Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
3 Posts
I heard today that Nissan is discontinuing the Titan XD with the Cummins engine in 2020. This news has raised concerns with me as to how long will parts be made for the 5.0 cummins? How difficult will it be to find a mechanic that can work on that engine in 5 10 15 years?

What are your thoughts about this decision and other concerns about an engine that has only been produced for 4 years?
It's my understanding (limited) that Cummins developed the motor with plans to implement it in delivery vehicles as well. I doubt they will abandon all the r and d just because Nissan is short sighted

·
228 Posts
It seems there is some confusion about the state of the ISV at Cummins.

It is dead. They (Cummins) took a $33M charge last year for discontinuing the ISV.. To summarize, we are hosed. And no, I don't think a "class action" will help... each complainant will get some insulting amount, and the representing attorneys will retire with a nice beach house. Now, if Nissan/Cummins came up with a retrofit with a better powerplant, matching the Aisin... yeah, I know... pop that bubble, whydontcha?!

In the meantime, we all have to baby these 5.0s, hoping they don't do a hand-grenade impersonatiin! Seriously disappointed with Cummins... and Nissan.

·
285 Posts
Crud, was that in their financial statements? Dang...now we are left wondering if it was slow sales at Bluebird and Tiffin (the bus and mortorhome customers) or if the ISV/Nissan 5.0 version does have a fatal crankshaft flaw that is not worth redesigning since sales are slow. There do seem to be a lot of cranks breaking....

·
285 Posts
Well, just for grins, I pulled up their 4th quarter earnings call transcript from Feb 4, 2020 and there it is as Russr mentions: (crap...)

Tom Linebarger, CEO speaking here:

The market size for medium-duty trucks was 138,000 units in 2019, representing another strong year of demand. We maintained our clear leadership in the market with full year market share of 80%. 2019 marked another strong year for pickup truck sales in North America. We shipped 148,000 engines to our pickup truck customers in 2019, including the highest number of engines for Ram pickups in over 10 years. During the third quarter, we decided to end production of our ISV 5-liter engine, which was primarily sold to Nissan for use in pickup truck applications. Engine sales to construction customers in North America decreased by 5%. While nonresidential construction spending remained high, we saw industry participants take steps to reduce their equipment inventory in the second half of the year. Engine shipments to high horsepower markets in North America decreased by 38% from last year, with lower demand from oil and gas customers, partially offset by increased shipments to mining customers. Power Generation revenues increased by 4% year-over-year driven by demand for military applications and data center customers.

Mark Smith -- Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

Yes. I mean, basically, we're expecting almost all of those savings in 2020. In the disclosures, you can see the split of the cost reductions by segment. So we've broken that out for you. So you should assume that the savings are mostly proportional to the expenses incurred, with the one caveat that you will see a chunk of those expenses are in the corporate eliminations column, and those will be just -- ultimately, when we report the segment results, the benefits of those savings will be shared across the segments. But you can basically do the math from there, David. The additional actions, of course, the exit of the V8 engine business is going to be all in the Engine business. And then the benefits of exiting the medium-duty transmission business are going to be in the Components segment. But I think the Engine business, Components and Distribution will have the biggest benefits from those actions.

·
188 Posts
Crud, was that in their financial statements? Dang...now we are left wondering if it was slow sales at Bluebird and Tiffin (the bus and mortorhome customers) or if the ISV/Nissan 5.0 version does have a fatal crankshaft flaw that is not worth redesigning since sales are slow. There do seem to be a lot of cranks breaking....
i believe there is a fatal flaw in this design. It’s not all doom and gloom but the % is high. That seems to be the only real issue with a few harness issues otherwise it’s been solid. I only wish there was some protection for us the customer. there is no relation to being deleted or stock which tells me design flaw.

·
285 Posts
i believe there is a fatal flaw in this design. It’s not all doom and gloom but the % is high. That seems to be the only real issue with a few harness issues otherwise it’s been solid. I only wish there was some protection for us the customer. there is no relation to being deleted or stock which tells me design flaw.
Unfortunately, I agree. The folks that have broken recently with less than 80,000 miles are really scary. The one owner on here who has broken two uses his truck for his business hauling trailer if I remember right. First one broke at over 120,000 miles. But seems like there are many with much lower miles. I guess we'll never know what the percentage is, but might be useful if everyone who experiences it open an NHTSA complaint on the safety aspect of loss of control. I'm still curious over the (apparent) heat on the bottom end. Is it a forging/ machining flaw in the crank itself or are they all spinning bearings and breaking the crank from the subsequent torsional forces when the rod starts knocking?

Re-posting the pictures of a crank I saw for sale online out of Canada. Holy heck, the blue/violent hues in these pictures are mind blowing. Looks like someone took a torch to it and really lit it up. Anyone else ever seen this on the bottom end of a motor--diesel or otherwise? Any metallurgical engineers on the forum? Are they nitriding these crankshaft forgings? That might cause some of the bluing if so. Otherwise, is it really heat? Bottom 2 pictures of the first cranks that broke on one member a year or more ago--notice the blue counterweights. Opinions anyone?...

No way Nissan or Cummins will care to do a failure analysis now...we are on our own.

Bluecrank3.JPG
Bluecrank 1.JPG
Bluecrank5.JPG
20180112_112356.jpg

20180112_112331.jpg

·
74 Posts
Interesting and thanks for sharing. Unfortunately my ‘18 doesn’t fall in any category this guy has referenced. 36,000 & 1 year since purchased new when my crankshaft broke. I still believe the issues are there. Almost feels like a luck of the draw?

·
669 Posts
I honestly think it correlates directly time how the truck is ‘treated’- driving style, idle times, highway/city use, towing/lack of towing and of course maintenance.
There’s a big difference between running something hard versus abusing it- running these trucks hard I think is key to reliability.
But that’s just my two cents.

·
1,475 Posts
I honestly think it correlates directly time how the truck is ‘treated’- driving style, idle times, highway/city use, towing/lack of towing and of course maintenance.
There’s a big difference between running something hard versus abusing it- running these trucks hard I think is key to reliability.
But that’s just my two cents.
I've heard that from several mechanics. They said if you dont drive these new diesels aggressively you will have issues. I'm pretty aggressive with my driving and mine is holding strong so far.

·
895 Posts
The title states Nissan dropping the Cummins 5.0 motor, not about broken crank shafts or wire harness chaffing and shorting.

Any ideas how to bulletproof this motor cause Cummins doesn't appear to have any, or they don't see the fix for new block design as profitable. Whatever it is Cummings doesn't want to talk about it. Cryogenic treatment to auto parts are said to increase strength and durability. I would bet doing that to the crankshaft and bearings would be an improvement. But if the block oil ports are partial reason for crankshaft issue, as I see it to be, cryogenic treatment would just be a bandaid and not a fix.

Bottom line...Bye Bye 5.0 Cummings diesel.

·
25 Posts
So what’s the recipe for longevity?

Remove/disable EGR and tune accordingly
Auxiliary engine oil cooler
Magnetic drainplugs/oil pan magnets
Lower temp range thermostat
Auxiliary coolant filter
Upgraded intercooler
Upgraded radiator
More frequent oil changes
Switch to 15w-40 oil ????

·
228 Posts
So what’s the recipe for longevity?

Remove/disable EGR and tune accordingly
Auxiliary engine oil cooler
Magnetic drainplugs/oil pan magnets
Lower temp range thermostat
Auxiliary coolant filter
Upgraded intercooler
Upgraded radiator
More frequent oil changes
Switch to 15w-40 oil ????
Well, I've been hesitant to do anything that affects warranty... not sure my extended warranty is worth the paper it's written on, considering Cummin's discontinuation of the ISV, but here are some of my concerns - y'all feel free to -comment, etc.

"Auxiliary engine oil cooler" - seems like a good idea, but there was a discussion about bypass filters on this forum, and someone got a statement out of cummins that it would (a) increase volume, and (b) decrease effective pressure. I was about to pull the trigger on a bypass until I read that!
"Lower temp range thermostat" - well some might say "don't mess with what the engine designers/engineers defined as operating conditions for this motor". Then again, we're discussing methods to avoid the engine from hand-grenading on us now that it's been discontinued... presumably because it was NOT a great design to start with!
"More frequent oil changes" and "Swith to 15W-40 oil". This is something I can do and get my head around. Living in Texas I was a bit concerned with the 15W... thoughts?

I'm not too familiar with auto-industry history... is there anything we could do as consumers to get Cummins to provide input / support? It seems to me that Nissan should have done some kind of outreach program, informing us 5.0 owners about what they intend doing in this regard, but they seem to be (in a) steaming pile anyway.

Thanks for all the input, folks.

russ

·
74 Posts
I’m just thinking it’s a flaw of some type. Maybe bad crankshafts (design? Material? Other?), oiling/Lubrication (as in poor design in oil application via how lubrications is applied to the crankshaft), firing order, ect.......

I don’t think oil weight or type or oil change frequency will fix this issue. There’s a reason Cummins has stopped manufacturing this engine. They’re not in the business to lose money and it’s apparent Cummins & Nissan are taking a beat down on this issue.

At some point one has to ask how much they trust this engine beyond the warranty and are they willing to assume that risk financially when the repairs will be on them? It’s very disappointing. I’d really like to get some hard numbers on crankshaft failures.

·
622 Posts
I was thinking that the next oil change, I’ll drop the oil pan and inspect the crank shaft and its bearings. Just out of curiosity...

·
3 Posts
My crank broke at 26K miles. I stalled while driving, and the engine acted like it had ran out of fuel. Analog fuel gauge showed half-a-talk, but electronic gauge showed 0 miles left to empty. Upon restarting after priming the system several times, the engine misfired like crazy then boom, the crank broke! Nissan replaced the engine, and I've had 20K trouble-free miles. Although I have no hard evidence, I attribute this to the fuel filters being installed wrong by the dealer, which had been done the day prior. I love driving this trunk and we use it to pull a horse trailer, but the whole set up is a hot mess. Poorly trained technicians, crappy fuel delivery system and a crate motor. Our trucks are great once you get to know everything about them, but the learning curve is high and you have to expect a "kit" truck from day 1. I was surprised to know the dealer who installed the filters was on the wait list for diesel technician training and did not have a Cummins certified technician. I just hope my new Nissan diesel mechanic hangs around.

·
1,475 Posts
Well, I've been hesitant to do anything that affects warranty... not sure my extended warranty is worth the paper it's written on, considering Cummin's discontinuation of the ISV, but here are some of my concerns - y'all feel free to -comment, etc.

"Auxiliary engine oil cooler" - seems like a good idea, but there was a discussion about bypass filters on this forum, and someone got a statement out of cummins that it would (a) increase volume, and (b) decrease effective pressure. I was about to pull the trigger on a bypass until I read that!
"Lower temp range thermostat" - well some might say "don't mess with what the engine designers/engineers defined as operating conditions for this motor". Then again, we're discussing methods to avoid the engine from hand-grenading on us now that it's been discontinued... presumably because it was NOT a great design to start with!
"More frequent oil changes" and "Swith to 15W-40 oil". This is something I can do and get my head around. Living in Texas I was a bit concerned with the 15W... thoughts?

I'm not too familiar with auto-industry history... is there anything we could do as consumers to get Cummins to provide input / support? It seems to me that Nissan should have done some kind of outreach program, informing us 5.0 owners about what they intend doing in this regard, but they seem to be (in a) steaming pile anyway.

Thanks for all the input, folks.

russ
All the new trucks run these higher temps. It's got to do with all the emissions shit. If it didnt get this warm it would make you regen way more often.

·
15 Posts
I think a problem here is everyone assume the engine was discontinued because it was bad. The engine was discontinued because it didn't sell. What exactly is the value in an engine that doesn't sell in volume? If this had gone into a RAM, it would still be around. People seem to forget NISSAN is plowing face first into the ground, not Cummins. Jettisoning an engine you sell MAYBE 2k a month is just good business. It has nothing to do with reliability and everything to do with dollars and cents.

Too much panic over nothing. Plus, federal laws mean they have to support the engine for 10 years past discontinuation. 2029 before parts go bye bye forever. Frankly that sucks, but 10 years with the truck is enough time to get my moneys worth.

·
25 Posts
With real-time oil pressure readings available, this one doesn't scare me and seems like a no-brainer.

Lower temp range thermostat" - well some might say "don't mess with what the engine designers/engineers defined as operating conditions for this motor". Then again, we're discussing methods to avoid the engine from hand-grenading on us now that it's been discontinued... presumably because it was NOT a great design to start with!
Do you think lower engine coolant temps could translate into enough of a drop in EGT temps to trigger extra re-gens?

More frequent oil changes" and "Switch to 15W-40 oil". This is something I can do and get my head around. Living in Texas I was a bit concerned with the 15W... thoughts?
* I'D LIKE TO HEAR SOME MORE OPINIONS ABOUT OIL VISCOSITY *

I think if the EGR is not in play, you get cleaner, cooler, more effective oil to clean, cool, and lubricate the crankshaft, which seems to be suspiciously delicate.

·
5 Posts
The maximum tongue weight you can accommodate while towing is calculated by taking the payload number on the FMVSS sticker and subtracting the weight of anything you put in the truck (including yourself, passengers, and your cargo).

For example, the payload on my FMVSS sticker is right about 1700lbs. That means with me (180lbs), the additional fuel in my larger tank (24 gal = ~168lbs), and 100lbs of miscellaneous cargo, I can hook up a trailer that puts up to 1252 lbs on the tongue. Of course, you must also ensure that both axles are within their individual ratings, and also the tires.

I've looked at 5th wheels as well but have not seen any that don't exceed the payload capability of my XD - even the smallest Cougar "Half-Ton" fifth wheels exceed what I have left to put on the truck. I know 4wd takes a few hundred pounds off the payload but I've often wondered why the payload on mine is so low. Probably the packages...
Very good advice and information but I disagree slightly. The JC28 standards when determining payload include a full tank of gas and a 150lb driver. There was also a post that claimed a 150lb driver and 150lb passenger. I can't solidly back up the passenger but can provide links for the driver and fuel already included.

I also agree that not going over the axle rating is important and that's what I watch most when I scale my truck. The part about there not being a 5th wheel that won't put you over payload is probably correct. There is a narrow Micro Minnie by Winnebago I just looked at that might work. The Minnie would be a decent couples camper but not big enough for a family IMHO.

I'm careful to stay under my axle ratings and I'm comforted in knowing this is probably the most underrated truck ever.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts