Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

Please tell me it gets better!

30K views 72 replies 41 participants last post by  FlawleZ 
#1 ·
I have a 5.6L with ~800 miles now. Last tank I ran 277 miles before the fuel light came on and mpg showed 13.6 on the computer but hand calculated at 12.7. This was about 30% highway 70% city. Driving very conservatively, never got above 70 mph and 2000 rpm. This same mix of driving would net 15 mpg in my 2015 Titan. Please tell me it gets better than this.

#8 ·
Actually I did look. Severel people reported around 16 highway, which I am not getting anywhere close. With the cruse set at 68 in the XD best I have seen was 14 mpg, my 2015 would get 16.5 set at 68 on the same road. My XD only weighs 840 lbs more than my 2015. I figured that since the engine has better HP and torque it would get at least close to the same.

#10 ·
The 5.6 XD loves the city, she'll drink like a fish through it :)

Any mods done to it (Lift, Tire swap, etc.) ? If so, that can explain a hit. If you don't have a bed cover, look into one. Also, it still on stock tires, what PSI are you running? 70 is about right and the best all around from me playing w/ mine.

Before swapping into a Diesel, I was getting 11-13 city and 16 Hwy. When I first got it, I would see 17hwy w/ the right wind and that was around 60-65mph. Once I added my RC leveling kit and upgraded to 275/70 Toyo MT's, that dropped to around 15.

#12 ·
Everything I can find says you're approximately 1000 lbs heavier, maybe a little more. Anyway, if you were able to average 15 in a first gen Titan, I'd say that was the exception. I don't remember my first gen Titan really ever getting that, even HWY. We just did 2400 miles over Xmas in our 2010 QX56, almost all HWY and averaged under 15.

#18 ·
I weighed both of mine on a CAT scale with everything equal as far as same gear in both trucks and only me and a full tank of fuel. My 2015 CC 4x4 SV came in at 6040 lbs and my 2017 XD 4x4 SV came in at 6880 lbs.

The 5.6 XD loves the city, she'll drink like a fish through it :)

Any mods done to it (Lift, Tire swap, etc.) ? If so, that can explain a hit. If you don't have a bed cover, look into one. Also, it still on stock tires, what PSI are you running? 70 is about right and the best all around from me playing w/ mine.

Before swapping into a Diesel, I was getting 11-13 city and 16 Hwy. When I first got it, I would see 17hwy w/ the right wind and that was around 60-65mph. Once I added my RC leveling kit and upgraded to 275/70 Toyo MT's, that dropped to around 15.
No it is bone stock, just the way it came off the line.

Don't get me wrong I love this truck and wouldn't trade back to the 15, I was just hoping it would get at least as good mpg as my other one. I know there isn't a lot of difference between say 13 and 16 mpg but added up over a long trip or even the lifetime of the truck it can make a difference.

#15 ·
Wow, you guys' MPG is low! I have my 05 Titan LE still, it's getting ready to turn 400k miles and still averages 16 mpg on the highway, every day. In the summer it's a little higher, (around 17 mpg). I don't drive slow, or even close to it. I broke it in between 80-90 mph on the highway, and I think that's it's "sweet spot".
I have hesitated to go with the new diesel, until some of the bugs are worked out. My current truck has been SO GOOD, I don't know if I'll ever be so lucky again. I have never changed anything under the hood, outside of the spark plugs and belt. Still has original everything!

#17 ·
I lay into the truck quite a bit... floor it more than I should and my numbers are pretty close to yours. Might check the PSI like other have said, although I doubt it will produce the results you were expecting. I run max PSI on rear and around 70-75 on front. I have the pro 4x, so I don't have that air dam on the front either. Not sure what model you have...

#20 ·
It gets better.

...as requested.

#27 ·
No sir, it's a 2005 King cab 4x4. I think I got the best Titan ever built! Still has original alternator, starter, water pump, power steering pump, thermostat, ac compressor, etc etc etc. Never done a coil pack, never done ANYTHING to the transmission, nothing to the running gear, other than rear axle seals. I've replaced ball joints, one tie rod end, and that's it!

It's the main reason I haven't jumped into a Titan XD yet. I've been waiting for something major to happen to this one, and it keeps on trucking at 395,386 miles! Although......my neighbor keeps telling me, it's living on borrowed time! :grin2:

#35 ·
That's probably pretty accurate.

Sorry OP, I didn't mean to come off as such a Richard. To be fair, TFL got 17 MPG highway. That is pretty good. Maybe switch to synthetic after the next oil change?
No worries, I understand it's pretty easy to be misunderstood through a forum post. And as I said before you did bring up a few points I had not thought of. I will research the synthetic oil thing. 15 mpg would tickle me.

#36 ·
I just hit 3,659 miles in my 2017 5.6L Pro-4X (bone stock). Doing very well, have been camping with my TT, and kicking off the year working.

My truck is 1.5 months old. I do not do any trips less than 6 miles (I live out in the country) and get everything done while the engine and transmission are warm. Usually have at least 200 pounds of job stuff in there.

When I do drive it is usually for over an hour (I drive about 50-55k per year) and my company pays mileage (I'm greedy and drive it knowing that every penny saved goes into my pocket).

That being said I don't baby it either. The engine really opened up after my first extended haul (500 miles of 9k lb TT).

Short trips, extended idling and traffic are killers to this platform.

I only run regular top-tier gas.

Lie-ometer and hand-calculated MPG are within +-1-2% so far.

Keep hope alive, I hope it gets better for you.

Attachments

#43 ·
I'm getting 15.2 in mixed driving right now per the computer. I think the best I show on my computer is 18.4. 13.5 is probably about right if your city driving is not very mixed.

2016 Diesel Titan XD PR 4x4 - Java, bone stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.