Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My name is John. I really want a Titan Diesel XD but apparently now is not my time. I own a nice house but my current vehicles are a 96 Chevy S-10 and a 97 Dodge Gas Ram. I'm a 420 type of guy; I don't mean I smoke weed; that's my credit score :-(

·
492 Posts
John,
How can I pity a guy with a sense of humor like yours.
Just keep working on that credit score, and before long, you can spend all of your hard earned money on a Titan. Maybe by then, they will have all of the little bugs worked out.

·
88 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, mine isn't great either. I got a $500 secured credit card a little over a year ago to help me get my credit up from about a 590 average. Kind of forgot about it the last 6 months and left a $487 balance on it with the minimum payments auto drafted from my bank. Checked my credit and it averaged about a 450 and I was like WTF! The only red mark was my 97% usage of my credit available. So I paid it down to $10 right away. I expected it to creep back up over time.

Passed by a nissan dealer when I finally had a day off work just to check out the new titan, with absolutely no intention of buying one. The guy wanted to run my credit to see what they could do, and I told him I just checked it a month ago and it was awful. But I let him so I could see what my score got up to. He came back with an offer and I was like NO WAY! My score literally jumped 150 points in a month. My lowest was 590 and highest was 648. Still not the greatest, and I ended up with 9% interest. I was kind of blinded by the fact that I could go home with it to really think straight, and after two months, I actually refinanced it today with my credit union at 4%. Wasted a couple thousand in loan fees and gap insurance by not checking with them first, but my payment went down $15 a month, but the big thing is it went from a 6 year to a 5 year loan, AND the cheaper payment.

I did originally put $3000 down and got $5500 for my 04 Titan, and probably the only reason I got approved in the first place is because my pay stubs for the past 6 months puts me at a $180k/year average, so that kind of trumped my credit score. But I guess the important thing to get out of this is that a secured credit card is the way to go to build credit, but you have to use it right. Avoid using more than 25-30% of your available credit and pay it down to about $10 or so every month. I've heard you shouldn't pay it down to zero if you want to maximize your credit score, so I always leave a few bucks on there now. But get it sooner than later because the length of time you have the account makes a difference in your score too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts