Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about how important the payload rating is when determining whether a certain Goosneck (or 5th wheel with an adapter) will work with the Titan. I have the SL Midnight edition of the Titan XD Cummins. Max payload according to the door is 1,543 pounds, which once you consider the passengers and cargo, and it is likely meaning only around 1k of available pin weight. I get it, it is kind of a disingenuous design feature to have a Gooseneck option when the capacity realistically is not designed to use that design.

However, it got me thinking that Nissan would not be putting themselves in a position liability-wise to put in a capability that would be both structurally risky to the trick itself, but also dangerous for the driver using the gooseneck. I am also curious, given how overbuilt this truck is in certain aspects (engine, transmission) why is the payload so limited on the truck? I can only guess the frame itself, designed for a smaller engine and payload, is unfortunately under-designed for the engine.

So here is my question: how much over the payload would you be willing to go over before feeling that it is dangerous and or a risk to the structural integrity of the truck?

Older Thread on Payload

·
350 Posts
This discussion has popped up before and I think, generally there are two camps;

One group says the limits Nissan published are absolute and you should NEVER exceed them.

2nd group says this truck is engineered to handle more than what Nissan says and so long as you aren't being ridiculous about it operating over the weight ratings is not a problem.

Each side can offer some pretty good reasoning for their opinions.

There have been multiple reports of owners operating at and above max weights and finding the XD handles just fine, pulls it well, and feels solid and well mannered doing it.

My opinion is that I would never PLAN on exceeding the weight limits but I wouldn't worry one bit if for one reason or another the weight ended up being a little over.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
350 Posts
An observation I have made after having some experience with the XD diesel and a 2019 F150 eco-boost is that the XD is far easier to tow weight with than the F150. The XD is easier to handle, more stable and far less stressed at near max load than the F150 is at 2/3 max.

Just illustrates how the ratings often don't truly indicate how well these trucks are suited to a task. The 2019 F150 eco-boost is rated to handle more tow weight than the XD but I wouldn't trust it with anything near that weight.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An observation I have made after having some experience with the XD diesel and a 2019 F150 eco-boost is that the XD is far easier to tow weight with than the F150. The XD is easier to handle, more stable and far less stressed at near max load than the F150 is at 2/3 max.

Just illustrates how the ratings often don't truly indicate how well these trucks are suited to a task. The 2019 F150 eco-boost is rated to handle more tow weight than the XD but I wouldn't trust it with anything near that weight.

^^^^^^^ This point is never made by the media when detailing the new trucks. They throw out tow ratings and never really provide an honest account of the WWWIT rating of a Truck (What Weight Would I Tow). Engines are meaningless if the rest of the platform is designed for something different. I do wonder if a Diesel Brothers axle swap would change the payload rating of the Nissan.

My entire point for asking is really for understanding what style camper and what weight camper could reasonably pull with the Nissan on a regular basis, and there are few gooseneck campers, if any, that could realistically by pulled by the Titan XD without exceeding the payload limits of this truck.

·
262 Posts
I regularly tow my fifth wheel that weighs 13000 fully loaded and has a pin weight approaching 2000 pounds. Never had an issue and feel perfectly comfortable knowing what I do about how the truck is engineered.

That being said, I don't endorse anyone else doing what I do, just putting it out there.

·
52 Posts
I traded in my 2018 F150 3.5 EcoBoost for my 2019 Gas XD Pro4x. The towing is night and day stability wise in favor of the XD. I still can't wrap my head around how much better it is!
Met a guy Saturday who went from an F150 to a Titan Gas XD and said the same exact thing. Glad to hear bc it's why I traded in my F150 for the Titan XD but haven't pulled a camper yet.

As for a 5th wheel- it's kind of funny how the camper industry labels them as 1/2 ton towable. My XD has a payload of 2300 lbs and most smaller 5th wheels are 1400-1900 pin weight. I'm going with a travel trailer for this reason as I've never seen a definite answer if you get in an accident and insurance investigates to find you're over payload ratings- can they deny a claim? In that case hope you have umbrella insurance...

·
350 Posts
We may be one of the few classes of drivers & vehicle owners who pay any significant attention to things like GVMR or tow weight and payload weight ratings.

I've been involved with a lot of vehicular accident investigations and I think many people would be shocked to discover how often owners/operators of domestic cars, minivans, and SUVs, especially minivans, are loaded beyond their weight ratings with people and packages or they have replaced their tires and/or wheels with ones that aren't rated for the weights and use for which they are using them.

·
350 Posts
As for a 5th wheel- it's kind of funny how the camper industry labels them as 1/2 ton towable. My XD has a payload of 2300 lbs and most smaller 5th wheels are 1400-1900 pin weight. I'm going with a travel trailer for this reason as I've never seen a definite answer if you get in an accident and insurance investigates to find you're over payload ratings- can they deny a claim? In that case hope you have umbrella insurance...[/QUOTE]

I think the whole talk of 1/2 ton towable fifth-wheel campers is marketing driven and the engineers who design them never actually designed them to be pulled by that small of a truck.

That being said, our XDs aren't any normal 1/2 ton truck, so there's that.

·
52 Posts
We may be one of the few classes of drivers & vehicle owners who pay any significant attention to things like GVMR or tow weight and payload weight ratings.

I've been involved with a lot of vehicular accident investigations and I think many people would be shocked to discover how often owners/operators of domestic cars, minivans, and SUVs, especially minivans, are loaded beyond their weight ratings with people and packages or they have replaced their tires and/or wheels with ones that aren't rated for the weights and use for which they are using them.

I think you nailed that. Most are completely clueless on what payload means, even most truck salesman. I had a conversation with another gentleman at Lowe's asking how he liked his XD diesel, he loved the truck and tows a 5th wheel. He ask why I got the gas version and I responded by saying I wanted the extra payload. His response being no no, mine has more payload about 13000 pounds. Yep, smiled and told him have great one, not about to correct a stranger.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I regularly tow my fifth wheel that weighs 13000 fully loaded and has a pin weight approaching 2000 pounds. Never had an issue and feel perfectly comfortable knowing what I do about how the truck is engineered.

That being said, I don't endorse anyone else doing what I do, just putting it out there.
Any pictures, just to see how the suspension holds up? I agree, the truck seems engineered to handle these loads, and also agree that the Gooseneck/5th Wheel RV market is either correct in the fact these vehicles can tow these, or are putting people's lives/trucks in danger by even designing and marketing these. However - what other 1/2 tons are Gooseneck/5th Wheel options?

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you nailed that. Most are completely clueless on what payload means, even most truck salesman. I had a conversation with another gentleman at Lowe's asking how he liked his XD diesel, he loved the truck and tows a 5th wheel. He ask why I got the gas version and I responded by saying I wanted the extra payload. His response being no no, mine has more payload about 13000 pounds. Yep, smiled and told him have great one, not about to correct a stranger.
I don't blame most consumers. Almost all media and information focuses on the pure ability of a truck to pull X weight forward. In addition, I think the Titan XD is one of the most unique vehicles in regards to design, and engineering limits for the design, forcing this upon us. Most 1/2 ton owners do not have gooseneck/5th wheel optionality. Not to mention, the majority of 1/2 ton owners are not buying trucks for towing capacity. It is mostly a lifestyle or "Home Depot" hauler vehicle.

Finally, the 3/4 and Full-Ton consumer is less constrained by payload, so most of the consumer items (campers) are not even a concern from a payload standpoint.

We literally, as Titan XD owners, dealing with a constraint (payload) that is not an issue for most (1/2 Ton engine/design limited while 3/4 or Full Ton owners are not constrained at all). Only others who maybe deal with these considerations are commercial HD truck owners dealing with extreme loads and semi truck drivers where they are constantly facing pressure to deliver more per load.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plus - did you really want to ruin his day, cause him anxiety, when we can use him as an unwilling lab rat for the design limits of the Titan XD?

·
4 Posts
New to this forum, but with a 16' platinum with a dismal payload of under 1400lbs, I just hauled a load of coal home that was well over stickered payload. I have a 2500 Chevy diesel company truck that has hauled the same load, and the Titan handled just as well if not better then they Chevy.
I did alot of research on the Nissan before we bought it (wife's daily driver), and I've driven 3/4-1ton trucks for 10+ years and these Titans are over built and under rated. I understand why Nissan derated them, but it also annoys me. They are very capable trucks.

·
134 Posts
I completely agree with roadlesstraveled and pennstate; I came out of a 2003 2500HD 8.1vortec into my 2016 XD PR. the XD handles my enclosed car trailer better than my 2500HD did. hands down better/more stable. and the XD rides AMAZINGLY better when there is no trailer on. like, lexus vs a dump truck when comparing the unloaded ride. I think Nissan overbuilt most systems on our XDs but kept the springs soft enough that the unloaded ride wouldn't be destroyed and thus the lower payload ratings. of course I'm not a Nissan engineer but this makes sense to me.

I have two enclosed trailers; one is much shorter and is a stripper and has no generator or cabinets or table or AC. it's tongue weight is around 1000 lbs. no weight disty bars. when I got the XD 3 yrs ago that's the only trailer I had and it towed flat and level with about 1-3/4" squat. the new trailer is much longer and has a built in Onan-Cummins generator up front with a 20 gal gas tank and AC and tool cabinets and tire racks and winch and etc etc. first time I hooked that up and towed it home after buying it the XD squatted about 4". towed it fine but I didn't like that it wasn't level. even with the weight disty bars tightened up it still wasn't near level. after that I installed a set of Timbrens in the rear leafs and it's back to 2" squat and perfect level towing. XD now handles the big trailer fantastic; I'd make a guess that the tongue weight is probably around 1800-2000 lbs (just a guess) but with the Timbrens it handles so nice even in big winds or rough roads it's a one handed drive.

I really think that Nissan 'softened up' the XD on purpose figuring that 90% of the public buying it would want the nice soft unloaded ride over a higher payload/tow rating. Ford and RAM with their new crop of half tons decided to make the trucks nice and soft but put BIG ratings on them anyway. I can't imagine that towing my current trailer with a F150 max tow or a RAM 1500 ecodiesel would be much of a 'one hand on the wheel at 70 mph' tow to the racetrack on a windy rainy night. more like a 'oh shit I hope i make it without wiping out' driving 55 mph with white knuckles! stability and handling and the weight and design of the suspension is more important to me than how fast it can climb the Ike hill!

·
262 Posts
Any pictures, just to see how the suspension holds up? I agree, the truck seems engineered to handle these loads, and also agree that the Gooseneck/5th Wheel RV market is either correct in the fact these vehicles can tow these, or are putting people's lives/trucks in danger by even designing and marketing these. However - what other 1/2 tons are Gooseneck/5th Wheel options?
IMG_20190808_140515.jpg

1 - 20 of 61 Posts