Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2016 Titan Xd diesel in October 2019. I love the truck. I love all the bells and whistles of the platinum reserve trim level. Upon buying the truck from a private seller the truck seemed very well maintained. It has higher mileage 103,000 when purchased. No misses or noises. This truck’s carfax showed the replacement of all of the fuel system components replaced at 85,000 miles. January 2020 I suddenly feel an engine miss two miles after departing for work in the morning. I return slowly and carefully home park the truck. I have over 20yrs of experience working on gasoline engines and grab my scanner immediately. I get a p0204 code(cylinder 4 injector circuit open). I then use my gasser 05’ Titan to get to work. I took the truck to the nearest dealer and they replaced the diesel injector for cylinder 4. Paid nearly $1000 between part and labor. After only driving the vehicle approximately 1500 miles, March 15, 2020 same stutter and same CEL is back. I have searched through and read many threads that suggest that possibly
the engine harness may be the culprit. Now I ask those that have had similar issues: is there anyone that has replaced the harness that can provide advice? My experience has been with gas motors, and I have yet to find that within 1500 miles an original part numbered factory warrantied fuel injector to fail so quickly. This part was original from Nissan. I understand my returning the vehicle to the dealer will result in possibly replacing this injector once again as that is what the dealership will find most profitable. So I call on you to provide more details regarding this harness issue. I have as of now ordered the replacement harness.

·
929 Posts
I bought my 2016 Titan Xd diesel in October 2019. I love the truck. I love all the bells and whistles of the platinum reserve trim level. Upon buying the truck from a private seller the truck seemed very well maintained. It has higher mileage 103,000 when purchased. No misses or noises. This truck’s carfax showed the replacement of all of the fuel system components replaced at 85,000 miles. January 2020 I suddenly feel an engine miss two miles after departing for work in the morning. I return slowly and carefully home park the truck. I have over 20yrs of experience working on gasoline engines and grab my scanner immediately. I get a p0204 code(cylinder 4 injector circuit open). I then use my gasser 05’ Titan to get to work. I took the truck to the nearest dealer and they replaced the diesel injector for cylinder 4. Paid nearly $1000 between part and labor. After only driving the vehicle approximately 1500 miles, March 15, 2020 same stutter and same CEL is back. I have searched through and read many threads that suggest that possibly
the engine harness may be the culprit. Now I ask those that have had similar issues: is there anyone that has replaced the harness that can provide advice? My experience has been with gas motors, and I have yet to find that within 1500 miles an original part numbered factory warrantied fuel injector to fail so quickly. This part was original from Nissan. I understand my returning the vehicle to the dealer will result in possibly replacing this injector once again as that is what the dealership will find most profitable. So I call on you to provide more details regarding this harness issue. I have as of now ordered the replacement harness.
If it was a failure of the replacement injector it should be replaced for free under the parts warranty which is 12 months or 12,000 miles. But more than likely it is an issue with either an open wire or poor pin fit in a connector.

·
857 Posts
Exactly what was already said- the next time you take it in, the diagnostics should be free as well as parts that got replaced last time.

The only charges you should see will be parts that weren’t replaced last time and labor.

Take your last receipt for reference and I hope you get it sorted out. Keep us posted what it ends up being!

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am in deep sorrow to say the dealership informed me that Cylinder 4 is scored. The dealership is recommending a new engine. It is surreal to me that any motor, regardless a heavy duty diesel engine, could require replacement at just over 100,000 miles. Much less when maintained properly, under daily driver duty(without tow use), and only serviced on schedule by Nissan service departments. I have owned this vehicle from the end of October 2019 until now, never expecting to be in this position. My other vehicle is a 05' Nissan Titan King Cab that has only given me amazing performance, and reliability. This was major reason that drew me to the second generation Titan. I have the pleasure and priveledge to have purchased this vehicle from a responsible owner. The previous owner has agreed to provide service records for this vehicle, although he has no obligation to do so. I am shocked that despite the refinements to the interior and body features this engine has failed. I have looked online searching for parts or repair estimates and found none for this engine. Furthermore I have been charged $540.00 for the diagnostic alone. Unfortunately we are all suffering the fallout of Covid-19 and as a result my hours have been reduced to 28 per week. I am continuing to make my vehicle payments despite this. I ask this community for pertinent advice and assitance in ways to resolve this. If anyone can refer me to an known engine builder or has a good replacement option please respond. I honestly dont expect Nissan to do anything for me, as vehicle is outside of warranty. Responses are greatly appreciated. May you and your family stay healthy thru these trying times!

Kind Regards

·
Read Only
198 Posts
Well I am in deep sorrow to say the dealership informed me that Cylinder 4 is scored. The dealership is recommending a new engine. It is surreal to me that any motor, regardless a heavy duty diesel engine, could require replacement at just over 100,000 miles. Much less when maintained properly, under daily driver duty(without tow use), and only serviced on schedule by Nissan service departments. I have owned this vehicle from the end of October 2019 until now, never expecting to be in this position. My other vehicle is a 05' Nissan Titan King Cab that has only given me amazing performance, and reliability. This was major reason that drew me to the second generation Titan. I have the pleasure and priveledge to have purchased this vehicle from a responsible owner. The previous owner has agreed to provide service records for this vehicle, although he has no obligation to do so. I am shocked that despite the refinements to the interior and body features this engine has failed. I have looked online searching for parts or repair estimates and found none for this engine. Furthermore I have been charged $540.00 for the diagnostic alone. Unfortunately we are all suffering the fallout of Covid-19 and as a result my hours have been reduced to 28 per week. I am continuing to make my vehicle payments despite this. I ask this community for pertinent advice and assitance in ways to resolve this. If anyone can refer me to an known engine builder or has a good replacement option please respond. I honestly dont expect Nissan to do anything for me, as vehicle is outside of warranty. Responses are greatly appreciated. May you and your family stay healthy thru these trying times!

Kind Regards
$540 is literally robbery they should be ashamed. There is no chance for warranty Some dealerships will slip them through I would plead.

·
1,638 Posts
Sounds to me like it started with the original issue when the fuel system was replaced. Scored or not a open injector circuit is a separate issue. What are they telling/charging you that that issue is? The injector they installed was junk? Wiring?

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well ,the dealer service department has not provided a cause for the engine failure. My opinion is that the replaced injector failed and got stuck open, therefore washing the cylinder. Before loading the truck onto a the flatbed tow truck I scanned the truck for trouble codes, it returned the code of cylinder 4 injector circuit open. I believe the replacement injector failed and caused cylinder 4 to washout. The replacement injector was purchased from Nissan directly. To avoid responsibility the dealer will not state cause for engine failure.It goes without mentioning this engine now has 110,000 miles, so it is in Nissan's best interest to withhold cause to avoid liability. I am at a loss of words as I never expected to encounter so much difficulty with a newer modern diesel engine. I call on anyone with a similar experience to this to advise. I have found a low milleage replacement for my engine as the alterntive is to pay $14,000 to replace engine through dealer service department. Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just picked up my vehicle from the dealer service department. Magically truck is not knocking or missing, however now it’s smoking. I hypothesize it is a result of the diagnostic procedure of the technician removing injector #4 and probing the cylinder with the scope. The images show the cylinder is scored. This explains loss of compression and thus the smoke in the tail pipe. Obviously, the damage is done to the cylinder. However the injector was not replaced, only removed and reinstalled. The only logical explanation is either the injector is faulty or the connector harness now made the connection. My take is in agreement with other members post that the harness is at fault. My challenge lies in the fact that Nissan’s service department did not include in the repair write up that said harness should be replaced. In fact they only suggested a long block replacement that does not address the real issue that the cylinder washed out due to an fuel injection failure. So essentially they look to replace the long block, without addressing the reason it failed to begin with. So I could spend $14,000 to later have the replacement engine fail. That is unacceptable.

·
305 Posts
Yes, it is ashamed that happened. If you do decide to replace the engine, there are a lot of wrecking yard engines on Ebay. Pretty good deals for some. A lot cheaper than 14K if you can find a shop to put it in.

Like this one:

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, Vann5 I was able to find an engine for 2019 Titan Xd 5.0 4x4 with 2k at $4000. I almost have the damaged unit out. Now, the challenge is that the harnesses have different part numbers. I plan to just use my old harness, though I am a bit nervous. I think that the injector harness may have been the problem that caused the engine failure to begin with. But I dont have any choice than to buy a new harness for 1,700, or figure out the differences and adapt them. I guess I will have to post my findings once I get it all done. If any one reading knows the differences or can point me in the right direction to find a good write up or tech data please chime in.

·
1,638 Posts
Different part numbers dont always mean it's a different part, could just be updated components in it. Lay them out together and compare them, also if your deleting now is a good time to remove alot of the bs

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply XDHunter. This afternoon after finishing with my 9-5 I will be removing the hurt engine from the engine bay. As over the last 4 days I’ve be diligently hacking away at the project that this truck is to work on for this. Once I remove the engine I will set the side by side and thouroughly inspect each component visually. Then I plan on pulling both engine harnesses fully and going wire by wire, harness plug, by plug. Hopefullly they are the same and only updated to cure the previous harness’s faults. I guess there’s no easy way. I will however post my findings for anyone in the future. I do have questions on full delete however. Unfortunately I’ve spent my money on the replacement engine so not deleting during swap unfortunately. I understand ezlink and flo pro are the components used for eco and exhaust but what about egr deleting?

·
2017 Titan XD Diesel Pro4X, 2017 Nissan Armada Platinum
50 Posts
I think that question is best answered by XDHunter, but I would guess it would be a lot easier to do the EGR delete while the engine is out. I realize this thread has been dead for 7 months, but hoping to revive it and find out what the end result was with the engine swap.

·
318 Posts
While we're resurrecting this thread, I just wanted to chime in that I had a similar code thrown a few months ago for my number 8 injector, and the culprit was a poor-fitting plug that led to intermittent bad connection. Replacing the wiring harness did the trick, ten days and $2,100 later. It's apparently so common that the diesel tech diagnosed it by ear when they cranked the truck.

·
2017 Titan XD Diesel Pro4X, 2017 Nissan Armada Platinum
50 Posts
Wow! For it to be common enough for him to diagnose by ear it a little disheartening.... but I am glad you got it fixed. $2100? Ouch!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts