Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that has bothered me since I bought my truck is the parking break. I have had it adjusted several times and its good for a while and then gets weak and too much pedal travel. I am one of those folks who always applies my parking break and was puzzled why I would have an issue with adjustment in a still new vehicle. After having to solve other problems myself after having visited one of the local dealers I decided to try working it differently. First I put the truck in park and repeatedly applied the parking break, I found that if I let the pedal pop up when I release it and/or if I tap the breaks while backing up it appears to self adjust.
Hope this helps someone.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Yes, that's correct, self adjusting.. the adjusters star wheel is activated when backing and appling the parking pedal several time. You have to be careful as you can get them a little to tight and thus will drag until they are worn down some.. if they get to hot they will glaze and will not hold as well..then

·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, thanks fueldog. I have never manually adjusted them, I left that to the dealer and they would not adjust them much mostly the cable. The point I was trying to make is driving style and operation of the pedal appeared to have an impact on the self adjusters. I normally back up slow and steady with my foot on the brake, normally I ease the parking brake off with my foot on the pedal. Drive like an old guy and the style I believe never gave the pedal a chance to adjust. Thanks though your input is always valued.

·
274 Posts
I have pretty much considered my parking brake to be completely useless since I have purchased my truck, but I still apply it about 95% of the time just hoping that it will actually hold just once to keep the load off of my transmission. So when I release, I need to let it slip from my foot just as it does when I'm over the legal limit?

·
849 Posts
The parking brake system is actually not self adjusting on the XD. There is no mechanism to adjust the parking brake shoes automatically. Typically what happens is rust builds up on the surface of the parking brake drum and wears the friction material on the shoes while driving causing the parking brake to become out of adjustment.

·
274 Posts
On another note, I had my parking brake on my passenger side tire freeze the other day. After a few attempts of back and forth to see if it would let loose it never did. I had to go find me a bucket of hot water to make it out of my snow packed driveway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts