Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my 2016 TITAN XD SV 2x4 off at the dealership over the weekend to get it in before the 5 year 60k miles warrant is up. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue. There is oil mist spraying all over the coolant reservoir, and basically the passenger side of the engine bay. I couldn't find a single place it appeared to be coming from. Any ideas or experience with this?

·
569 Posts
First, it may not necessarily be engine oil, it could be trans fluid, power steering fluid, etc.

Check hoses and fittings to the pumps, reservoirs, and the lines running to the coolers up front.

Also, leaked diesel could look like that, oily texture and attracts dirt and grim quickly. Check along fuel rail and fittings.

Are the oil filler cap, dip stick, break fluid & power steering fluid reservoir caps seated properly and trans dip stick as well?

Leaked recirculated exhaust from egr system might contain enough debris & oily residue to appear thus. Run all those connections as well.

I once had a big block 440 V8 that would occasionally give me the same problem. That took me having to run the motor hard with the hood off to find the culprit. Turned out to be the pcv valve and fitting, when the motor was revved high enough the crankcase pressure was just enough to push a little oily air past the valve and then the wind did the rest.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, it may not necessarily be engine oil, it could be trans fluid, power steering fluid, etc.

Check hoses and fittings to the pumps, reservoirs, and the lines running to the coolers up front.

Also, leaked diesel could look like that, oily texture and attracts dirt and grim quickly. Check along fuel rail and fittings.

Are the oil filler cap, dip stick, break fluid & power steering fluid reservoir caps seated properly and trans dip stick as well?

Leaked recirculated exhaust from egr system might contain enough debris & oily residue to appear thus. Run all those connections as well.

I once had a big block 440 V8 that would occasionally give me the same problem. That took me having to run the motor hard with the hood off to find the culprit. Turned out to be the pcv valve and fitting, when the motor was revved high enough the crankcase pressure was just enough to push a little oily air past the valve and then the wind did the rest.

Thank you. Appreciate that. It is a great deal thicker now, but I still cannot locate the point it’s coming from. I do believe it’s oil. I would post a picture if I still had it at my house.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil cap missing? Dipstick loose? Crankcase breather hoses might be loose.
Nissan dealership could not identify what’s going on either. They are going to run some dye through the fuel and oil to see if they can tell where it’s escaping.

·
569 Posts
Nissan dealership could not identify what’s going on either. They are going to run some dye through the fuel and oil to see if they can tell where it’s escaping.
These types of things are a 'b*tch' to track down if it isn't obvious to start with. Small leak + requiring engine to be running at full operation + everything needs to be at operating temperature + needing air flow / wind through the engine bay to recreate problem. And if it requires line valves or pumps to be active / open or certain demand conditions to be met......grrrrrr.

So long as you aren't footing the bill let them hunt through as much as they want, just make sure they aren't assuming a cause w/o evidence and replacing or repairing something that isn't actually broke.

·
569 Posts
"Replacing/Repairing good parts"

Everyone has a story, right?

Once caught the repair shop wanting to pull motor & transmission apart to replace gaskets and seals on my mom's truck for what I tracked down as being an poorly mated line fitting that under highway pressures would allow fluid to be forced out and would foul the underside of the truck from the engine bay back.

$25 dollar fix (plus work time)

Sure, it was under warranty & she wouldn't have been out any money but still....

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Replacing/Repairing good parts"

Everyone has a story, right?

Once caught the repair shop wanting to pull motor & transmission apart to replace gaskets and seals on my mom's truck for what I tracked down as being an poorly mated line fitting that under highway pressures would allow fluid to be forced out and would foul the underside of the truck from the engine bay back.

$25 dollar fix (plus work time)

Sure, it was under warranty & she wouldn't have been out any money but still....

Thank you for that information. Hopefully I’ll hear something back today or tomorrow. I’ll try to keep the post updated with what they think it is.

·
725 Posts
Had a cumming 24 valve with a hairline crack in an injector line. would only leak when the motor was at full operating temp and running fought with dodge for three months. I hope you have better luck with Nissan.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a cumming 24 valve with a hairline crack in an injector line. would only leak when the motor was at full operating temp and running fought with dodge for three months. I hope you have better luck with Nissan.
You literally just described my problem, even though I’m not sure if my situation is from the same problem. When towing it sprays. When driving unloaded, have noticed it doesn’t accumulate as much.

·
2 Posts
My coolant reservoir looks like yours
Yellow and sometimes grimy.

theres also a slight coolant seepage, which Nissan calls “not enough to replace yet”

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My coolant reservoir looks like yours
Yellow and sometimes grimy.

theres also a slight coolant seepage, which Nissan calls “not enough to replace yet”
My coolant does not go down at all. I have done some very heavy hauling too.

·
725 Posts
If your loosing any coolant in a closed system you have a leak. On our trucks the culprit is usually a pinhole in the egr cooler that will eventually and leave you high and dry by the side of the road. Push for a pressure test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts