Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let’s beat a dead horse, towing vs payload.

I have 2018 Titan XD SL 4x4. Payload is 1543, GCVWR less than 19540. I want a 5th wheel. I understand pin weights would push a little over payload (200-400lbs) still about 2k less than max GCVWR. So I’m thinking, throw some airbags to push weight more towards the front axle; concept is understood no different than the current weight dib for the camper now.

Thoughts?

·
228 Posts
Air bags don't do a thing to increase the rear axle weight rating, but I see guys pulling 5th wheels way overloaded all the time. Those design engineers don't know squat. :rolleyes: All's good till you have an accident and kill somebody. The lawyers will have a field day with you. JMHO

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
237 Posts
He’s talking airbags to level out which gives the appearance that it moved weight to the front. I don’t think that’s the case. In fact you probably only add a little more weight with the bags and their fittings. Visibly your squat would be less but I don’t think they actually transfer any weight if that’s your goal. But I’m no engineer. 🤷‍♂️

·
1,475 Posts
Airbags will only make the squat go away. The only thing that will transfer weight to the front is a wd hitch

·
4 Posts
Let’s beat a dead horse, towing vs payload.

I have 2018 Titan XD SL 4x4. Payload is 1543, GCVWR less than 19540. I want a 5th wheel. I understand pin weights would push a little over payload (200-400lbs) still about 2k less than max GCVWR. So I’m thinking, throw some airbags to push weight more towards the front axle; concept is understood no different than the current weight dib for the camper now.

Thoughts?
I have the same truck. Recommend you don't go that route. I tow a Grand Design trailer (hitch pull) of 10,000 lbs but a hitch weight of 1,400 lbs and use a WDH. That puts me right at my max and it tows great, but I can tell it's close to the max. Also consider insurance implications if - God forbid - something went wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts