"We" probably won't delete, ever.
Our truck is the Wife's, she's the farmer, I support her hobbies... and have a few of my own, which use the truck, occasionally.
One is fishing OBX, surf and offshore as often as I can.
The other takes me to sales events, which usually involves driving into buildings, unloading, loading... in pretty nice places... no smoke / odor!

But... this weekend, on a 200mi trip, we hit 2 regens, first one was right after we filled up & reset the MPG. By the time it finished, 11mpg, and slowly crawled up to 17's, just to go through a 2nd regen 150mi later, and MPG fall back to 15ish. Even with that kinda crap going on, the MPG gauge still comes out within .1 mpg.
By the time we fill up, it'll be solid into 18.x MPG again.

Still looking for that +20MPG though.
Why wouldnt you delete? You like having to add def fluid and go through regens and put soot back into motor? You must not understand what this emissions system is doing to your motor. It will never last like it sits. If you plan to keep this truck for 200k or more you better plan on deleteing... and that goes for any diesel on the market today.

·
44 Posts
Why wouldnt you delete? You like having to add def fluid and go through regens and put soot back into motor? You must not understand what this emissions system is doing to your motor. It will never last like it sits. If you plan to keep this truck for 200k or more you better plan on deleteing... and that goes for any diesel on the market today.
Don't get me wrong, we BOUGHT this truck because we wanted a solid +350k mile vehicle. I'd love to get 500k out of it! Of course I don't like the EGR system, and running all that burnt crap back through the engine.

But... I drive the truck inside buildings to unload/load stuff we sell. It's passable the way it is, pulling all the exhaust stuff off - nope. These are convention / conference centers, some pretty nice places. We drive in, right up to our tables, unload / load, and shut it off asap. If it's pumping soot, I think that would be the end of that, other vendors would be screaming at us if their stuff had a layer of black soot coating it.

·
44 Posts
Read the problems sections of this forum. Answer following q’s.

Q#1: What percentage listed are for emissions?
Q#2: how many tuned and deleted owners are in that section complaining about having to take their trucks in For warranty work?

Get back to me then. Very interested in your findings.
That's ridiculous, and you know it. I've been reading through related posts for 2 years, and the last thing I'm going to do is void the 100k warranty on a truck we've already had back for work 2x in 50k miles. It's difficult to find a good mechanic to begin with, I got the same stories others have on ignorant techs (not stupid, they just don't know).
One dealership, the tech said, "Dead pedal, no, that's normal, we don't do updates because it costs us $ to get them and we'd have to charge you."
Next dealership, the service manager & tech's eyes lit up, like, ..so... that's what it looks like, and couldn't stop asking what the XD was like to drive - she didn't even shut off the engine, and left.
Back to the original, high priced, 1.5hr drive away, dealer who sold it - ran the updates (multiple), and warned us, the dude who did a delete, is on-his-own now, pissed away a 100k warranty at <25k miles.

An observation - Titan XD is very popular with women. My wife, and a couple of others we've met, more women owners than men, so far.

·
1,324 Posts
That's ridiculous, and you know it. I've been reading through related posts for 2 years, and the last thing I'm going to do is void the 100k warranty on a truck we've already had back for work 2x in 50k miles. It's difficult to find a good mechanic to begin with, I got the same stories others have on ignorant techs (not stupid, they just don't know).
One dealership, the tech said, "Dead pedal, no, that's normal, we don't do updates because it costs us $ to get them and we'd have to charge you."
Next dealership, the service manager & tech's eyes lit up, like, ..so... that's what it looks like, and couldn't stop asking what the XD was like to drive - she didn't even shut off the engine, and left.
Back to the original, high priced, 1.5hr drive away, dealer who sold it - ran the updates (multiple), and warned us, the dude who did a delete, is on-his-own now, pissed away a 100k warranty at <25k miles.

An observation - Titan XD is very popular with women. My wife, and a couple of others we've met, more women owners than men, so far.
To each his own - only serious update needed from what ive read was the tranny update. My 2018 came from factory with solid tranny programing. My 50k will be a solid zero emissions issues so that sounds great to me.

Wish nissan had some more female-geared marketing!

·
462 Posts
The delete/tune seems to be mostly a personal issue. We're loaded with diesels up here in AK and I don't know of a single one that is deleted/tuned. And I know many, many with 100/200/300/400,000+ miles on their trucks and have had no problems with the emissions systems. So I tend to ignore the scare/horror stories the delete/tune crowd gives to justify it. Real experiences far outweigh the opinion of self-proclaimed "internet experts" every single time.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
And how many times have they had to replace all the emissions parts? Those parts are only good for MAYBE 100k miles. Those parts are not cheap to replace. There are many many positive reasons to delete this shit. I'm not trying to convince you to do it... I'm just pointing out the positives outweigh the negatives when deleting.

·
1,324 Posts
The delete/tune seems to be mostly a personal issue. We're loaded with diesels up here in AK and I don't know of a single one that is deleted/tuned. And I know many, many with 100/200/300/400,000+ miles on their trucks and have had no problems with the emissions systems. So I tend to ignore the scare/horror stories the delete/tune crowd gives to justify it. Real experiences far outweigh the opinion of self-proclaimed "internet experts" every single time.
200k plus yeah right. Let me guess - 7.3 fords and 5.9 cummins neither of which have egr - just cat conv they replaced with straight pipe and ccv’s theu vented to atmosphere - none of which needs an actual tune to do.

Or ditto what Jayce says regarding regular replacement of emissions components every 100k

·
44 Posts
To each his own - only serious update needed from what ive read was the tranny update. My 2018 came from factory with solid tranny programing. My 50k will be a solid zero emissions issues so that sounds great to me.

Wish nissan had some more female-geared marketing!
Word is getting around, but they could sell a heck-of-a-lot of them if they ran some ads with women sitting in them, etc. Wifey says this is the easiest truck to drive, park, maneuver, etc., I agree. I've been in work trucks and owned trucks 2wd & 4wd, since the 1970's, and the tight turning radius of the Titan XD is incredibly tight - makes backing up a trailer easy.

·
25 Posts
Well to everybody my Nissan Titan right now has 45000 miles on it and it's all been work miles I I transport travel trailers all over the country from 10,000 lb and less I haven't had any issues so far everything's been great with the truck I have and auxiliary tank hooked up to my primary tank which is 50 gallons with an electric pump that dually Depot in Indiana Elkhart installed for me I get 11 to 12 miles Towing 60 70 miles an hour and I get 19 to 25 miles to the gallon empty going back to get more work haven't had any issues with the truck it's just 10000 mile oil changes and make sure everybody that you keep your oil full under the dipstick do not go by what the manufacturer says that you could leave it at half of the dipstick level by the time you get to 10,000 miles you will have no oil in the engine right now today I'm replacing all my tires at 45,000 miles and put a new tires on it so hopefully mine exit I can get 50 to 60 thousand miles out of them the truck's been great make sure you always run it until mood when you're hauling your trailer don't play the game of letting it shift on his own on normal mode you will burn up your transmission and always adjust your brake system in the manual tells you how to it's just control the boost to the trailer that where you have the proper braking setting

·
87 Posts
How the hec is everybody getting such good fuel economy? I never could get above 16 unless I go no faster than 65, and even at 65 im still in the low 16s to high 15s. D3l3te and toon did nothing for fuel economy. Still only get 14.5-14.8 at 75, every once in a while I'll get 15.2 but thats usually when I reset the meter after i. On the highway. Absolutely love my truck but hate that our Ram 5500HD trucks get about the same fuel mileage despite being almost 10k lbs and turning 2600rpm at 75. Our Ram 2500s easily get 19-20mpg. I bought this thing with 9,000 miles back in 2017 so it was basically new when I got it. Ive had it going on 6 years and the fuel economy has only got worse. I am at my wits end because my dads 5.7 tundra gets way better fuel economy than I do. Even towing am empty light duty car trailer (5 lug rims) I only get 9-10 mpg. With a side by side on it i averaged between 8 and 9 mpg going 75. With that light of a load I think I could do better in my dads 5.7 tundra! I do all of my scheduled maintenance religiously amd always use hot shots secret everyday treatment when I fill up. I never let it get below 1/4 tank, amd if I do, I dont turn it off until I've fueled up because these trucks have long cranks followed by a low fuel pressure warning once you hit 1/8 tank because it takes a coule swconds of cranking before it will start.

301 - 319 of 319 Posts