Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2017 Nissan Titan SV and wanted to add the Nissan trailer brake (part #478A0-EZ40B ). I was told the harness would be behind the pocket location and it would be a plug-and-play situation, but after opening up the dash I don't see a harness that would plug into the back of the trailer brake part. I've pulled the pocket out, the A/C out and the stereo... no large harness.
Does anybody know if there is a Nissan adapter harness required that would allow the factory Nissan trailer brake to plug into my vehicle? I found the small brake harness that is located up by the e-brake and there is another small harness located behind the trailer brake location (red, blue, black wiring) but nothing as large as the one needed to plug directly into the trailer brake. Thinking there must be an adapter harness required to get it to work??
Really like the clean look of the OEM part rather than after market install.

·
156 Posts
Just as an FYI... The factory TBCU is not compatible with EOH trailer brakes, only electric brakes.
For the cost of the factory unit you could get an aftermarket version, twice. I have the factory version, but if I were to add a TBCU to my truck it would likely be the REDARC Pro - https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Redarc/331-EBRH-ACCV2.html Very clean install as the actual controller is mounted out of sight, and the 3/4" knob is dash mounted at the location of your choosing.

·
36 Posts
I have to agree with jbouy. Etrailer is the place to get the aftermarket brake controller. Should be a super easy install. All harness' should be there in specific locations. (rear frame rail, under dash below the steering wheel to plug in the actual controller, and probably right front kick panel needs to be removed to access the relays. This is the way it is in the frontier, so I'd assume it's the same or very similar). Kits come with everything you need, and it's all plug and play

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I was finally able to get a little info from local Nissan parts guy, he says it looks like the harness needed would have to be installed at the factory. He believes it’s part of the main wire harness throughout the dashboard. And he does not know of a Nissan adapter harness that would allow for the addition of the Nissan TBCU, but the diagram he’s looking at does not clarify that. So unless you had the option added before purchasing you’re SOL it seems.

·
330 Posts
I remember having this same issue when installing a brake controller in my 2006 Titan. I found this page on etrailer that has a picture of where the harness would be on a 2016 XD. If someone without a built-in TBC could verify I would appreciate it. If it's bogus advice I'll delete this post to prevent confusion.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-236407.html

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here’s the back of the Nissan TBCU. A large 8-pin connector is required. Nothing of that type found in my dash. That’s why I was wondering if there might be an adapter harness available someone might know of. One that uses the smaller harness mentioned above (over by the emergency brake) and possibly along with another harness to adapt into the 8-pin Nissan TBCU.

Attachments

·
145 Posts
Just as an FYI... The factory TBCU is not compatible with EOH trailer brakes, only electric brakes.
I don't know that this is always true. I've read of some XD users that were able to use the EOH system with their factory TBCU with no mods. Also, there are usually adapter modules to simulate the resistance that can be added to other EOH systems if it doesn't work right away. This is not unique to the Nissan TBCU. I've heard similar with Ford and GM units.

·
156 Posts
I don't know that this is always true. I've read of some XD users that were able to use the EOH system with their factory TBCU with no mods. Also, there are usually adapter modules to simulate the resistance that can be added to other EOH systems if it doesn't work right away. This is not unique to the Nissan TBCU. I've heard similar with Ford and GM units.
I am aware that this is not unique to Nissan, but thanks for bringing it up. And I guess I can only speak to one particular brand of EOH systems - Hydrastar. I cannot speak for the Brake-Rite or Dexter actuators. I am also aware there are modules to replicate the systems check feed-back of electric brakes to allow the EOH system to work.

I just wanted to bring awareness to the issue, especially since it clearly states in the manual that it is compatible with EOH without any caveats

·
1 Posts
Hi, wondering if you were ever able to get the factory brake controller to plug into the factory harness - and if so, where you found the plug on the factory harness. I have the same trim level truck and would like to install the factory controller. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
13 Posts
The harness is there, I just installed one on my 2018 SV. I had the pocket instead of the factory controller, I found a good deal for the factory controller on eBay for $165. I was installing the Phoenix Radio so I did the controller at the same time. The harness for the factory controller is tucked up to the right going toward the glove box. Hope this helps

·
1 Posts
I have install the oem brake control. Just use the original harness that came in your glove box. I got my control from the salvage yard. They gave me the original plug but cut the wires short. The colors are the same. You just need to add a ground and a acc wire. And you set
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
2 Posts
Does the OEM TBCU display anything when no trailer is connected? I have a 2017 Titan with towing package and it came with the TBCU. I’m going to tow tomorrow and I noticed it doesn’t appear to be powered up.

Does it power up once a 7 Blade trailer plug is connected?

·
2 Posts
Does the OEM TBCU display anything when no trailer is connected? I have a 2017 Titan with towing package and it came with the TBCU. I’m going to tow tomorrow and I noticed it doesn’t appear to be powered up.

Does it power up once a 7 Blade trailer plug is connected?
I figured this out. It should show two Blue dots when no trailer connected and you should be able to interact with the settings.

Dealership didn’t seat the plug well after they did some work. This isn’t the first thing that wasn’t plugged back in. :rolleyes:

·
2 Posts
I have install the oem brake control. Just use the original harness that came in your glove box. I got my control from the salvage yard. They gave me the original plug but cut the wires short. The colors are the same. You just need to add a ground and a acc wire. And you set View attachment 45214 View attachment 45215 View attachment 45216
Hello. In the same situation.. 2017 though,

Where did you get the plug to stick in the back of tbcu? I have the harness that connects to the truck. Just looking for the plug.
Thanks.
Kerby.

·
3 Posts
The harness is there, I just installed one on my 2018 SV. I had the pocket instead of the factory controller, I found a good deal for the factory controller on eBay for $165. I was installing the Phoenix Radio so I did the controller at the same time. The harness for the factory controller is tucked up to the right going toward the glove box. Hope this helps
I am looking to install the OEM Controller on my 2019 Titan. How far did you have to break down the dash to get to the harness? Also, did you have to modify the hole where the unit plugs into or just plug and play essentially?

·
2 Posts
I am looking to install the OEM Controller on my 2019 Titan. How far did you have to break down the dash to get to the harness? Also, did you have to modify the hole where the unit plugs into or just plug and play essentially?
Actually not bad.....
*2 screws under the steering dash piece. It then pulls away (but stays connected to the steering wheel.. the drop plastic piece).
*Then a couple of screws on the glove box area.
*a couple screws on the middle piece... unless you have the accessible.... then more.
  • pull of the trim pieces on the vents.
  • the connector is accessible then.
I have the service manual for that removal if you need it.

·
3 Posts
Actually not bad.....
*2 screws under the steering dash piece. It then pulls away (but stays connected to the steering wheel.. the drop plastic piece).
*a couple screws on the middle piece... unless you have the accessible.... then more.
Yes please I’d really appreciate that.

·
3 Posts
That was easy as hell! The harness was right next to the dash on the lower right side. It was tied to the same harness that powers the passenger air bag light. Took maybe 30 minutes.
So when powered and connected to a trailer what color or what should the controller display?

·
13 Posts
Actually not bad.....
Would you mind sending that my way brother? About to send the controller back but if i can find that harness...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts