Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
371 Posts
millennials !! xxx
I'm a hardcore Gen X'er and I can't stand chrome either, absolutely can't stand it. Just all personal preference. I think Chrome was in for the Baby Boomers and went out with Gen X. Millennials are a different breed for sure. But the dislike of chrome came before them, just to be fair.

·
492 Posts
I don't like that there are two shades of chrome on my truck... I like the darker finish of the wheels but not the standard mirrored chrome everywhere else. For the TT, they should have gone the little extra mile to make all of the chrome finish on the truck the same, darker color. I am not a fan of the mirrored chrome finish at all... too 1950s for me.

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Could not agree more

I'm a hardcore Gen X'er and I can't stand chrome either, absolutely can't stand it. Just all personal preference. I think Chrome was in for the Baby Boomers and went out with Gen X. Millennials are a different breed for sure. But the dislike of chrome came before them, just to be fair.
Yup, I feel the same! I really do not care for all this chrome and I wonder why so many manufacturers have been using it and offering painted grilles as a sport and midnight package.

I think that it is believed to be perceived that the chrome is a way to reference quality. I find it interesting that one of the first mods that people perform is the removal of chrome.

I am still deciding what to do with mine, as I am not a painter and truly feel that whatever I get done will most likely be permanent. That is why I would love to see some other options.

·
22 Posts
Used plastiDip on my Chrome ( ya ya ya, say what you will) but I think it turned out good. I wasn’t going to do it but the black on the white really stands out.
Here’s something else you can debate about, I’m going to paint the lower quarters and fender flairs and bumpers with Upol Raptor Liner in the next couple weeks, I’ve got it tinted Nissan Gun Metallic to give me a 2-tone scheme.

Attachments

·
46 Posts
I have the Gunmetal Midnight Edition, but the Nissan badge is chromed on mine. Did yours come blacked out?

So that's interesting. I was told that SL had the chrome emblem and the SV had the blacked out. Well in search for my new 2018 midnight edition I found a gun metal SL with black emblems. Mine (2018 SL) came with chrome and I'm buying the blacked out ones from nissan. I'm sorry but a midnight edition should have everything blacked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
46 Posts
Used plastiDip on my Chrome ( ya ya ya, say what you will) but I think it turned out good. I wasn’t going to do it but the black on the white really stands out.
Here’s something else you can debate about, I’m going to paint the lower quarters and fender flairs and bumpers with Upol Raptor Liner in the next couple weeks, I’ve got it tinted Nissan Gun Metallic to give me a 2-tone scheme.

You did a great job.
I was considering a white midnight edition as well. I also liked the gun metal. But my wife preferred the black midnight edition locally in WI better. Honestly all midnight editions look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
22 Posts
Mines not a midnight edition, just a straight XD Pro4x, I just blacked out the badging so it stands out more.
I’m doing the 2 tone Gun Metallic paint myself, hopefully this weekend. I’ll post some pics once complete.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
warning contrary opinion

I have recently acquired a Pearl white PR and love evrything about it, except all of the chrome. I am looking to either black it out or smoke it. I was curiouse if anyone had done this and their results. Looking for some pics.
All nice trucks still enjoy seeing some well done blackouts.
If I had white I would find just the right tone of a dusty bronze and leave a little chrome to break it up.
My XD now has darker grey metallic factory wheels I will soon open the headlights to add an hid projector and match the wheel color. (Dupli-color spray can)
For now I think for now the door handles, Cummins badges, grill framework and bumpers will remain chrome.

I also think the blacked out look is sometimes overdone. When you see blacked out mini vans from the factory time might be up.
I attached a photo of my 2015 ram, I liked the contrast and the subtle look you did not see everywhere. The bronze wheels were originally black, bronzed with a spray can)

·
308 Posts
I agree with you guys to a point about the chrome being a bit much on the PR. I changed out the chrome grill on mine and had a new grill body paint matched like the Pro4X grill. I was going to have the PR chrome rear tailgate finisher removed but I was told at my body shop that it would leave a bunch of holes in the tailgate and that filling them with spot welds might make it warp. Other than that I think the chrome trim rings, mirrors, and door handles look great. I might try to find a tailgate from a non PR truck and have it painted. I personally don't think painting or wrapping the tailgate badge looks as good as not having one at all. Its just something I wish they hadn't of put on the truck in the first place.

·
116 Posts
I didn't black out my Pearl Pro4x but I did do some color matching to get rid of the chrome. All that is left is the Cummins logo which I think I'll leave and the headlights that I can't afford to swap at this time. LOL

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
once you go black...

Upgrades are not always that.
I posted earlier about black outs being overdone, I was a little forced by lack of choice but I was wrong.
I installed Bronze wheels on my truck 18"x 9" et12 so they stuck out 1 3/4" more than stock, the drive quality was less than stock and the wheel screamed for attention.
The only wheel I could find that had exactly the right dimensions with a stout weight rating of 3,300 lbs each was the Black Rhino Havasu.
18"x 8" et35 with 275/65/R18 tires (stock pro 4x) they fit in the fender just right with no flare required and drove better than stock.

My truck is a 2017 5.0 gun metallic 4x4 with reinforced drop shackles to drop and level the rear.

Attachments

·
886 Posts
Yeah man I love my chrome... I just dont understand why people hate it so much. I guess I'm just old school.

I suppose, just like a motorcycle's chrome rims and spokes, getting and preserving a chrome's shine is a pain in the arse to them.

All one has to do with blk is wash and rinse and it can't get simpler than that. Laziness in some areas abounds with the new generation. :sad:

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
3,000 miles apart

Chrome blk, or smoke chrome has some class to it whereas just blk is more so a redneck rough off road appearance.
LOL! In my hood where most of my neighbors are attorneys, doctors or in finance all the 6 figure cars have black rims, no chrome here.
My thoughts were to get the matt black wheels and refinish to a darker bronze or gun metal but I honestly like the black.
1st time in my life i have had black wheels. Here is my 1st try and I loved it but the offset and width drove like crap.

Treecowboy,
My truck came with 17" steel wheels. I bought pro 4x take-offs with almost no miles 1" taller but drove better in every way.
The level 8 wheels were 18" x 9" et 12 and rated for 2,500 lbs. I put on the 275/65/R18's from the pro 4x wheels 18" x 7.5" et 41. You felt every bump, the steering did not feel as precise and it felt like a bigger heavier and more clumsy truck to drive and I was going to have to cut my front fenders for clearance and add flares.
The Black Rhino Havasu wheels are 18"x 8" et 35 rated for 3,300 lbs now it rides and handles more nimbly than the pro 4x wheels and no trimming or flares.

Attachments

·
1,324 Posts
Chrome blk, or smoke chrome has some class to it whereas just blk is more so a redneck rough off road appearance.
LOL! In my hood where most of my neighbors are attorneys, doctors or in finance all the 6 figure cars have black rims, no chrome here.
My thoughts were to get the matt black wheels and refinish to a darker bronze or gun metal but I honestly like the black.
1st time in my life i have had black wheels. Here is my 1st try and I loved it but the offset and width drove like crap.
Elaborate on off set and width drove like crap? Bout to buy bantams which are pretty much identical

·
886 Posts

Never have been part of caring what the affluent are doing, unless I'm going to make some cash off them. Many professionals are amusing to the average guy. They are funny enough by lacking originality and good taste. Instead they pay for others to piece it together for them and are good with it. However, to each their own.

Show some pic's of your finished rims if you decide on doing what you mentioned. Doesn't sound cheap, and might look great if everything blends together well.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Never have been part of caring what the affluent are doing, unless I'm going to make some cash off them. Many professionals are amusing to the average guy. They are funny enough by lacking originality and good taste. Instead they pay for others to piece it together for them and are good with it. However, to each their own, was responding to open minded NavFlyer's question.
Show some pic's of your finished rims if you decide on doing what you mentioned. Doesn't sound cheap, and might look great if everything blends together well.
All true.
Originality and vision take effort and I am fascinated by subtleties.
I am guilty of overthinking most things. One day I noticed satin black absorbs and reflects color.
So if you are parked next to green grass they are warmed by green, from a distance sometimes warm red.
Strange what you see sometimes. I'm sticking with satin black for now.

These wheels started as black and I used a thin film of spray paint on just the front to fade from bronze to black.
It was a very nice look on my black metallic truck.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 41 Posts