Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

i am/was the proud owner of a 2018 Titan XD Texas edition(43k miles) - a bad alternator took it out unfortunately. It’s still under warranty, good news. Bad news is they’re saying 6 months at best to get the alternator in. This is leaving me on the hook for a rental so my wife can get to work in the mean time (1.4K a month - Nissan won’t cover for a rental and dealership doesn’t have a loaner - thankfully I telecommute so this doesnt pinch me professionally) ontop of the car note.

consumer affairs said they’d submit for a buy back - considering I don’t meet protection for lemon laws here in Texas (from my understanding based on mileage/age - despite it being under full warranty still) - I fully expect Nissan to tell me to go pound sand. My question is in this situation am I being too pessimistic? Is there a chance since this is under warranty they’ll concede on the buy back on the first try? Or should I be ready to go through arbitration and mediation though BBB and possibly beyond? If this is the likely scenario, do I have any standing here? Should I just bite the pillow and accept I’m in a bad situation here and solider through?

·
357 Posts
Before you do that, why not jump on EBay and drop a couple hundred bucks on one? There are several listed (a cursory look showed used, refurbed, and even new) , and while it would stink to pay for something under warranty, I'd much prefer that option, myself.

Alternately, you could always see what the dealer'd give you on trade-in.

·
6 Posts
Yes I owe 2k on my 2016 Titan diesel. Tired of the issues. Going to see how much they will give me tommorow. I only gonna take cash. No trade in.
Wanna do it before a new issue crops up.

·
3 Posts
Have you tried a different dealer? Pull up the part online and call Nissan corporate. I sourced multiple places that could have an oem alternator delivered by the end of the week. They're lying about parts availability. I don't know if that's covered by your warranty but I doubt that's justification for a lemon law or buy back situation. Easier and cheaper for you to order it yourself and pay someone else (even if it's a Nissan dealership that told you they couldn't find one) to do the work than pay for a rental car long term.

·
3 Posts
Have you tried a different dealer? Pull up the part online and call Nissan corporate. I sourced multiple places that could have an oem alternator delivered by the end of the week. They're lying about parts availability. I don't know if that's covered by your warranty but I doubt that's justification for a lemon law or buy back situation. Easier and cheaper for you to order it yourself and pay someone else (even if it's a Nissan dealership that told you they couldn't find one) to do the work than pay for a rental car long term.

·
3 Posts

·
6 Posts
Yes my truck was in the shop and wife hit a deer. We tried to get a rental. And they are out of rental cars. Was frustrating. Unfortunately had to use mother in law car. 😬
So looks like this shortage is hitting other markets.
Granted I don't live near a super large area.

·
6 Posts
Lemon law in Washington state says that if your vehicle is in the shop for any reason other than maintenance for 30 cumulative days you are eligible for lemon law buy back. That’s just one of the way to qualify for lemon law here. Ask me how I know all this ;)

Not sure how it works in Texas, but I’d imagine it’s not much different.

·
1 Posts
Before you do that, why not jump on EBay and drop a couple hundred bucks on one? There are several listed (a cursory look showed used, refurbed, and even new) , and while it would stink to pay for something under warranty, I'd much prefer that option, myself.

Alternately, you could always see what the dealer'd give you on trade-in.
Per the dealerships I’ve talked to, if your rig is under warranty, and you buy a used part to fix a warranty issue then you void the warranty. Plenty of totaled XDs to pick from though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts