Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas - need some insight. bought my truck brand new, 2016 XD PR Cummins. religiously maintained per the book by myself. 61k miles. completely bone stock and always has run perfectly. Tuesday while driving along on the road, the check engine light came on. truck was running fine no issues at all. I drove it about 70 miles making several stops along the way to meet clients. I got home and was going to scan it with my Accel OBD-II scanner but when I shut it off and keyed it back on, the check engine light was gone and it was saying no codes. several days went by and today the CEL came on again. again it continued to drive fine. this time I stopped right then and scanned it with my Accel scanner (I had it with me in the console this time). it turned up P00AF (Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Module Performance) and P003A (Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Position Exceeded Learning Limit). I cleared the codes and drove about another 40 miles today making two stops and no CEL (yet). it's continuing to run great and feels normal power wise and the mileage is as usual (since tues it is averaging 18.8 mpg in mixed driving, which is right about where it usually is).

question - is this the Turbo Actuator beginning to fail? or something else? if it is the Actuator, where is the best place for me to order a replacement (I'll install it myself, as I like to do all my own maintenance). thanks for the assistance!

Todd

14 Posts
Hey fellas - need some insight. bought my truck brand new, 2016 XD PR Cummins. religiously maintained per the book by myself. 61k miles. completely bone stock and always has run perfectly. Tuesday while driving along on the road, the check engine light came on. truck was running fine no issues at all. I drove it about 70 miles making several stops along the way to meet clients. I got home and was going to scan it with my Accel OBD-II scanner but when I shut it off and keyed it back on, the check engine light was gone and it was saying no codes. several days went by and today the CEL came on again. again it continued to drive fine. this time I stopped right then and scanned it with my Accel scanner (I had it with me in the console this time). it turned up P00AF (Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Module Performance) and P003A (Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Position Exceeded Learning Limit). I cleared the codes and drove about another 40 miles today making two stops and no CEL (yet). it's continuing to run great and feels normal power wise and the mileage is as usual (since tues it is averaging 18.8 mpg in mixed driving, which is right about where it usually is).

question - is this the Turbo Actuator beginning to fail? or something else? if it is the Actuator, where is the best place for me to order a replacement (I'll install it myself, as I like to do all my own maintenance). thanks for the assistance!

Todd
I had the P00AF and it turned out to be the turbo damper actuator that regulates between the hi and low flow turbos. Spoke with another XD owner and he had the same issue. Seems common with these engines. Long lead times on the part as well.

9 Posts

Todd
I have the same issue and my truck is at the dealer waiting to be fixed. They quoted me $1900 for the repair.
They don't have the actuator and they are hoping they can get one in 5-7 days.

I find the price they gave me extremely high when supposedly it only takes 10 minutes to remove and replace the actuator.

I would love to hear your comments from those that had this done.

Thank you !

67 Posts
I did it myself and cost less than $800 after they reprogrammed the new one for me. If I was you I would shop around online and do it yourself, but if you have a 2016-2017 model they now cover it for 10 years 150,000 miles for specific vins. I would have Nissan look at this if you have a 2016-2017 model.

9 Posts
Update on my 2016 Titan XD 5.0 turbo diesel.

Got a call from the dealer that they replaced the turbo actuator and took the truck out for a test drive and engine light came on again.
This time a different set of codes. Something about the low pressure and not covered under that 150,000 mile extension.
It will cost me just shy of $5000 for this repair.
Is anyone familiar with this. Have any of you here had any issues with that ?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

320 Posts
Did they tell you what codes went off? Only thing you really need the technicians for is calibrating stuff with a computer. You can do just about anything else with simple tools. Nissan techs seem to have a reputation of throwing parts at the 5.0L Cummins and not actually fixing it. My guess isn't incompetence, but lack of proper training mixed with trying to get cars turned around and out the door. That, and they're probably following a book or dealership policy that's miselading them. $5000 is a lot of money for a turbo that isn't horribly difficult to access. This is assuming the turbo is even the problem to begin with. It could be a bad sensor providing a false reading, a dirty connector or damaged wire affecting the voltage being read by the ECM, or something else entirely that is effecting the turbo as a side effect. DTC's often fail to tell the whole story, and can often be misleading. A computer can't study what's happening outside of what sensors tell it, and sensors can fail. Again, I'm not claiming the thechs are idiots since I don't know first-hand what's happening, but the solution might be something that isn't worth paying for a mechanic's crippling debt to Snap-on.

Here are my suggestions: pull the codes and post them here, along with every bit of information you have pertaining to the situation. No matter how miniscule it seems, the more you tell us, the better. If it's still at the shop, get that info. From there, we can all contribute our thoughts and experiences on the issue and make suggestions. That can potentially save you a ton of money, and you'll learn a lot about your truck in the proccess. Stuff like this is why online forums are a great tool.

Here's a service manual and tech article to help you better understand the Holset M2 system and everything that supoorts and surrounds it.

9 Posts
Thank you for your response.
The truck is at the dealer and they advise me not to drive it. I plan on going to the dealer this morning and getting some answers and find out what codes popped up.
I had a terrible time tossing and turning all night thinking about this truck.

9 Posts
Wento see service guy (not the tech) at dealer this morning and asked him what part(s) the truck needs now and also that I wanted a copy of the print out of the codes the engine threw this time.
According to him the engine turbo 1 turbine bypass actuator 1 is the issue. He said they are replacing the whole low pressure turbo.
The code is P1A62-00.

They have no idea when they can get their hands on the part(s) and unfortunately that code is NOT covered under the 10 year/150,000 mile extension, only the P00AF-00 (TC/SC BOOST CONTROL ACTUATOR) and it'll cost me just shy of $5,000.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Manny
Font Rectangle Handwriting Number Paper

Font Material property Number Paper Paper product

320 Posts
I'm guessing they can't just order the actuator by itself? I'd call some junkyards and see about getting a bypass actuator. Use car-parts.com to find one close to you and make some calls. Also, how do they know it's bad? Did they remove the actuator and test it? It could be a bad vaccum solenoid that controls it. Or perhaps the solenoid isn't getting signal current.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts