Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
583 Posts
Sounds like the Titan XD is not for you. You should get a truck that you enjoy driving and that does what you expect it to do. I don't think there's anything anyone here can do to make your Nissan satisfy your requirements.

·
45 Posts
I have a 2017 XD diesel and towed my 35’ and 8,700 lb V-Nose travel trailer from Wisconsin to Arizona and didn’t hardly feel it behind the truck. Average mpg was 11.9 for the round trip. Maybe need to look at diesel.
I towed my 9K 5th wheel from Wisconsin to Florida and back this winter. It pulled great and like you barely could tell I was pulling anything. Did great thru TN and KY. Averaged about the same MPG on my 2018 diesel. Went down a bit in Illinois with some strong head winds.

·
7 Posts
You don't say how long you've owned your truck. I think there is a transmission Map update for the 2018. Did you have this done? Your gas mileage numbers are all screwed up. if you check out The Fast Lane Truck on YouTube they have a good comparison of the gas versus diesel while Towing. You should be getting much better mileage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You don't say how long you've owned your truck. I think there is a transmission Map update for the 2018. Did you have this done? Your gas mileage numbers are all screwed up. if you check out The Fast Lane Truck on YouTube they have a good comparison of the gas versus diesel while Towing. You should be getting much better mileage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I've tried 3 dealers, all say the same thing- 1. It's normal and 2. There are no service updates and we're not reprogramming it. I traded the truck for a '19 Ram 2500. I'm gonna post a new comparison of the two this weekend. First I want to tow my 9500 lb VNose cargo trailer with the Ram to compare towing.

·
486 Posts
I've tried 3 dealers, all say the same thing- 1. It's normal and 2. There are no service updates and we're not reprogramming it. I traded the truck for a '19 Ram 2500. I'm gonna post a new comparison of the two this weekend. First I want to tow my 9500 lb VNose cargo trailer with the Ram to compare towing.
Gas or Diesel?

·
1,148 Posts
I mean of course the ram is gonna tow better, what's it got, 100 more lb ft of torque and 50 more hp? I'd like to compare that gasser ram to my xd diesel

·
43 Posts
I mean of course the ram is gonna tow better, what's it got, 100 more lb ft of torque and 50 more hp? I'd like to compare that gasser ram to my xd diesel
LOL No...the 6.4 only has 10 more HP and 30 more TQ than the 5.6. Someone else on either this forum or TitanTalk just made this exact swap and said the gas 2500 Dodge 6.4 was a turd. I'll try to find the post.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
My problem was with the transmission and MPG, maybe the 9 speed Nissan behaves better? I was averaging 14 mpg going 70, 14.5 mpg going 65. I got the Titan being with the thought I didn't need the whole capacity of a 3/4 ton and thinking the Titan would get better mileage. I was wrong. I'll probably be averaging 17-18 with the Ram and my payload went up 1000 lbs with the Ram for a total payload of 3200 lbs. I'd be interested in seeing the difference between a non deleted 5.0 Cummins vs the 6.4 8 speed towing.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
LOL No...the 6.4 only has 10 more HP and 30 more TQ than the 5.6. Someone else on either this forum or TitanTalk just made this exact swap and said the gas 2500 Dodge 6.4 was a turd. I'll try to find the post.
Yes I've heard many complaints of the 6 speed 6.4. I can tell you in the 3 days I've had the Ram, the Ram is night and day difference with the 8 speed. My Titan felt like a dog, didn't bother me but was no rocket. However a fair comparison would really be the 9 speed transmission the new XD has vs the 8 speed Ram.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Sorry forgot to mention, I think the biggest problem with my Titan was the rear axle 3.31 ratio. I think that actually hurt the highway MPG being effected more with wind resistance. The Ram is a 3.73 so that's my other thought. I was under the impression that the Titan XD gas had the same rear as the diesel, I think that one is a 3.92? Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I may have missed it somewhere but how much weight are you typically towing?
Majority 3500 lb boat. No problem. 9-10 enclosed cargo trailer, couldn't bc truck squatted too much. However the empty 3300 lb cargo trailer is what made me get rid of the Titan XD. Also a camper loaded at 7k (29 ft).

·
43 Posts
I'd be interested to see the tongue and know the tongue weight on that. This is my 2017 NON XD with my 300ZX and the uhaul car hauler. Total weight was maybe 5200 lbs. My truck had no issues at all cruising across country. That's with my heavy 20" wheels and 35" tires. Sometimes I think the non XD Titan would be better for light loads like 7500 lbs and less since it's a lighter truck overrall.

Attachments

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I'd be interested to see the tongue and know the tongue weight on that. This is my 2017 NON XD with my 300ZX and the uhaul car hauler. Total weight was maybe 5200 lbs. My truck had no issues at all cruising across country. That's with my heavy 20" wheels and 35" tires. Sometimes I think the non XD Titan would be better for light loads like 7500 lbs and less since it's a lighter truck overrall.
Yes I agree the regular Titan would be better. My trailer is a 24' enclosed cargo so that makes the wind drag a huge difference, tongue weight is around 1000-1200 loaded.

·
43 Posts
Yes I agree the regular Titan would be better. My trailer is a 24' enclosed cargo so that makes the wind drag a huge difference, tongue weight is around 1000-1200 loaded.
Well it's a shame the truck didnt perform how you wanted. Not everyone will have the same experience. I wish you good luck on the RAM sir.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well it's a shame the truck didnt perform how you wanted. Not everyone will have the same experience. I wish you good luck on the RAM sir.
Thank you- been super busy (work at hospital and unfortunately working directly with Covid 19 patients), this weekend I plan on giving a quick write up giving my experience with the two for some insight if someone is considering one or the other.

·
43 Posts
Thank you- been super busy (work at hospital and unfortunately working directly with Covid 19 patients), this weekend I plan on giving a quick write up giving my experience with the two for some insight if someone is considering one or the other.
Please do. I think a detailed comparison from first hand experience would helpful for many.

Also thank you for your service. I run an IT service desk that supports many Hospitals around the world and my thoughts and prayers go out to all the healthcare providers that putting their own health at risk everyday during this pandemic.

·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Please do. I think a detailed comparison from first hand experience would helpful for many.

Also thank you for your service. I run an IT service desk that supports many Hospitals around the world and my thoughts and prayers go out to all the healthcare providers that putting their own health at risk everyday during this pandemic.
Thank you, thing is no joke. We're having patients on a simple O2 mask to intubated-vented within a few hours. Take it seriously for anyone doubting it.

·
98 Posts
Agree, it's no joke. My wife is a RN and I've heard all about what she has seen so far. I work in IT for an "essential" industry and face considerable exposure to the great unwashed general public myself. Scary times indeed... Be safe and enjoy your new truck.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts