Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
97 Posts
I heard today that Nissan is discontinuing the Titan XD with the Cummins engine in 2020. This news has raised concerns with me as to how long will parts be made for the 5.0 cummins? How difficult will it be to find a mechanic that can work on that engine in 5 10 15 years?

What are your thoughts about this decision and other concerns about an engine that has only been produced for 4 years?
All trucks and engines eventually get discontinued. Once your warranty is up it’s your problem anyways. As far as the engine and transmission are concerned parts will definitely be available into the foreseeable future, Same rules apply to any make or model, get on eBay if you don’t believe me and look up our engine I bet you find plenty.

·
1 Posts
I don’t own a diesel Titan but a gasser. Some of this sounds to me like the beginnings of the 6.0 power stroke I own. I sure hope not for all y’all’s sake. Probably not to the extent of how bad the Ford 6.0 was but only time will tell

·
Banned
79 Posts
All trucks and engines eventually get discontinued. Once your warranty is up it’s your problem anyways. As far as the engine and transmission are concerned parts will definitely be available into the foreseeable future, Same rules apply to any make or model, get on eBay if you don’t believe me and look up our engine I bet you find plenty.
You're confusing superseded with discontinued. When a the 6.7 Cummins in the RAM debuted, the 5.9 was superseded. Same with the various versions of the Duramax and Powerstroke. They were upgrades, not op-outs. All previous engines were still fully supported.

Nissan is dropping the diesel and Cummins entirely. There is no updated diesel engine for the XD. As another member mentioned, all technician training for the ISV is discontinued at this point. All owners are now at the mercy of finding a "trained" technician at a dealer that is capable of servicing this engine. When the engine came out the trained technicians were few and far between, and now that it's discontinued we can only expect to see that competency diminish entirely.

·
567 Posts
I don’t own a diesel Titan but a gasser. Some of this sounds to me like the beginnings of the 6.0 power stroke I own. I sure hope not for all y’all’s sake. Probably not to the extent of how bad the Ford 6.0 was but only time will tell
The aftermarket really saved the 6.0L - with a few modifications, it is a beast. The 6.4L was Fords trash engine as the early dpf system was a nightmare.

·
567 Posts
You're confusing superseded with discontinued. When a the 6.7 Cummins in the RAM debuted, the 5.9 was superseded. Same with the various versions of the Duramax and Powerstroke. They were upgrades, not op-outs. All previous engines were still fully supported.
I would say the 6.0L was superceeded by the 6.4L as Ford wanted bigger power numbers. Since the 6.4L only lasted for 3 years before Ford came out with their own 6.7L, as they had enough, that engine I would say was discontinued.

·
Banned
79 Posts
The aftermarket really saved the 6.0L - with a few modifications, it is a beast. The 6.4L was Fords trash engine as the early dpf system was a nightmare.
You know your diesels.

The 6.0 may have a bad rap in stock form, but they can be relatively easily upgraded and bulletproofed. Especially the '05+ with the Shepard pump, STC eliminator fitting, dummy plug upgraded o-rings, EGR cooler delete/upgrade, etc. For those looking for more power, ARP head studs have proven to be effective.

The 6.4 was Navistar's answer to the Ford 6.0 issues. It proved to be a worthless boat anchor, with fuel in oil dilution issues, failed HPFP/injector failires, water pump cavitation issues, constant regen (as you mentioned), etc.

But remember, according to many here who can't deal with the facts, we're only here to "troll" Nissan.

·
567 Posts
You know your diesels.

The 6.0 may have a bad rap in stock form, but they can be relatively easily upgraded and bulletproofed. Especially the '05+ with the Shepard pump, STC eliminator fitting, dummy plug upgraded o-rings, EGR cooler delete/upgrade, etc. For those looking for more power, ARP head studs have proven to be effective.

The 6.4 was Navistar's answer to the Ford 6.0 issues. It proved to be a worthless boat anchor, with fuel in oil dilution issues, failed HPFP/injector failires, water pump cavitation issues, constant regen (as you mentioned), etc.

But remember, according to many here who can't deal with the facts, we're only here to "troll" Nissan.
Nah, but my brother has has a lot of experience on this.

Good timing on this article:

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
237 Posts
What years did it overlap with 6.0? Or did it?

·
Banned
79 Posts
What years did it overlap with 6.0? Or did it?
The 6.0 was in F-Series from 2003 to 2007. However, it was used in E-Series until 2010. So, some cross-product overlap.

The 6.4 debuted in F-Series in 2008 and was discontinued in 2010. It was never used in E-Series.

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
237 Posts
The 6.0 was in F-Series from 2003 to 2007. However, it was used in E-Series until 2010. So, some cross-product overlap.
There’s no way an ‘08 F250 has a 6.0? At work we have one and the mechanic constantly talks about the ease of repairing its 6.0...but it’s an ‘08. Course I tease him that it may be easy to fix cause he’s ALWAYS got something wrong with it. But I thought it was the Navistar, he swears it’s a 6.0. Understand, this dude is cool but he’s no genius.

·
1,475 Posts
Nah theres no 2008 f250 6.0. There is however a 2003.5 6.0 lol. Why they brought the 6.0 mid year blows my mind lol

·
Banned
79 Posts
Nah theres no 2008 f250 6.0. There is however a 2003.5 6.0 lol. Why they brought the 6.0 mid year blows my mind lol
The 6.0 launched in 2003, buy they still had 7.3 inventory to deplete. So customers were given a choice of either engine. The "0.5" only means that both engines were available that year.

·
Banned
79 Posts
There’s no way an ‘08 F250 has a 6.0? At work we have one and the mechanic constantly talks about the ease of repairing its 6.0...but it’s an ‘08. Course I tease him that it may be easy to fix cause he’s ALWAYS got something wrong with it. But I thought it was the Navistar, he swears it’s a 6.0. Understand, this dude is cool but he’s no genius.
Nope. As @Jayce mentioned, there was no 6.0 in the 2008 F-Series. It was still available in the E-Series, however.

No wonder the engine always has something wrong with it if the dude doesn't even know what engine he's working on....

·
214 Posts
I had an 03 7.3. Traded in Oct of 10 for the new 6.7. Ford bought the 6.7 back in march of 11, wish I would have kept my 7.3.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I had an 03 7.3. Traded in Oct of 10 for the new 6.7. Ford bought the 6.7 back in march of 11, wish I would have kept my 7.3.
Why?

Ford never had a 6.7 to "bring back" as you mention; it was a completely new engine from the ground up. It was a clean sheet design in 2011, and it's been redesigned in 2015 and now 2020.

You seem confused.

·
214 Posts
Ford completed a buyback from me in March on that truck since it was in the shop most of the eight months that I owned it. And then they gave me an X plan to buy a new one and I ended up buying an eco-boost instead.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts