Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Nissan Titan XD diesel S model. Was in town and about 580 miles on the truck the mpg dropped a ton from about 17mpg to around 6-7mpg. It stayed like that for about 10 miles or so then went back to what I was averaging before. I was getting a smell of diesel inside the truck, but had the window slightly open each time I noticed. Checked the level of the def and no change in the level. No lights or warning on dash came on saying that a regen was in progress. Could this be a S model thing to where no warnings pop up saying a regen is going on? And if a regen was going on shouldn't the def drop in level?

·
1,643 Posts
yes it was a regen, no model titan tells you when, and def is not for regens, extra fuel is dumped in to burn out the dpf that's why your fuel mileage drops and you get the smell

·
214 Posts
You experienced a regen. There is no indication other then the lousy mpg. The def gauge is pretty much useless. It will show full until the very last minute. You have to check it every so often to make sure you don't run out...

·
430 Posts
my best advice is when that happens

1. switch the AC fan to recirc mode

2. find your nearest highway or drive it like you stole it.( doesn't make a difference since MPGs are already so low during regen)

·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only time I noticed a smell was when I had the window slightly rolled down. I'm a smoker and yes was smoking in the new truck, hence why I crack the window from time to time.

·
1,408 Posts
That's exactly how the guage works on mine. Once it shows movement it's gradual for several hundred miles . I've never had my light come on...always have plenty of time to get it filled.

Also I agree with the drive the piss out of it during regen. Seems to help.

·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I noticed it I did leave town and hit the Interstate, but I drove the speed limit of 75. LOL

·
207 Posts
As everyone has stated, opening it up ona straight run is the best thing to do to get it over quicker. However, if your needing your defrost (which defaults to fresh air) as many have stated, this will bring the smell inside. Solution...set your Fan mode to floor and defrost, which permits you to keep it/set it on Recirculated air.

·
84 Posts
As a mechanic that works on cummins with DPF and SCR I can confirm that DEF is dosed during regen, it serves two purposes, one to cool the exhaust and reduce the NoX during the regen process. When ever we have an SCR problem we have to do a static regen to confirm SCR repair and the urea can be smelled during the regen process.

·
190 Posts
As everyone has stated, opening it up ona straight run is the best thing to do to get it over quicker. However, if your needing your defrost (which defaults to fresh air) as many have stated, this will bring the smell inside. Solution...set your Fan mode to floor and defrost, which permits you to keep it/set it on Recirculated air.
Doing that is annoying in -28C and barely clears my windows if I have a hot coffee in there with me.

Hoping when flo pro does my truck they can pin point where its leaking. They wanted to build their 4in turbo back around the 16th or so when their fab4ricator is back. They were pretty surprised all our trucks do this.

·
207 Posts
Doing that is annoying in -28C and barely clears my windows if I have a hot coffee in there with me.

Hoping when flo pro does my truck they can pin point where its leaking. They wanted to build their 4in turbo back around the 16th or so when their fab4ricator is back. They were pretty surprised all our trucks do this.

Can understand that completely and luckily, that isn't the situation for everyone/majority so those steps may help some. Ahh...Flo Pro...nice choice and I'm anxious to see what all they unfold for these rigs.

·
8 Posts
I'm hoping they can figure out a way to prevent the smell from coming in the cab.. I'm hoping I'm not breathing in toxins to bad with mine always going in regan. I don't have a highway around to just hop on to so mine does a bunch of soft regans. Its going back to the dealer even though they tested once and it didn't do it for them but it wont when they make it go in regan mode. They cant drive in that going on manual. another customer now have the same issue at the dealership but they are saying its just the way it is and I have to deal with it. Ive seen a bunch of others on here having same issues. A $50,000 truck should be smart enough to have at least a switch to block vents. Ive got 3 kids and the wife lots of times riding in the truck with me and the windows are always fogged up seeing we cant have it on full defrost mode. the recirc mode splitting defrost and floor takes to much pressure away from the defrost vents. Really the point is that's a lot money spent to have to deal with crap like that when you got your family in the truck its cold, raining out and you have to have your windows down not only to see but so everyone can breath.

·
Banned
136 Posts
There is a very long video on youtube made by an engineer of the systems named Tony Salas, that explains why what Nissan does to fire up their Regens is wrong.. He is very detailed video is about an hour long..Not directed at Nissan, but it will give you and idea of what may be coming to your truck soon as far as possibilities for failures.. and that my friend is why Nissan dumped the Diesel line and their customers who bought the diesels and their diesel technicians, at least in my neck of the woods..

·
25 Posts
There is a very long video on youtube made by an engineer of the systems named Tony Salas, that explains why what Nissan does to fire up their Regens is wrong.. He is very detailed video is about an hour long..Not directed at Nissan, but it will give you and idea of what may be coming to your truck soon as far as possibilities for failures.. and that my friend is why Nissan dumped the Diesel line and their customers who bought the diesels and their diesel technicians, at least in my neck of the woods..
Nissan didn’t decide when it goes into regen, when your spot build up is up to 100% it turns on

·
398 Posts
I believe he got banned for repeatedly posting information that was proven false and that he knew was false.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts