Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently acquired a Pearl white PR and love evrything about it, except all of the chrome. I am looking to either black it out or smoke it. I was curiouse if anyone had done this and their results. Looking for some pics.

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of Chrome!

I really love my truck, but I personally find the chrome to be a bit tacky or pretentious. A big fan of the PR interior, but am quite fond of the P4X exterior. I am aware that some people rather love all the chrome, but I am not. I am sure that others would agree.

·
701 Posts
I really love my truck, but I personally find the chrome to be a bit tacky or pretentious. A big fan of the PR interior, but am quite fond of the P4X exterior. I am aware that some people rather love all the chrome, but I am not. I am sure that others would agree.
millennials !! xxx

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not even close. Just a plain old 44 year old Tennessee boy. Lets be real, all this Chrome **** has derived from the last 10 years. Its the automakers trying to give us what they think we want. I probably would not mind it as much if it were chromed metal. But plastic? That just makes it look cheap. In my opinion.

·
129 Posts
Not even close. Just a plain old 44 year old Tennessee boy. Lets be real, all this Chrome **** has derived from the last 10 years. Its the automakers trying to give us what they think we want. I probably would not mind it as much if it were chromed metal. But plastic? That just makes it look cheap. In my opinion.

Agree 100% plastic chrome is just plain bad, like dodge plastic chromed rims no thanks! I wanted the white but couldn’t get it in 100% white so went with black and that was my only reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
492 Posts
To chrome, or not to chrome...Another "first world" problem.
Pretentious or nice? It's an opinion. I don't think it's pretentious, but it's my opinion.
I have noticed that the choice is somewhat related to the age of the owner.
Styles change with the times. Just try to be "in with the in crowd"...or do whatever floats your boat.

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could not agree more with your statement. I do believe that it maybe a bit faddish and the best way to date a design is to do what is popular. That is why I wanted to explore smoked chrome.

Those who know me would agree that I am the last person to do what the rest do. **** if that were me, I would be in a Ram or a Ford. The Titan was a leap for my taste, but the opportunity presented and it became quite the deal for me. I am enjoying the ride.

·
90 Posts
I've done some playing around with the mirror caps and the PR billboard. I say playing around, because I was testing the waters of the chrome tint by Duplicolor. It actually turned out nice, but I went dark enough that it may as well have been gloss black. So gloss is what I applied to the billboard. It turned out better than I had expected. Next is to rough it up and use some high quality auto paint with several coats of clear. Going to mask off the letters on the billboard and have them filled body color as well. Here's what I have at the moment.

Attachments

·
701 Posts
I could not agree more with your statement. I do believe that it maybe a bit faddish and the best way to date a design is to do what is popular. That is why I wanted to explore smoked chrome.

Those who know me would agree that I am the last person to do what the rest do. **** if that were me, I would be in a Ram or a Ford. The Titan was a leap for my taste, but the opportunity presented and it became quite the deal for me. I am enjoying the ride.
yea, I can dig what you are saying .. the whole big arsed grill, intimidation, in your face, throw down thing is a bit over done ..that is one reason I chose a titan.. a bit more conservative in those areas perhaps ...I can get my head around the pearlescent white with the smoked trim.. I just hate to see that beautiful paint waisted..good luck !!xxx

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow MindTrip! That is a completely different look. It doesn't look bad at all, but different. How many costs did you apply? Given another opportunity, would you have went lighter? Keep it up. I would love to see your finished product, with the letters filled in.

·
90 Posts
Wow MindTrip! That is a completely different look. It doesn't look bad at all, but different. How many costs did you apply? Given another opportunity, would you have went lighter? Keep it up. I would love to see your finished product, with the letters filled in.
I did 3 coats on the mirror cap and 4 on the billboard. The reason for 4 is because it looked uneven under good lighting. The darker parts tie my gloss black wheels in much better than stock chrome. Given another opportunity, I would've went with black base and deep clear coat instead of rattle can.

·
90 Posts
Alright brother! It's been 6 months now. How is that Duplicolor holding up?
Eh. It's okay. Light scratches show up, but I expected that from a rattle can. The plan is to get the mirror caps and grille body color matched and have the billboard coated in high quality auto grade gloss black. The dark chrome from duplicolor isn't a viable long term solution. Not for a picky person.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts