Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Great Video and thanks for the tip on removing the fuse box.
Wait..what? Is the removing the fuse box comment related to the Cabin Air Filter?
If so I've seen this comment before and you do not have to remove the fuse box to change the Cabin Air Filter and the process to replace without removing is not hard nor does it take any longer....in fact it would take less time because really the Cabin Air Filter slides right in....so the taking off the fuse box would take more time.
I change my cabin air filter with every oil change now in my XD and have never had to do more than remove the glovebox and the filter housing cover.
10 minute job....
Tony does some great stuff on tractors but sometimes he's applying tractor principals to trucks where it doesn't belong....like his fuel filter change video...please don't follow those instructions as well.
Sorry Tony (if you are listening?)....I like your stuff brother but you got the fuel filter and most likely the cabin filter on the XD wrong.

·
113 Posts
I've swapped mine out a couple times and took the fuse panel out as I found it was less fiddling and literally added 30 seconds to the job. To each their own

·
629 Posts
I change mine every 15k and no fuse box removal. I do have a heavy black thread rescue line tied to the tension cord for the glove box and one on the third glove box pin toward the door.

·
330 Posts
Wait..what? Is the removing the fuse box comment related to the Cabin Air Filter?
If so I've seen this comment before and you do not have to remove the fuse box to change the Cabin Air Filter and the process to replace without removing is not hard nor does it take any longer....in fact it would take less time because really the Cabin Air Filter slides right in....so the taking off the fuse box would take more time.
I change my cabin air filter with every oil change now in my XD and have never had to do more than remove the glovebox and the filter housing cover.
10 minute job....
Tony does some great stuff on tractors but sometimes he's applying tractor principals to trucks where it doesn't belong....like his fuel filter change video...please don't follow those instructions as well.
Sorry Tony (if you are listening?/forum/images/CumminsTitan/smilies/tango_face_wink.png....I like your stuff brother but you got the fuel filter and most likely the cabin filter on the XD wrong.
You sure are an arrogant sob

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
10 minute job....
Sorry Tony (if you are listening?/forum/images/CumminsTitan/smilies/tango_face_wink.png....I like your stuff brother but you got the fuel filter and most likely the cabin filter on the XD wrong.
You sure are an arrogant sob
You mistake arrogance for "matter of fact" and straightforward.
When I comment in what appears "arrogant" there is a ton of background noise most folks have not tried to or made an effort to "listen to"
Tony is a great guy and does some great videos on tractors and general maintenance.
However, his videos on fuel filter replacement and the replacement of the HVAC filter are not indicative of efficient or correct maintenance practices.
I'm just pointing out what a layman or non-mechanical person might need to know.......it's hard to break old habits....when your job for a long period of time was to advise military commanders and fire department chiefs down to the operator level of "what not to do" and not to "assume" when performing maintenance practices it becomes second nature to second guess folks who make videos without ever reading the service instructions or having had actually performed the task before advising others.
So yeah....call me an SOB if you like but in other circles, where proper maintenance practices are critical, that "SOB" mentality is valued?

·
283 Posts
I just did a video on the Nissan Titan and Titan XD forgotten filters. I replace the Cabin Air Filter and the engine air filter. I hope you enjoy the video. Tony
:welcome:
Video no longer available, but there are others on yt. It was NOT necessary for me to remove the dampening tether and the plastic clips you might see in some of these videos. I just removed the top 3 and bottom 2 torx screws and pulled the whole glove box assembly straight out (Don't pull down!). Clips and tether remain in tact. The only 2 clips I saw appear to be hinge clips which disengages the glove box itself from the entire assembly. There is a 3rd similar looking (hinge clip?) possibly on the same plane as the other 2 closer to the door (right) side of the box. As mentioned above, this level of disassembly was not necessary.

The only issue I found is that in most vids, the air flow arrow on the filter is pointing DOWN as you view it in the installed position with the filter cover removed. Mine was installed showing the arrow pointing UP. My filter was a complimentary dealer installed replacement during an early dealer maintenance. The Service manual doesn't show any orientation of the filter at all, but has a drawing showing air coming in from the top as fresh or recirculated with purified air being dispensed to the left.

If the orientation of this diagram corresponds to the installed view of the filter, the air flow arrow on the filter should point DOWN. I'd post the picture here, but there might be a problem plagiarizing Nissan's material. Maybe Realbored can chime in here on the proper orientation.

Also, it is nearly impossible not to deform this (Nissan) filter's fragile paper frame slightly during removal/installation without removing the fuse holder, yet the manual makes no mention of doing that and cautions against deforming the filter!! The filter is flexible enough that you might be able to maneuver it into position without deformation that affects functionality, otherwise, consider removing the fuse holder. My new filter arrives tomorrow. If it is of sturdier stuff where removal of the fuse holder makes for easier installation, will edit accordingly.

This is regularly an $80-$100 dealer install for an $8-$15 or so part, so when you're done, have a few beers with some good friends. 🍺🍺

Reactions: wakinvol

·
283 Posts
Addition to my previous post above. The new filter was indeed of much sturdier construction. After removing the 5 main screws, removing the fuse box saved a lot of grief trying to jam the new past the fusebox wiring and damaging the filter. Only 2 screws and a few seconds more. Have also added a few more photos to assist in reassembly and show the type of filter I used.
xd gb cabinfilter fuseb800.jpg

Reassembly: this goes away when the glove box assy's right edge seats behind the weather strip while pushing the assembly back in.....and

...these 3 clips should seat easily when the screw holes are aligned and the glove box assembly is pushed inwards (one on left hidden slightly in photo).

The filter I used claims it traps exhaust fumes. Don't count on that completely. I still got fumes sitting under a carport testing it after the swap. Very sturdy construction, though.

I like to take my time when pulling apart things like this for the first time. I usually break stuff if I don't Probably only a 10 minute job normally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts