Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No Titan for the Aussies

Nissan has no plans to follow in the wheel-tracks of Fiat Chrysler and import heavy duty US-market pickups to Australia — because it thinks it may have too many cars in its range as it is.

The Nissan Titan, a behemoth that tackles the Ford F-Series in the US, is definitely not on the radar here — at least, not Nissan’s radar. That doesn’t preclude a third-party importer from trying its hand.

In fact, Nissan Australia managing director Richard Emery considers the idea of bringing full-size pick-ups here an “oddity” with diminishing returns.

Last week, Fiat Chrysler’s New Zealand importer announced a deal — backed by head office in the US — to import and convert to right-hand-drive unlimited numbers of RAM 2500 and 3500 pick-ups.

Read more at http://www.caradvice.com.au/349871/nissan-titan-ram-rival-not-on-australian-radar/#qMziS34kFEiqEh4Z.99

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
I bet they're jealous. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nissan use the 2.8L Cummins as a global engine in the frontier though.

·
608 Posts
Diminishing returns doesn't sound good. I mean, if it doesn't make business sense, then it doesn't make business sense. Too bad for Australians, but I'm sure they'll make do.

“I think there might be some early interest, but in terms of being a long-term product offering, I doubt it."

·
340 Posts
but their reason cites 2500 and 3500's. The Titan is not a 2500... Anyone know is Austalia gets 1500 sized pickups?

·
313 Posts
They've got tons of little diesel pickups over there (and in the rest of the world). Often with crazy high 2000-3000# payloads. They're usually just rated to tow 6-8000# though and have pretty low HP. VW, Mazda/Ford, Nissan, Toyota, all sell them, and they're good enough for most people.

Our bigger "half-ton" trucks often have lower payloads but higher tow capacities and GCWRs so we need/want the bigger HP engines.

I wouldn't be surprised if some private importer brought a few Titan XDs into Australia for the Caraveners. They have some awesome off-road Caravans there, and an off-road version of the Titan XD would sell.

·
340 Posts
They've got tons of little diesel pickups over there (and in the rest of the world). Often with crazy high 2000-3000# payloads. They're usually just rated to tow 6-8000# though and have pretty low HP. VW, Mazda/Ford, Nissan, Toyota, all sell them, and they're good enough for most people.

Our bigger "half-ton" trucks often have lower payloads but higher tow capacities and GCWRs so we need/want the bigger HP engines.

I wouldn't be surprised if some private importer brought a few Titan XDs into Australia for the Caraveners. They have some awesome off-road Caravans there, and an off-road version of the Titan XD would sell.
I think they might address those areas with the new world market Navara...

·
313 Posts
I think they might address those areas with the new world market Navara...
Could be.

The 3L V6 turbo diesel in the high end Navara is bigger than most of the other small "world" pickups, with more HP (228HP) and torque too. Similar payload and tow capacity though (2100# and 6600#).

But the Navara is still a relatively small truck. More like the Frontier I think. And most of them come with the smaller 2.5L turbo diesel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts