Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I did a search but did not get much back. I was wondering if anyone has had an oil analysis come back with high fuel dilution. Mine was 5% per volume. I will upload the PDF later on for all the oil stats. Truck has 75000kms and is a 2016. I did the test through Horizons (Cummins). It is telling me to check for a leaking injector etc. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Thank you!

·
Banned
79 Posts
Not likely a leaking injector if you don't have any performance issues.

Sounds more like a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration issue. Do you do mostly city or mostly highway miles? Nissan's emissions calibration leaves a lot to be desired; it over fuels (as they all diesels do in DPF regen) but never completes after multiple drive cycles. This causes regen to reoccur on multiple trips, and all of the excess fuel washes down the cylinders and contaminates the oil with fuel. Once the oil becomes contaminated with fuel, severe engine wear begins to occur, to the point of damaged engine bearings, failed turbochargers, etc.

·
615 Posts
Yes, my most recent oil analysis came back at 3%. It was less than 0.5% on the prior sample, but I also forgot to get the engine to operating temperature before taking the sample. I changed the oil when I took the sample and will do a half-way sampling at 5000 miles on the oil, taken properly, to check for fuel.

Did you take your sample hot or cold?

Reactions: M1lkman

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not likely a leaking injector if you don't have any performance issues.

Sounds more like a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration issue. Do you do mostly city or mostly highway miles? Nissan's emissions calibration leaves a lot to be desired; it over fuels (as they all diesels do in DPF regen) but never completes after multiple drive cycles. This causes regen to reoccur on multiple trips, and all of the excess fuel washes down the cylinders and contaminates the oil with fuel. Once the oil becomes contaminated with fuel, severe engine wear begins to occur, to the point of damaged engine bearings, failed turbochargers, etc.
I would say mostly highway. I live in the country so even if I do city miles its a 20 minute trip at 80-100 km/hr trip in. Also, I rarely let it idle as I know this is bad for the new diesels..I did two 500+km trips last week for example which was all highway. Thank for the reply!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, my most recent oil analysis came back at 3%. It was less than 0.5% on the prior sample, but I also forgot to get the engine to operating temperature before taking the sample. I changed the oil when I took the sample and will do a half-way sampling at 5000 miles on the oil, taken properly, to check for fuel.

Did you take your sample hot or cold?
I would say it was warm. I drove it to the dealer and sat 15 or so minutes before being brought into the bay for the oil change and the bottle was filled up then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts