Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2016 Titan XD with Cummins
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2016 Titan XD giving me some trouble. I'm looking for some help with NOx sensors and information on typical ppm readings. My yellow MIL came on and my BlueDriver Pro Scan Tool said my NOx Sensor 2 was faulty. The BlueDriver Pro Scan Tool can broadcast live data to my iPhone and sure enough, my NOx Sensor 2 was reading off scale (2500 ppm) and at times would go to zero. I replaced NOx Sensor 2 with a Redline unit. It looks identical to the OEM btw. Sensor 2 now appears to be working properly with readings ranging from about 180 ppm at idle to 300 ppm when accelerating. It usually reads in the low 200 ppm range. The problem now is, NOx Sensor 1 is always reading less, usually below 100 ppm. A hard acceleration pops the ppm up to around 300 but it drops back to less than 100 ppm within a few seconds. The reading moves around but typically is between 65 and 100. The MIL light is still on. My scan tool now shows Trouble Code P20EE and P1C54. Both are related to the SCR not working. I do not believe this is the case. I think the NOx Sensor 1 measurement is low. Today I replaced NOx Sensor 1 with another Redline unit. Sadly, the NOx sensor measurement is no different than before. It is still showing between 65 and 100 ppm most of the time while NOx Sensor 2 is reading between 200 and 300 ppm.

Can anyone tell me what the NOx Sensor 1 and 2readings are in their truck (in ppm)? I think most scan tools today can provide this information. I'm wondering if by chance my NOx Sensor 2 is incorrect, but I doubt it. It seems to provide a more stable reading and I think most diesel truck engines produce about 200 to 400 ppm of NOx.

I called the Cummins help line for information but the person I spoke to would not answer my question. He said something like "the engines are Nissan engines and I wouldn't know". Frustrating to say the least...

·
1,098 Posts
Assuming the non OEM sensors are not the issue it could be an issue with DEF quality, the DEF system not operating properly, excessive deposits in the decomposition tube, exhaust leaks, abad SCR catalyst or a wiring issue.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks realbored. If I had an idea of what the "normal ppm" at the Sensor 1 position, it would eliminate quite a few of the items in your list above. I am currently leaning towards a wiring issue to Sensor 1. Voltage dropping. I just cannot see how NOx can increase by a factor of 2 to 3 across the after-treatment system on a continuous basis. I purchased this truck new and I have taken very good care of it. It has only 109,000 kms. I have had it serviced at the Nissan dealer exactly as recommended. I drive the truck to and from work 26 km each way and when I have time for fun, tow a 7,000 lb boat or a 5,500 lb travel trailer with it. 99.9% of the time on smooth pavement. I live on Vancouver Island with a very moderate climate. I've used only one brand of DEF the entire time I've owned it and buy fuel pretty much from one supplier on the Island that supplies about 50% of all diesel vehicles. I can also say the underside of the truck is in remarkably good condition for 6 years of use. Most everything is still clean and shiny and the 8 mm bolts holding the sensor wire clamps came off nicely and the sensors removed from the exhaust system piping without too much effort at all.

I should also add that this problem I'm having doesn't seem to have affected the truck operation one bit. I've had this issue for about 2 months now. MPG is normal, DEF consumption seems normal, plenty of power. Just the MIL on the dash, the same trouble codes when I check, and the "reversed" NOx ppm results while driving and idling. To add some colour, I've attached a picture of my phone while idling in my driveway.

I am thinking of installing the OEM Sensor 1 I just removed into the Sensor 2 position for a test drive. If it reads the same as the new Sensor 2, this would give me a high degree of confidence that the new NOx sensors are fine. As I've mentioned, they look EXACTLY identical to the OEM units.

Can anyone tell me how to test the voltage supply to Sensor 1? Is this something a dealer shop can do with the Nissan Consult-III Plus diagnostic system?

Font Multimedia Software Electronic device Screenshot

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My experiment to put the Sensor 1 into the Sensor 2 position was a bust. The connector plugs don't match. Different slot pattern on the guides. Oh well....

Back to my original ask - Does anyone know the ppm reading from NOx Sensor 1 in a properly operating Titan XD with 5 litre Cummins?

Also, can anyone tell me how to check for voltage dropping for NOx Sensor 1?

·
1 Posts
My experiment to put the Sensor 1 into the Sensor 2 position was a bust. The connector plugs don't match. Different slot pattern on the guides. Oh well....

Back to my original ask - Does anyone know the ppm reading from NOx Sensor 1 in a properly operating Titan XD with 5 litre Cummins?

Also, can anyone tell me how to check for voltage dropping for NOx Sensor 1?
hey I working on a 2016 titan, could u help me which is bank one (left side) sensor location

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I can tell and see and have therefore deduced, there is only one bank on the Titan XD with Cummins 5 litre diesel. Sensor 1 is the inlet to the exhaust after-treatment system (out of the engine) and Sensor 2 is the outlet of the after-treatment system (final exhaust).

·
3 Posts
As far as I can tell and see and have therefore deduced, there is only one bank on the Titan XD with Cummins 5 litre diesel. Sensor 1 is the inlet to the exhaust after-treatment system (out of the engine) and Sensor 2 is the outlet of the after-treatment system (final exhaust).
I have a question on this note. Code-U059F Invalid data received from sensor "B" What does this mean and can you drive the vehicle?

·
1,098 Posts
I have a question on this note. Code-U059F Invalid data received from sensor "B" What does this mean and can you drive the vehicle?
It means that the information it is sending to the ECM about the outlet NOX readings do not make sense to the ECM. If that is the only code you are getting you likely need a new sensor. The truck will eventually go into failsafe and you won't be able to drive it.

·
3 Posts
It means that the information it is sending to the ECM about the outlet NOX readings do not make sense to the ECM. If that is the only code you are getting you likely need a new sensor. The truck will eventually go into failsafe and you won't be able to drive it.
This is the only code, about how many miles till it goes to limp mode?
And are the aftermarket sensors any good?
With the code saying NOX sensor "B" I am guessing it would be the rear one?

·
1,098 Posts
This is the only code, about how many miles till it goes to limp mode?
And are the aftermarket sensors any good?
With the code saying NOX sensor "B" I am guessing it would be the rear one?
There is no way to tell when but because it is emission related it could be fairly quickly. Yes it is the outlet sensor at the rear. We only install OE sensors. Keep in mind that it is a sensor and a diagnostic module as well so it's not just a basic sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts