Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towed a 24' V-nose cargo trailer 400 miles empty with a dry weight of 3400 lbs. Stayed at 63-65mph, flat roads in Florida. Every overpass I came to it's like it couldn't decide what gear to go in. It would jump to 3500 rpm (expected on an incline) then stay at 3500 rpm for about two minutes. I'd have to drop down to 50 or so to get it to shift. Was in tow mode, tried it with cruise and without- same results.
Next issue, at 6.5-7 mpg it gave me a range of 180 miles on a full tank. I took it in the dealer two weeks ago as the tach keeps fluttering while driving and going 35-40 mph it stays at 2000-2200 rpm not towing anything. Sometimes it will shift up. When cold it takes for ever to shift and goes to 2500-2700 before shifting even when easy driving. The dealership said there's no fix for it and that's normal. 2018 5.6.

I'm totally regretting this purchase. As soon as my house sells I'm trading it in for a true 3/4 ton. I'll get better mileage, more range, full floating rear diff, 8 lug axles, far far more payload.

Going 70 on the highway I get 14-14.5 mpg. There's absolutely no benefit to owning this truck.

·
465 Posts
All I got out of this was you’re expecting a gasser to be a beast at towing and get better gas mileage.

Hate to break it to you, but if it’s a 3/4 ton or not, gassers don’t tow (as) well nor do they get good MPGs.

Sounds like you just didn’t do your homework before buying. If the truck didn’t fit your needs, why did you buy it? I’m not a Nissan Fanboi, but it sounds like you’re to blame, not the truck.

I love the last part though, ‘there’s absolutely no benefit to owning this truck’ LOL. I love the melodrama.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I understand the difference between diesel and gas. Tell me the benefit of owning this truck. It's not much cheaper than a real 3/4. My F150 gas engine performed better than this engine/transmission. With the F150 it would rev up on overpasses and drop back to 2500 no issues. Towed the same trailer with my neighbors Ram 2500 on Sunday (gas) and it's much more consistent (6 speed transmission not the 8). Towed the trailer loaded with my dad's F350 dually diesel Saturday and got 10 mpg. Not a huge advantage but the difference is the range. Obviously any diesel will tow better, but I really don't see any reason to buy this truck in a gas or diesel platform. The gas just doesn't perform well in my opinion and the diesel is discontinued after 3 years.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should probably take advantage of the lower interest rates and get a new Ford ASAP. Get rid of the Nissan while you can. I’m sure you’ll be much happier.
Thanks, I'm really thinking going the Ram 2500 with the 8 speed route. Besides the shifting issues with the transmission it is definitely more stable on the road then my light F150. It does drive very nice so I guess that's an advantage to it but it's just not performing how I thought it would. Other issue is I'm moving where a lot of hills are and dealing with the transmission all the time will probably get old.

·
465 Posts
I mean what’s the benefit of trucks coming with different color paint? They should all just be gray. What’s the benefit?

·
1,203 Posts
I just want you to get rid of it so you’ll quit complaining. I’ve had my XD for over 4 years and I have no complaints. It does exactly what I wanted and expected it to do. Just face the fact that you don’t like your truck and move on.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean what’s the benefit of trucks coming with different color paint? They should all just be gray. What’s the benefit?
Right, that makes no sense whatsoever but ok. I'm just posting this because if anyone is thinking of getting one and doing research about the truck like I did, I wouldn't recommend it. I was under the impression it's beefier frame, more cooling capability, heavier suspension etc was a good truck for my purposes. In the end it is not and for maybe 1-2k more you can get a true 3/4 ton truck with much more capabilities.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just want you to get rid of it so you’ll quit complaining. I’ve had my XD for over 4 years and I have no complaints. It does exactly what I wanted and expected it to do. Just face the fact that you don’t like your truck and move on.
[/QUOTE
Sorry, just stating facts of the truck. If it helps someone thinking about buying one good. If it hurts your feelings don't read my post.

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
34 Posts
I love mine, but I did a ton of research going in. It does everything I want, I expected bad mileage (although it’s not bad compared to other heavy heavy trucks), and I specifically didn’t want a 3/4. If I had wanted a 3/4, I wouldn’t have bought a truck that isn’t a 3/4. Just like I didn’t want another 1/2 ton so I didn’t get another 1/2 ton.

But I paid significantly less than I would have for a big 3 3/4. Price comparison on the gasser is drastically less in my area.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Buh bye.
I owned a 2005 GMC 2500HD with a 8.1L BB for 13 years before buying my XD gasser.
Love this truck a LOT MORE!
I didn't buy it for fuel economy. It gets about the same mileage that truck got while towing. Much better empty.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
M
Dude it doesn’t hurt my feelings one bit. I’m just sick and tired of people whining like little school girls. Man up.
How is stating facts of how my truck tows and the issue I'm having with it whining like a little school girl. If anyone is whining it's you. I stated facts and you insult me. I'm so sorry I upset you little princess.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Lol 😄
Thanks to both of you... we all needed a laugh.

·
13 Posts
Towed a 24' V-nose cargo trailer 400 miles empty with a dry weight of 3400 lbs. Stayed at 63-65mph, flat roads in Florida. Every overpass I came to it's like it couldn't decide what gear to go in. It would jump to 3500 rpm (expected on an incline) then stay at 3500 rpm for about two minutes. I'd have to drop down to 50 or so to get it to shift. Was in tow mode, tried it with cruise and without- same results.
Next issue, at 6.5-7 mpg it gave me a range of 180 miles on a full tank. I took it in the dealer two weeks ago as the tach keeps fluttering while driving and going 35-40 mph it stays at 2000-2200 rpm not towing anything. Sometimes it will shift up. When cold it takes for ever to shift and goes to 2500-2700 before shifting even when easy driving. The dealership said there's no fix for it and that's normal. 2018 5.6.

I'm totally regretting this purchase. As soon as my house sells I'm trading it in for a true 3/4 ton. I'll get better mileage, more range, full floating rear diff, 8 lug axles, far far more payload.

Going 70 on the highway I get 14-14.5 mpg. There's absolutely no benefit to owning this truck.
what he say????

·
36 Posts
I live in Fl and when walking into a dealership ready to buy, with in 50 miles of my house I couldn't get anywhere close to a good deal for the Ram 2500 or the Chevy 2500. Bought my 2019 Xd diesel for $4500 less than a comparable equipped Chevy 2500 gas. And $6000 less than the Ram. I could get a work truck from either no problem for about the same but who wants that. Give your truck some more time and just lock the truck in 5th or 6th when towing.

·
67 Posts
It’s simple. If you’re not happy with the truck and by reading this thread you are not, trade jt for another truck before the value drops any further.

Good luck with your next truck.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts