Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 XD Cummins Diesel:
I am looking at the oil that is required and I see it has to be CES 20081. I see that the synthetic is 20086. Am I ok to use the CES20086 or am I to use the CES20081? According to what I have read it should be an upgrade for the oil if it is rated at CES20086.:surprise:

·
1,300 Posts
Just buy your self some Shell Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic, and never worrie about oil type or kind again lol

Reactions: Tfswildfire and xxx

·
426 Posts
You are correct about the CES 20086. There's nothing wrong with running a conventional or synthetic blend in 10w-30 as long as it meets the CES requirements. It costs less than the 5w-40 too.

·
204 Posts
Just buy your self some Shell Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic, and never worrie about oil type or kind again lol
I hear from alot of truck drivers that swear by Rotella. I do like to change my oil alot but never really was big on brand as in how much could one oil be different from another. This being my first diesel does it really make any difference on what brand and its weight? I'm getting close to 2500 miles on my new Titan and was wanting to change the oil and this possibly the last truck i ever own.

·
1,300 Posts
Well if its the last truck you plan on buying i would highly recommend the Rotella oils.

I use the 5w40 synthetic and have never had any issues at all ever. I ran it in my 11 Ram 3500, still run it in my 13 Ram 5500 and run it in my XD. I had a 06 Ram 2500 that I used Esso XD3 5w40 and it wasn't really that good, it didnt pour good at cold temps it was kinda crappy. When I started that truck it would burn blue, and it went threw oil all the time at service time I would be probably down about 1-2L of oil.

Reactions: Razer

·
1,265 Posts
Well if its the last truck you plan on buying i would highly recommend the Rotella oils.

I use the 5w40 synthetic and have never had any issues at all ever. I ran it in my 11 Ram 3500, still run it in my 13 Ram 5500 and run it in my XD. I had a 06 Ram 2500 that I used Esso XD3 5w40 and it wasn't really that good, it didnt pour good at cold temps it was kinda crappy. When I started that truck it would burn blue, and it went threw oil all the time at service time I would be probably down about 1-2L of oil.
I use the Rotella T6 in my Goldwing, my Valkyrie, my Vulcan900, my Highlander, my lawn tractor and my Titan. There is nothing better...in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I am not a big oil brand person either. My first 3 oil changes have been done at the dealership. 1st was Rotella. Last 2 were Mobil Delvac synthetic, Mechanic said Cummin's and Nissan both recommend this oil.

·
16 Posts
what color is oil at change

2016 XD Cummins Diesel:
I am looking at the oil that is required and I see it has to be CES 20081. I see that the synthetic is 20086. Am I ok to use the CES20086 or am I to use the CES20081? According to what I have read it should be an upgrade for the oil if it is rated at CES20086.:surprise:
sorry to hijack post but couldn't figure out how to start a new thread. first time Diesel owner. The owners manual says to change oil at 10,000 miles. checked oil level and oil on dipstick is black not able to see through with mileage only 2,500 miles? What color should oil be also if half a quart low do you keep oil level full?
thanks,
Lance

·
1,979 Posts
sorry to hijack post but couldn't figure out how to start a new thread. first time Diesel owner. The owners manual says to change oil at 10,000 miles. checked oil level and oil on dipstick is black not able to see through with mileage only 2,500 miles? What color should oil be also if half a quart low do you keep oil level full?
thanks,
Lance
Oil in a Diesel motor will turn black almost instantly after its started, it's completely normal & is doing it's job of keeping the bad stuff floating. The oil reading doesn't have to be on the full mark ( a pinch below it is ok ) but above it isn't. If you want to add a little to get it back up to the full line go ahead but it's not necessary. You can follow the service schedule & the computer reminder or you can change it sooner, it's a personal preference thing. No right or wrong answer as long as it gets changed at some point.

·
13 Posts
I am using Shell Rotella T6 5w40 and so far no problems, I have 81,166. I brought my truck used. A little side note, I had to take my truck in for repairs, one for the leverage link and rod, for the transmission, second was actuator assy-sw. I just want to say when they changed that linkage the truck shift like new,it never shifted like that before. The actuator had something to do with the fuel so I am happy it runs and shifts great now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts