Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, the 317 horsepower and 385 lb-ft of torque 5.6L Endurance V8 in the 2014 Nissan Titan gets it up to a towing capacity of 9,500LBS. With the all-new Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel it's getting, what can we expect towing capacity to be? What will you be towing?

·
55 Posts
they're saying 550+ ft-lbs of twist. Its not so much an issue of what the powertrain is capable of, but more what is the frame capable of?

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
664 Posts
they're saying 550+ ft-lbs of twist. Its not so much an issue of what the powertrain is capable of, but more what is the frame capable of?
You keep going on and on about the frame, yet I doubt you really understand how strong they are.

Ford up until at least 2010 was using the same basic frame layout and design that originated in the 80's with trucks that made less than 400ft.lbs.

I highly doubt the existing frame would have an issue with the cummins, but knowing Nissan they will probably beef it up a bit to give them an extra safety margin.

Max towing capacity will likely mirror the top towing capacity of the F150 if they want a chance to compete.

·
857 Posts
Now that we have seen how they're pushing the Titan upsegment it sure seems like we can expect it's towing cap to be along the lines of the current 2500's we're familiar with.

·
608 Posts
Could be even better than the F150 since it is using the diesel engine and a steel frame instead of the F150 that uses aluminum and petrol.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
664 Posts
Could be even better than the F150 since it is using the diesel engine and a steel frame instead of the F150 that uses aluminum and petrol.
The f150 is using aluminum body panels but the frame is still steel.

·
492 Posts
Boeing 747-400ER has a takeoff rating of 910,000 pounds and it uses aluminum wing spars, ribs, and skins. Engineering & Design makes it happen. ☺
I doubt that it would be cost effective to try to design a frame for a pickup truck.
Steel is a better choice. Stronger steel could reduce the weight more efficiently than using aluminum.

·
608 Posts
How exactly does stronger steel reduce weight? Stronger does not equal lighter as far as I know. Can you explain what you are getting at here?

·
492 Posts
Stronger steel means that it takes less steel for the same strength: Therefore less weight.
Compare 4130 Chromoly steel with 1010 or other mild steel.

Google ASTM A656 for one example of hi strength steel

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put like that, it sure does makes sense.
How they form and shape it could very well impact how it takes an impact and what sort of abuse it can handle.

·
857 Posts
Stronger steel means that it takes less steel for the same strength: Therefore less weight.
Compare 4130 Chromoly steel with 1010 or other mild steel.

Google ASTM A656 for one example of hi strength steel
Thanks, i'll have to look into them.

·
19 Posts
Currently, the 317 horsepower and 385 lb-ft of torque 5.6L Endurance V8 in the 2014 Nissan Titan gets it up to a towing capacity of 9,500LBS. With the all-new Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel it's getting, what can we expect towing capacity to be? What will you be towing?
Since Nissan hasn't released any specs, this is all conjecture. FWIW, here is my guess. The engine is capable of hauling quite a load. That isn't going to be the limiting factor. I think Nissan will be shooting for 15,000 pounds and be marketing the truck as both a consumer and commercial vehicle. The new f-150 has a payload capacity of 3000 pounds or so, which puts it in first place among the competition. Towing capacity is around 12000 pounds with some versions, which also puts it in first place. I fully expect Nissan to match the payload capacity and exceed the towing capability by at least a ton. The fuel economy of the Nissan/Cummins will better anything out there (especially while towing) that has the capability to tow anything or haul anything.

FWIW, the new RAM diesel barely has the load capability to handle 4 big passengers and a big dog. Nissan is just not going to do that. The Dodge is geared towards people who want the most mileage they can get out of pickup and carry or tow a modest load. The Nissan will be be geared to people who want to see awesome fuel economy in a pickup that is designed to handle quite substantial loads. Can't wait to see what happens.

·
608 Posts
To be honest, I think the chances of me going over the haul limit is really minimal so I'm not sure how much it will really matter in the end. more a matter of trying to choose a capable and good quality truck.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since Nissan hasn't released any specs, this is all conjecture. FWIW, here is my guess. The engine is capable of hauling quite a load. That isn't going to be the limiting factor. I think Nissan will be shooting for 15,000 pounds and be marketing the truck as both a consumer and commercial vehicle. The new f-150 has a payload capacity of 3000 pounds or so, which puts it in first place among the competition. Towing capacity is around 12000 pounds with some versions, which also puts it in first place. I fully expect Nissan to match the payload capacity and exceed the towing capability by at least a ton. The fuel economy of the Nissan/Cummins will better anything out there (especially while towing) that has the capability to tow anything or haul anything.

FWIW, the new RAM diesel barely has the load capability to handle 4 big passengers and a big dog. Nissan is just not going to do that. The Dodge is geared towards people who want the most mileage they can get out of pickup and carry or tow a modest load. The Nissan will be be geared to people who want to see awesome fuel economy in a pickup that is designed to handle quite substantial loads. Can't wait to see what happens.
Good point on commercial sales, seeing how they tap into that and how well of a job they do with it is something i want to see, but that area seems like something the american truck makers have better luck with especially since they have long been into that and nissan is JUST stepping into the ring.

·
608 Posts
But I think that businesses who would buy fleets are more likely to look at numbers and capabilities instead of being swayed by brand reputation.

·
608 Posts
For a business, you think? Sure it has some baring, but I think capabilities are more important to businesses, as opposed to how important that would be to a regular customer. Just my opinion though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts