Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
173 Posts
UPDATED: 10/8/19

Automatic temperature control

I am also worried that there would be loss of the automatic in-cabin temperature control.
I am currently waiting a response from Phoenix support to see if this feature is engaged from elsewhere in the truck.

This was confirmed by an end user that this feature works.

USB & Aux ports

USB port on the console can be hooked up using a mini usb adapter (which is provided), there is also an additional USB port labeled OTG that can be routed to the glove box.
AUX port: no retention or solution as of yet. WORK AROUND - I am purchasing an RCA to Female audio jack and I will see if I can mount that in place using a hot glue gun (so its not a permanent modification). Will post pictures once I get the cable in the mail.
I ordered an RCA-2 to 3.5mm female audio cable, hooked it up to the left over RCA red & white lines from the harness and ran it down behind the console with the DC port. I tested it out and it worked on SOURCE: AUX.

Figure 1

With a little bit of work I was able to remove the outside frame from the housing for the USB / AUX audio port. There are four clips (two on each side, refer to figure 3) that need to be lifted with a small flat head or razor and then you can gently tug on the frame and it will slide off the USB port housing and AUX audio chip.

Figure 2

I applied a little bit of gorilla glue and silicon to hold the 3.5mm female audio port in place. This will allow you to reverse the changes if you decide to revert back to factory.

Figure 3

Figure 4

·
173 Posts
UPDATED: 10/8/19

Miscellaneous
There seems to be additional RCA (red,white,yellow) plugs on the harness.

I'm toying with the idea of getting an RCA to HDMI AV converter and a USB splitter (to power the tiny converter box) so I can hook up a Retropie box to the screen; will report back on this.

I plugged in one of the additional harnesses that have the RCA-2 and two video inputs into my RCA-3 to HDMI AV converter box and I was able to get my Retropie box to work via HDMI on SOURCE: DVR

I purchased the converter box, 3" HDMI cable and 3" RCA-3 cables from Amazon.

You MUST use Video 2. For some reason Video 1 plug did not work.

You will most likely some form of USB Y splitter for additional USB ports. In order to retain the additional USB ports that route to the glove compartment, the location of the factory USB plug by the DC port and an additional USB port to power the converter box. I purchased a USB Y splitter 1 male to 4 female cable from Amazon.

After hooking up the USB Y splitter to the USB adapter for the Phoenix unit I used electrical tape to secure the connections so they would not easily pop out from vibrations or someone accidentally tugging on it too hard.

After I did a quick test to ensure everything was working I used zip ties and cleaned up all the cables and used 3M double sized tape to mount the converter box in the back wall of the dash.

Here is a quick video of my Retropie launching

·
173 Posts
Haven't heard anyone say anything about sound quality or possible time correction with this unit...
The sound quality has improved and is significantly louder (some people don't like it so they use the "audio fade" option on). The equalizer definitely helps in the sound quality department over the bass/mid/treble settings on the factory P4X stereo.

Regardless I'm still going to replace all my door speakers and the center dash one with higher quality RF speakers. Maybe a RF signal processor as well.

·
2 Posts
The sound quality has improved and is significantly louder (some people don't like it so they use the "audio fade" option on). The equalizer definitely helps in the sound quality department over the bass/mid/treble settings on the factory P4X stereo.

Regardless I'm still going to replace all my door speakers and the center dash one with higher quality RF speakers. Maybe a RF signal processor as well.
Thanks for the response...I have the SL truck with the RF set up my previous truck I was using all CDT audio and will most likely switch to those again and definitely that overly loud center speaker ...going to replace it with a 4ohm to help tone it down a bit

·
39 Posts
Hey all,

I installed my Phoenix automotive system a few days ago - so far, really love it... but today was the first sunny day since the install, and when I put my polarized sunglasses on, the screen was pretty much unreadable. Sunglasses off, no problem, put them on, and it goes practically blank on me. I've had this happen with tablets before, and I found a great screensaver from NuShield (DayVue film) that overcame this, but they don't appear to make one for this unit yet.

Has anyone else experienced this? And I am wondering, that screen protector that I thought was for shipping protection... yeah, i removed and discarded that. Was that supposed to stay on? lol!

Thanks!

Tom

·
39 Posts
I sent NuShield the dimensions and they are checking if they have something that'll fit. This morning I just used some non polarized sunglasses and no issues whatsoever, so it's a pretty minor issue to overcome. But if they do have a film that'll fit, they are only about $30, and would offer some nice protection and the ability to use polarized sunglasses as well. Will let you know what they come back with.

·
39 Posts
One other thing that I thought was really cool and I haven't seen it mentioned yet... with the rear view camera. I have an SL and the stock cam has the lines, but they are not predictive, they are just fixed and don't move when you turn the wheel. Now, with this new unit, I turned the lines on, and low and behold, they are predictive lines now and bend when you turn! Not sure why they didn't do that with the stock system, since obviously it's getting the signal/data. :)

Anyways, just a neat little extra that I wasn't expecting.

·
66 Posts
I had this unit in my 2018 F150 and had the exact same issue. It was one reason I returned the unit eventually.
My point is, they use this same screen on all of the same sized units... they all have this issue.

Hey all,

I installed my Phoenix automotive system a few days ago - so far, really love it... but today was the first sunny day since the install, and when I put my polarized sunglasses on, the screen was pretty much unreadable. Sunglasses off, no problem, put them on, and it goes practically blank on me. I've had this happen with tablets before, and I found a great screensaver from NuShield (DayVue film) that overcame this, but they don't appear to make one for this unit yet.

Has anyone else experienced this? And I am wondering, that screen protector that I thought was for shipping protection... yeah, i removed and discarded that. Was that supposed to stay on? lol!

Thanks!

Tom

·
173 Posts
I purchased a laptop screen protector for the unit (that should fix the polarizing effect). I'm going to take measurements today and Monday I'm gonna use my heavy duty slicer to get a nice even cut on it.

I'll report back with results.

·
273 Posts
I sent NuShield the dimensions and they are checking if they have something that'll fit. This morning I just used some non polarized sunglasses and no issues whatsoever, so it's a pretty minor issue to overcome. But if they do have a film that'll fit, they are only about $30, and would offer some nice protection and the ability to use polarized sunglasses as well. Will let you know what they come back with.
What brand of sun glasses are they? I know some polarized glasses are at a different angle than others. Although my favorite, Maui Jim, are all aligned the same from all the models I have owned.

·
39 Posts
What brand of sun glasses are they? I know some polarized glasses are at a different angle than others. Although my favorite, Maui Jim, are all aligned the same from all the models I have owned.
Oakley's... but I found a very simple solution for now - Amazon has replacement lenses by Revant that come in non polarized. For $26, this is my current work around, and I actually like the lenses better than the originals. Still have the polarized ones though, and they are easy to change back in case I decide on a screen saver solution. Never heard back from NuShield.

·
173 Posts
I used the Forito 15.6" laptop anti-glare (matte) screen protector from Amazon and it worked like a charm.

$11.89 for a two pack and free shipping with Prime.

No more sun glare and my polarized Oakley's work fine now.

I used a sheet cutter to cut it to exact size.

Attachments

·
Banned
356 Posts
I used the Forito 15.6" laptop anti-glare (matte) screen protector from Amazon and it worked like a charm.

$11.89 for a two pack and free shipping with Prime.

No more sun glare and my polarized Oakley's work fine now.

I used a sheet cutter to cut it to exact size.
Thanks, just ordered one.

·
487 Posts
I like that. About had it with the stock radio. About ready to pull the trigger. I spend a fair amount of time behind the wheel in traffic and do enjoy the xm radio.
Thanks.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts