Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
554 Posts
I dont get the issue, the guy posted his experience and his opinion... when people "do their research," they may come across this thread and maybe not make the same mistake as he did. I will say you wont get much better mpg with a 2500 gasser, you probably should've gone for the XD diesel. I understand its discontinued, but that's life.

·
3 Posts
Towed a 24' V-nose cargo trailer 400 miles empty with a dry weight of 3400 lbs. Stayed at 63-65mph, flat roads in Florida. Every overpass I came to it's like it couldn't decide what gear to go in. It would jump to 3500 rpm (expected on an incline) then stay at 3500 rpm for about two minutes. I'd have to drop down to 50 or so to get it to shift. Was in tow mode, tried it with cruise and without- same results.
Next issue, at 6.5-7 mpg it gave me a range of 180 miles on a full tank. I took it in the dealer two weeks ago as the tach keeps fluttering while driving and going 35-40 mph it stays at 2000-2200 rpm not towing anything. Sometimes it will shift up. When cold it takes for ever to shift and goes to 2500-2700 before shifting even when easy driving. The dealership said there's no fix for it and that's normal. 2018 5.6.

I'm totally regretting this purchase. As soon as my house sells I'm trading it in for a true 3/4 ton. I'll get better mileage, more range, full floating rear diff, 8 lug axles, far far more payload.

Going 70 on the highway I get 14-14.5 mpg. There's absolutely no benefit to owning this truck.

·
2 Posts
Towed a 24' V-nose cargo trailer 400 miles empty with a dry weight of 3400 lbs. Stayed at 63-65mph, flat roads in Florida. Every overpass I came to it's like it couldn't decide what gear to go in. It would jump to 3500 rpm (expected on an incline) then stay at 3500 rpm for about two minutes. I'd have to drop down to 50 or so to get it to shift. Was in tow mode, tried it with cruise and without- same results.
Next issue, at 6.5-7 mpg it gave me a range of 180 miles on a full tank. I took it in the dealer two weeks ago as the tach keeps fluttering while driving and going 35-40 mph it stays at 2000-2200 rpm not towing anything. Sometimes it will shift up. When cold it takes for ever to shift and goes to 2500-2700 before shifting even when easy driving. The dealership said there's no fix for it and that's normal. 2018 5.6.

I'm totally regretting this purchase. As soon as my house sells I'm trading it in for a true 3/4 ton. I'll get better mileage, more range, full floating rear diff, 8 lug axles, far far more payload.

Going 70 on the highway I get 14-14.5 mpg. There's absolutely no benefit to owning this truck.
Basically you wanted a cheaper work truck that performs like the high end. Mines a 2016 RWD and I love it. I’m just using it for recreation though. You want to work, get a 2500 or 250. XD is Mid level big toe in the water.

·
3 Posts
I have a 2017 XD diesel and towed my 35’ and 8,700 lb V-Nose travel trailer from Wisconsin to Arizona and didn’t hardly feel it behind the truck. Average mpg was 11.9 for the round trip. Maybe need to look at diesel.

·
11 Posts
Right, that makes no sense whatsoever but ok. I'm just posting this because if anyone is thinking of getting one and doing research about the truck like I did, I wouldn't recommend it. I was under the impression it's beefier frame, more cooling capability, heavier suspension etc was a good truck for my purposes. In the end it is not and for maybe 1-2k more you can get a true 3/4 ton truck with much more capabilities.
1-2 k more you get a true 3/4 ton?
I have the xd diesel and when they announce they weren't making it I went and priced ford 3/4 ton. To get it equipped as close to my titan was just over 12000 more.
62000 instead of 50000
Also my 50000 was out the door tax included. The 62000 was before tax and had intrest.

·
43 Posts

I think something may be wrong with your truck. I towed my 300ZX on a car hauler which the total weight was maybe 5200 lbs. From San Antonio to Branson, MO and back. Both directions I averaged 11-12 mpg at 65 mph. 2017 5.6 CC 4x4. This is with 35" mud terrains and 20" aftermarket wheels. These wheel/tire combo weighs almost 110lbs. Now my truck isn't the XD, but I see no reason your performance would be so much worse with such a light load.
Oh and it towed effortlessly and only downshifted on big incline grades when I had the cruise on.

·
70 Posts
All Ram 2500's built 100 percent in Saltillo, Mexico. Titan XD 100 percent built in Canton Mississippi. Sadly (!) even the gasser motor is built in Tennessee (connected to the Cummins plant?) I have owned pretty much one of every pickup model built since 1986 with all sorts of different engine/tranny combos and while NONE were perfect I enjoy my Titan XD the most of all of them. And no, it's not perfect but it was at least $15k less than a comparable GM, $10k less than the Ram and I could get the gasser F250 for pretty close what I paid for mine, but FROD is absolutely the LAST brand I've ever consider owning again.

Sell your Nissan so someone else can enjoy it and hit the road, Jack.

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
39 Posts
My XD gets better mileage towing a heavy load than the Chevy 2500 gasser. Avg mpg on that thing with the same trailer is 4-6. It tows it fine, but it averages 10 mpg driving empty daily, so add any weight and it kills the mpg. And it would have cost me 10-12k more. Just did a trip to FL with Chevy before hysteria shut down Disney. Best mpg was 6 on a downhill. Every climb I think it was below 1 lol.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I think something may be wrong with your truck. I towed my 300ZX on a car hauler which the total weight was maybe 5200 lbs. From San Antonio to Branson, MO and back. Both directions I averaged 11-12 mpg at 65 mph. 2017 5.6 CC 4x4. This is with 35" mud terrains and 20" aftermarket wheels. These wheel/tire combo weighs almost 110lbs. Now my truck isn't the XD, but I see no reason your performance would be so much worse with such a light load.
Oh and it towed effortlessly and only downshifted on big incline grades when I had the cruise on.
Is your trailer enclosed or open? Yeah I think the extra weight of the XD frame really kills the mileage. Interesting you get that good of mileage though with those tires and a higher gear ratio than the XD.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
1-2 k more you get a true 3/4 ton?
I have the xd diesel and when they announce they weren't making it I went and priced ford 3/4 ton. To get it equipped as close to my titan was just over 12000 more.
62000 instead of 50000
Also my 50000 was out the door tax included. The 62000 was before tax and had intrest.
I don't think comparing the diesel is really accurate at this point, it's discontinued at this point effecting the value of the Titan I would assume. As far as comparing the Ram 2500 vs the Titan XD gas engines the prices seem to be very close. Anyways, I'm going to get the Ram 2500 and I'll post a new thread just stating the facts and price paid so anyone looking to buy one or the other can understand the difference.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have a 2017 XD diesel and towed my 35’ and 8,700 lb V-Nose travel trailer from Wisconsin to Arizona and didn’t hardly feel it behind the truck. Average mpg was 11.9 for the round trip. Maybe need to look at diesel.
That's really impressive- I towed it with my dad's F350 diesel and it returned 10.5 mpg.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I dont get the issue, the guy posted his experience and his opinion... when people "do their research," they may come across this thread and maybe not make the same mistake as he did. I will say you wont get much better mpg with a 2500 gasser, you probably should've gone for the XD diesel. I understand its discontinued, but that's life.
Thanks, yeah guess I upset some folks. I'll post the difference between the two when I tow with the Ram. I'm almost considering test driving the 9 speed 2020 just to see the difference between the '18 Titan XD and '20 XD transmission. I tried hitching up to my loaded VNose last night, wish I took some pictures but the truck was squatting far too much to go down the road. Timbrens would probably fix this but I'm guessing my tongue weight is in the ballpark of 1200 lbs which is the max for the Titan XD I believe.

·
67 Posts
I don’t blame you. Years ago when we started towing 12,000 lbs tag I moved up to a 2500 Duramax and it was absolutely the right move from many standpoints. Safety being one of them.

Would love to hear your experience in the Ram if you go that route. They’re making a good looking truck these days imo

·
486 Posts
Thanks, yeah guess I upset some folks. I'll post the difference between the two when I tow with the Ram. I'm almost considering test driving the 9 speed 2020 just to see the difference between the '18 Titan XD and '20 XD transmission. I tried hitching up to my loaded VNose last night, wish I took some pictures but the truck was squatting far too much to go down the road. Timbrens would probably fix this but I'm guessing my tongue weight is in the ballpark of 1200 lbs which is the max for the Titan XD I believe.
I don’t think you upset anyone- you’re initial post was riddled with emotion-driven statements that made it both annoying and whiney.

It seems you turned the corner though- your posts are back to the facts.

If your truck is really behaving the way it is in your first post (MPGs and shifting) then I think something might be wrong. Maybe a ECM/TCM update?

As far as needing a new truck, I love new truck shopping- so keep us posted on what you end up with if you go that route.

·
23 Posts

The advantage of owning this truck is stability of a 3/4 ton without the punishing ride. Of course the 5.6 would never be my choice on the XD. Cummins all the way. Night and day difference in towing. As far as the fluttering, sounds like either the torque converter is locking and unlocking, or it's not up shifting but it's trying to. You shouldn't be at 2000rpm at 35-40. It should upshift. I have an XD Cummins and my brother has a pro4x 5.6 and his has none of those issues. Transmission needs to be flashed. And the whole "that's normal" crap is because the dealership was either too lazy to diagnose it or couldn't figure it out. I'd take it to a different dealer. My brothers has been flawless and so has my Cummins aside from a leaking egr cooler that was fixed under warranty.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The advantage of owning this truck is stability of a 3/4 ton without the punishing ride. Of course the 5.6 would never be my choice on the XD. Cummins all the way. Night and day difference in towing. As far as the fluttering, sounds like either the torque converter is locking and unlocking, or it's not up shifting but it's trying to. You shouldn't be at 2000rpm at 35-40. It should upshift. I have an XD Cummins and my brother has a pro4x 5.6 and his has none of those issues. Transmission needs to be flashed. And the whole "that's normal" crap is because the dealership was either too lazy to diagnose it or couldn't figure it out. I'd take it to a different dealer. My brothers has been flawless and so has my Cummins aside from a leaking egr cooler that was fixed under warranty.
Thank you for the information. I tried two dealers, same response. I showed them video of the tach/speedometer acting up. One service advisor said his personal XD does it to and it's normal. I think the real issue is I'm dealing with techs that 99% of their work is with CVTs.

·
486 Posts
I suggested it above, but you didn’t say anything.

Have you done any of the TSBs for RPM fluttering, shift flare or hesitation?

Also, when I had my 5.6 XD, it suddenly started shifting weird and had a loss of power- the fan clutch died and caused all those symptoms.

You can search those TSBs online and walk into your dealer with them in hand. Just verify your VIN is in the range on the TSB.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts