Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan has announced that the 2016 Titan will be offered with a petrol engine.

The petrol-powered variant is set to go on sale next spring and will arrive several months after the diesel-powered Titan XD.

We still don't have specifications, but Nissan hinted that the Titan will be offered with a total of three different powertrains. That likely means that there will be two petrol engines along with the previously announced and promoted 5.0-liter Cummins turbodiesel V8 that develops 310 bhp and 555 lb-ft of torque.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/115081897922/nissan-titan-to-be-offered-with-a-petrol-engine-in

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
You know what would be a laugh, or down right fantastic... if the third engine choice was the 2.8L Cummins in the non-XD!

·
214 Posts
You know what would be a laugh, or down right fantastic... if the third engine choice was the 2.8L Cummins in the non-XD!
Way too big of a truck for a way too small of an engine... But you never know... Could be a way to better the overall EPA numbers... Ford did put a 2.7L EB in a F150...

·
665 Posts
The 2.8L was originally tested in a Titan.

Also, for the non-XD truck, 400ft.lbs is more than enough grunt. It would make the perfect fleet beater.

·
214 Posts
You're right, I just looked up the specs and 385ft.lbs is more than adequate.

In fact, that's what I would buy if they sold that configuration by May 2016...

·
235 Posts
In Auto News thinks that the 4-liter DOHC 24-valve unit from the Frontier could be an option too. Not sure if 261 horsepower and 281 lb-ft will be enough.

·
340 Posts
Ok so wait... Will Nissan offer a gas option on the XD?

Are the Titan and the Titan XD 2 different trucks (physically sized different not just trim)

·
658 Posts

Are the Titan and the Titan XD 2 different trucks (physically sized different not just trim)
From my understanding, based on what I have read, I am under the impression that there will be the Titan XD with the 5.0 Cummins diesel that also includes a High strength frame (cummins + high strenght frame = Xtra Duty). Later, they will release a non-XD version with a gasser V8 and most likely V6 motor. I assumed the bodys would be the same but the frames and motors would be different, I also assumed the Cummins would be the only option in "XD" trim... I guess we'll see!

·
28 Posts

I could be wrong, but I think the Titan XD will eventually offer both a V8 diesel and V8 gas. While the the regular Titan base engine will be a V6 gas and have a V8 gas option.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the true test of the Titan is how the petrol version will compare with the competition. Not sure what Nissan's plan is on that front.

·
857 Posts
At least if they end up going with the v6 it's seemingly going to be one that's large enough in displacement, 4L range is right up there.

·
665 Posts
The 2.8 Cummins is currently going to go in the Frontier, putting it in the XD would just be dumb.
Way to pay attention.

The XD is the heavy duty Titan. There will be a "Titan" that is not as heavy duty and will follow the XD. That lighter duty Titan could do very well with the 2.8L Cummins.

Edit to add:

Think of it this way, Nissan can beat the ecodiesel 1500 by having both the 5.0L ISV in the XD for more power and towing capacity, and have superior fuel efficiency in the non-XD with the 2.8L.

·
857 Posts
Way to pay attention.

The XD is the heavy duty Titan. There will be a "Titan" that is not as heavy duty and will follow the XD. That lighter duty Titan could do very well with the 2.8L Cummins.

Edit to add:

Think of it this way, Nissan can beat the ecodiesel 1500 by having both the 5.0L ISV in the XD for more power and towing capacity, and have superior fuel efficiency in the non-XD with the 2.8L.
And they might even be able to beat them on price, at the very least to the extent that they end up looking better on paper, just not sure right now how aggressive they're willing to go .

·
235 Posts
If the petrol titan is coming in next year around spring time, I may just wait a bit to take both of them for a drive and compare them in person.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well they can beat them on price, but I think they won't try to do it by much because they want to compete directly and not be seen as a cheaper alternative.

·
23 Posts
Ram trucks are cheaper by thousands across the entire range, at least according to my research last couple years. If the rumors of near 60k for top trim are true, and Nissan doesn't budge from MSRP I'm out. Any large Ram dealer will internet sell you at 15% off MSRP, many at 20% off all trim lines.

I haven't had or looked at a Nissan since my very first pick-up in 1989. Not sure how much off msrp they normally go on a good deal, but I'm hoping it's a bit on the XD. I realize the XD is brand new, but they could still make it a fair price compared to the big 3. Here's to hoping it is an amazing truck, and still in a decent range for cost.

Rick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts