Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Right now looking at a new truck it is between Titan and RAM. I am leaning towards the Titan. The tranny in it is the same one that the ram 3500 uses with the high output torque engine; transfer case?. The truck is assembled in the USA too. The main problem is waiting for the pricing and the trucks getting to dealer lots. I know that dealers are going to be putting second stickers on them and charging another 4000 to 6000 dollars for area markup. My guess will be around 50K full loaded. The truck is supposed to go on sale after the Detroit auto show in January. It sounds like they just waiting until then and then send everything to the dealers.
If there is anybody on this forum that works for/vendor for Nissan in the canton, MS assembly plant. That has info that they are building trucks right now and slowing getting the rate up? TIA

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Wow. That's quite the markup. lol. We rarely see crazy markup like that here in Canada because, well all our vehicles are already marked up!! lol

I agree the wait is a killer!! I have truck buying blue balls LMAO

·
94 Posts
Indeed, we pay a lot for vehicles up here.

I'm also caught between a RAM(2500 with a manual tranny) and the Titan. I don't need the power of the RAM but I do prefer manual I can easily tune down some of that power into greater fuel efficiency. The torque curve of the Titan impresses me and tells me it is capable of significant tuning up as well as down and the Titan comes with a locking rear diff option. At this point I'm slightly swaying toward RAM but I can wait till April to have my truck in my driveway so I'm waiting on the Titan to give both of them a back to back test drive. Price could be the determining factor if they over charge for the Titan but Nissan seems to be pretty good in that area. I do have some reservations regarding the longevity of the ISV compared to ISB due to lack of information but either way, I'll have a new truck with a Cummins engine.

·
313 Posts
The tranny in it is the same one that the ram 3500 uses with the high output torque engine; transfer case?
Really doubt if it's the *exactly* the same tranny. It looks very similar from the outside, but not exactly the same. Probably more than rugged enough though.

And dunno about the transfer case.

But the drive train looks very rugged. My only question is with the rear axle/wheels. The 10.5" differential looks good, but the axle with those 6 lug wheels appears not to be a full-float. Not sure how that will pan out in terms of payload and rear GAWR.

The rugged drive train appears to be engineered to handle the Cummins high torque output, not to increase the truck's payload capacity.

·
313 Posts
I'm also caught between a RAM(2500 with a manual tranny) and the Titan. I don't need the power of the RAM but I do prefer manual I can easily tune down some of that power into greater fuel efficiency.
I was wondering about that. The Cummins already comes detuned for the manual tranny, but you can detune it more for fuel economy?

Unfortunately I cannot possibly deal with a clutch when backing up my trailer into a tight campsite. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Really doubt if it's the *exactly* the same tranny. It looks very similar from the outside, but not exactly the same. Probably more than rugged enough though.

And dunno about the transfer case.

But the drive train looks very rugged. My only question is with the rear axle/wheels. The 10.5" differential looks good, but the axle with those 6 lug wheels appears not to be a full-float. Not sure how that will pan out in terms of payload and rear GAWR.

The rugged drive train appears to be engineered to handle the Cummins high torque output, not to increase the truck's payload capacity.
I was also wondering where they sourced the transfer case!

How can you tell the different axles?

Tx

M1lks

·
94 Posts
I was wondering about that. The Cummins already comes detuned for the manual tranny, but you can detune it more for fuel economy?

Unfortunately I cannot possibly deal with a clutch when backing up my trailer into a tight campsite. :frown2:
You can tune down the power more quite easily when the truck isn't hauling more than people and groceries hardly noticing it. Personally I never tune down power when towing, I want all available power on hand just in case I need it.

Manual is just my personal preference, nothing wrong with the autos these days and I'm sure I'll be fine with the one in the Titan if that becomes my truck.

·
91 Posts
I'm in a similar situation - deciding between going with a RAM...or waiting for this Titan. Is it worth the wait? Honestly...I was excited at first...like 10 months ago, and have checked frequently for updates on this new truck ever since. But it's been so long, with so little updates that this truck is already, to me...kinda old, and almost out-of-date...and it hasn't even been released yet!

Having spent 5 months in a Ram 3500 Mega Cab Laramie...I'm really leaning heavily towards one. Here's why:
-Cummins I6...there is absolutely nothing this truck can't handle. It will do anything you ask of it. Plus that signature sound.
-Highway fuel mileage...consistent 9.5-10.5 l/100km at generous cruising speeds (110-120 km/h). Good luck getting that in a half ton!
-Infotainment...Uconnect. Self explanatory!
-7 inch gauge cluster screen...it's beautiful. Customizable. It's done right.
-The finer details...def gauge; LED accent lights in the door compartments, handles, under the seat, everywhere!; innovative tow mirrors; remote locking tailgate; I could go on...

But then there's this 2016 Titan XD
-it's something different, ballsy, in your face
-On paper...it's legit. Cummins engine, Aisin tranny, 3/4 ton build
-And most importantly...it's different. And, contrary to what I said above...it's new. But not without the concerns of price, dealership support, reliability, infotainment goodness, and of course...the finer details

Decisions decisions decisions

·
313 Posts
-Highway fuel mileage...consistent 9.5-10.5 l/100km at generous cruising speeds (110-120 km/h). Good luck getting that in a half ton!
That's some of the best mileage I've seen for a RAM Cummins I6.

Fuelly.com averages about 15 L/100km (15.7 mpgUS) for the last few years, with the best around 12 (20 mpg) and some upto 20 L/100 (12 mpg), but that includes all types of driving, not just hwy cruising.

There are reports around here that the Titan XD can get up to 26-27 mpgUS on the hwy.

·
91 Posts
Before I get the "pics or it didn't happen" post...here's proof. This was after a 1,600+ km multi-province trip. I did this trip 3 times in that 1 ton mega cab. All I did was set the cruise and go.

Attachments

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Diesels are a bit odd, fuel economy goes up as you increase power, not decrease it. Though like with anything there is a point of diminishing returns and eventually it starts to go backwards.

Detuning increases fuel consumption because you're not as efficiently using the displacement of the engine to produce power.

·
94 Posts
Diesels are a bit odd, fuel economy goes up as you increase power, not decrease it. Though like with anything there is a point of diminishing returns and eventually it starts to go backwards.

Detuning increases fuel consumption because you're not as efficiently using the displacement of the engine to produce power.
Halfing the power on a Cummins I6 in a newer RAM(2013) improves fuel economy significantly. Buddy of mine averages about 13L/100km without tuning, and can bump that to between 9-10L/100km. My old Ford(7.3L) on the other hand, if I half it, the engine has to work too hard to drive on the highway and fuel consumption goes way up if I try. However I can improve my fuel consumption by down turning by about 30% without problem for any kind of load free driving I have done with her. I calculate my untuned average around 18L/100km and I can get that down to about 13-14L/100km.(Needless to say...it's time for a new truck.)
Tuning works the same way for gas engines; there is a happy medium and if you pass it, you use more fuel.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
The big issue with the 7.3L and fuel consumption was going over 2000rpm then it really started to comsume fuel.

Good observations though!

·
608 Posts
Given what we know now about some of the diesel engines floating around, I think that this Cummins engine is looking even better than it did just a little while ago in terms of fuel consumption and such.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts