Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Decided to join and talk to some real Titan XD owners before I purchase one in the next couple months.

I currently drive a 2004 DuraBurb and it’s a fun and tough truck, but I’m looking to get into something newer. I’ve always liked the Titan and I just test drove 2 Titan XD Diesels. One Silver 2016 SL with 68k miles on it and the other a charcoal grey two tone 2017 Platinum Reserve with 112k.

I drove the Silver one twice hoping they got the low fuel pressure warning ⚠ fixed. They didn’tSo I test drove the freshly traded in 2017 PR to see any differences and to see if the Titan is something I’m still interested in.

I am 99% sure I want one even after all the research I’ve done and read. It’s definitely an underdog and has its gripes for sure, but I’m a vehicle enthusiast and I’m not afraid of some issues popping up from time to time, but I don’t want to be under the hood or chassis more than I’m enjoying the truck, as I’m doing with the Suburban at this point.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to specifically a 2019 model year White Titan XD SL Midnight edition. White or Black but I’ve had numerous black vehicles and my Suburban is black and it’s tough keeping it clean. I’ve never had a White vehicle and I think they look really good.

-Tom

·
285 Posts
I've been waiting on Actuator valve for 3.5 months. In Houston, at a dealership that has quite a few diesel clients.
5.0 ISV line has been discontinued by Cummins (announced in Annual Report, dated August, 2019). Parts availability is not likely to improve.

I love my truck, but would not buy a current diesel again.

Just my $.02

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been waiting on Actuator valve for 3.5 months. In Houston, at a dealership that has quite a few diesel clients.
5.0 ISV line has been discontinued by Cummins (announced in Annual Report, dated August, 2019). Parts availability is not likely to improve.

I love my truck, but would not buy a current diesel again.

Just my $.02
Man….that sucks. I knew the 5.0L Cummins was discontinued in the Titans, but I guess I never thought about it that way with parts being pretty much obsolete as well.

·
411 Posts
Yes, they (Cummins) took a charge against earnings in 2019 and folded the tent. Cummins didn't sell but a relatively small number of the 5.0 ISV's to the school bus (Bluebird) and motor home markets. Tiffin motor homes was the only customer I know of and it just didn't sell. Neither did the Nissan either...in numbers big enough to justify continuation.

Keep in mind the 5.0 ISV for the bus/motorhome market had a conventional single turbine turbo and (marginally) fewer HP. The two turbine turbo on the XD is turning out to be problematic with respect to the actuator. Parts (certain ones) are starting to be a real problem. Yes, Nissan has to support it for x number of years, but the law says nothing about backorder wait times or pissing off customers.

Like Russr, I like my vehicle a lot, but if I were advising a friend, I'd say stay away from a used one unless you could find a low mileage one with a good deal. Right now, there are no good deals out there--everything is inflated. The value of used XD diesels should probably be lower than they are right now as a discontinued vehicle with an extinct powerplant, but I think they are artificially high due to the pressure on used car prices from the chip shortage and lack of production of enough new vehicle to satisfy demand.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate you both for your honest insight. This is why I love these forums. I’m honestly now looking at some 2020 and even 2021 Titan XD gas trucks. I’m in no rush to get out of my current daily and the stock and aftermarket support is plentiful. I’m just really wanting the creature comforts of a newer ride.

·
2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
839 Posts
I have to agree that with the diesel being discontinued, I wouldn't get into one right now. It would have to be way below market value to be worth it in my opinion. That's not to say I don't love my truck. I'm at 125k miles and I haven't needed major repairs, it still runs and drives like it did with 25k miles, probably better.

·
36 Posts
I bought mine over a month ago now. I was like u & read all the reviews ect. I pulled the pin regardless. I have a 2018 Pro4X with 23k miles on it now. Deleted & Tuned. Runs like a champ. I’m not sweating the part back log as I have buddies with domestics & had to wait for parts. I say if u like the Diesel, go for it! I also have another back up vehicle if I ever do get into a predicament where I break down & need to wait for parts. Any vehicle can have issues. My buddy just bought a 2020 6.2L Chev. Had 6k miles on it & top end of the motor went… So do your homework & do what’s rite for u. I live mine & have put about 3000 miles on so far. Mix of towing & not… love it!

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought mine over a month ago now. I was like u & read all the reviews ect. I pulled the pin regardless. I have a 2018 Pro4X with 23k miles on it now. Deleted & Tuned. Runs like a champ. I’m not sweating the part back log as I have buddies with domestics & had to wait for parts. I say if u like the Diesel, go for it! I also have another back up vehicle if I ever do get into a predicament where I break down & need to wait for parts. Any vehicle can have issues. My buddy just bought a 2020 6.2L Chev. Had 6k miles on it & top end of the motor went… So do your homework & do what’s rite for u. I live mine & have put about 3000 miles on so far. Mix of towing & not… love it!
Thanks so much for your input! Like you, I just want to say screw it and get a clean low mileage Diesel Titan anyway, Lol!

A part of me says this “shortage” that our economy is facing right now won’t last forever. The other part of me is saying, heed the advice of others that are currently in the situation and either wait to buy, or look at different trucks.

I’m not hating on any other Brands here…but I don’t want a F-150, Ram, or GM half ton truck. You see them EVERYWHERE. They just don’t do it for me. The Titan is just different enough that I like it and you don’t see many, at least around where I’m at. I love the look of them and they deliver everything I need in a truck.

·
285 Posts
Thanks so much for your input! Like you, I just want to say screw it and get a clean low mileage Diesel Titan anyway, Lol!

A part of me says this “shortage” that our economy is facing right now won’t last forever. The other part of me is saying, heed the advice of others that are currently in the situation and either wait to buy, or look at different trucks.

I’m not hating on any other Brands here…but I don’t want a F-150, Ram, or GM half ton truck. You see them EVERYWHERE. They just don’t do it for me. The Titan is just different enough that I like it and you don’t see many, at least around where I’m at. I love the look of them and they deliver everything I need in a truck.
I hear ya... if I DO replace my '17 PR 5.0, it will be with the gasser version. I've had a Regular Titan as a loaner for a couple of months, and the 5.6 gasser is a LOT of fun to drive (which translates to lousy MPG, but at least I get a smile on my face!). If you're not going to be towing ALL the time, it should be a serious contender for you. I really love my XD diesel, but I hate the feeling of driving around in a mobile hand grenade. I got stranded on the highway (no "limp mode" warning, engine shut off (no shutdown warning)... can't have that when most the time I'm driving around with my 6-year old kid, and Houston temps were up at 98F!

Russ

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear ya... if I DO replace my '17 PR 5.0, it will be with the gasser version. I've had a Regular Titan as a loaner for a couple of months, and the 5.6 gasser is a LOT of fun to drive (which translates to lousy MPG, but at least I get a smile on my face!). If you're not going to be towing ALL the time, it should be a serious contender for you. I really love my XD diesel, but I hate the feeling of driving around in a mobile hand grenade. I got stranded on the highway (no "limp mode" warning, engine shut off (no shutdown warning)... can't have that when most the time I'm driving around with my 6-year old kid, and Houston temps were up at 98F!

Russ
Same here man, it’s a family/kid hauler, but will be my daily. Plans are to get a boat next year or another camper. So it will come in handy for the “ifs” of the future.

I figure if I have a warranty on it along with USAA roadside assistance, I’m covered?? Lol

This is a tough decision that I really don’t want to regret in a few months. I really WANT to love the XD Cummins, but a part of me is still hesitant. I feel there’s a split of love and hate for this truck.

·
32 Posts
Bought a 19 PR with 63K miles on it a couple of months ago, so far am enjoying it. have towed lightly at this point, mostly just driving it….. great truck and I love mine. It has a 3” lift which i have never owned a lifted truck before. i like sitting up high, but getting up and down……LOL…. I am 62 with a hip going bad so if I had a redo, i would probably wait on a standard suspenison truck. i guess it could put it back to stock height , and I may yet. I was up/down cold/hot on the diesel thing, finally just said F* it. I am only getting about 14 MPG unloaded, so not impressed with the mpg at all, but I didnt buy it for mpg in the first place. I read others claiming getting some considerably better economy that is my experience. and not sure how much the taller tires and the lift is affecting the mpg, but I am pretty sure it does. if i was commuting or driving hard miles all the time it would be a consieration but since neither applies- i can live with it. the previous Armada with a 5.6 L gasser I owned got consistently 14.5 mpg no matter how i drove it, so i am accustomed to poor mpg anyway…..

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely not worried about MPG’s! My DuraBurb gets 13-14 so I figure the new truck will be the same or better.

I’m really wanting to just say screw it and get one, but I have this haunting image of my wife just shaking her head at me if this decision comes back to bite me! Lol

·
55 Posts
I have 92k on my 18 midnight edition 5.0. It's been to the shop 3 times since new. All 3 times were emissions control issues. The first time they did the turbo actuator, it didn't fix the problem. Ended up in a week later for egr replacement. Those were 34-36k miles. The 3rd time was a def pump at 85k

Deleted I wouldn't worry. If your not willing to delete I'd steer clear.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have 92k on my 18 midnight edition 5.0. It's been to the shop 3 times since new. All 3 times were emissions control issues. The first time they did the turbo actuator, it didn't fix the problem. Ended up in a week later for egr replacement. Those were 34-36k miles. The 3rd time was a def pump at 85k

Deleted I wouldn't worry. If your not willing to delete I'd steer clear.
Appreciate your feedback. I would for sure delete and tune it, but that would void the warranty on it. So, I wouldn’t until the warranty was expired. Even with the warranty, it seems as if the constant trips to the dealer to get it fixed is a huge downfall and inconvenience. Man….such a bummer.

·
1,097 Posts
Appreciate your feedback. I would for sure delete and tune it, but that would void the warranty on it. So, I wouldn’t until the warranty was expired. Even with the warranty, it seems as if the constant trips to the dealer to get it fixed is a huge downfall and inconvenience. Man….such a bummer.
Its all up to your dealer. Tuning and deleting has not voided my warranty- I have had mine in for two relatively small items (coolant overflow tank, sweating rear diff gasket) and both were happily covered under warranty. Heck- the technician usually comes out to tell me how good it sounds and ask how much power it makes.

·
2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
839 Posts
Deleted doesn't void the warranty outright. I've had tons of warranty work done with the truck deleted. Obviously anything to do with the exhaust would not be covered. But they replaced gaskets, seals, etc all under warranty and even complimented my exhaust sound. And quite frankly, they were looking for an oil leak that I wouldn't have bothered bringing it in for, except I had a warranty, so why not? And also truck buying is kind of gambling at this point... They're all going for experimental motors, discontinuing old platforms, looking for more MPG, going for hybrids, etc. I do have my eye on that new 2022 GM with the 3.0l diesel, which is new and experimental but being redesigned in 22. Supposed to have similar specs to the titan XD, but the unloaded highway mpg will be in the 30s.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok, wow, cool. I did not know that! That’s good news I guess. I’ll have to ask my dealership.

So, is it fair to say that once the truck is deleted (EGR and DPF/DEF) and tuned properly it should avoid a lot of the issues these 5.0 Cummins have??

·
1,097 Posts
Ok, wow, cool. I did not know that! That’s good news I guess. I’ll have to ask my dealership.

So, is it fair to say that once the truck is deleted (EGR and DPF/DEF) and tuned properly it should avoid a lot of the issues these 5.0 Cummins have??
Yes- I absolutely agree with that.

I can prove that theory too, with all of my oil analysis that I have done on this truck. The patterns are all trending the proper way, as far as some of the levels were concerned, after the delete.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes- I absolutely agree with that.

I can prove that theory too, with all of my oil analysis that I have done on this truck. The patterns are all trending the proper way, as far as some of the levels were concerned, after the delete.
Nice! You restored my hope in this truck! Lol

Once I talk with my dealership on the warranty, I’ll make my decision soon.

Thank you guys for such awesome input! I’ll update when the time comes.

·
241 Posts
96k mile 17 XD Cummings ~ been deleted on a +125hp tune since 70k miles. No issues. 🤘🏻 Trucks badass man. I love it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts