Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry if this type of thread has been created before.

I drove two 2019 Titan XDs with the diesel V8 first time today. One was a Platinum reserve and the other was a pro4x. I honestly did not expect to like Titan. However, I ended up loving both the diesel and Titan! Before I move any further I was hoping current owners could provide some insight. I apologize for asking SO many questions - I know have a baby due in Jan of 2020 so I am trying to get this truck purchased before Xmas of 19.

This would be my first diesel. Just to note I will be replacing a 2018 RAM Rebel. Which has been an amazing truck. however, the air suspension is.....not my thing. I dont trust it.

1) What mpgs does 5.0l diesel get? (I drive 40 miles a day for a commute. mostly highway)
2) Is it hard to find dealers to service the diesel maintenance? (especially not that is discontinued)
3) Does a bed topper fit with the titan boxes? (carry a lot of gear for fishing and hunting all the time. with a baby on the way I would like to know I can still keep it in the truck.)
4) How often do you need to refill with DEF?
5) What outside temps merit the use of a block heater?
6) Does the XD with a 5.0l come with the heaviest duty engine cooling / trans / oil cooler options? I cannot tell if its like a gas ram or ford where you need packages on top of packages to get the highest tow rating.....not that I need but I intend to purchase a travel trailer in the next couple years.
7) Reliability? I know everyones experience differs. but how dependable has your XD 5.0 been?
8) how many times has the 100,000 miles warranty been needed?

·
274 Posts
1) I drive 100 miles a day with my 5.0 diesel. 80% highway, 20% in a small city with a trailer. I get about 15 MPG, but my highway speeds are 70+.
2) My local dealer services mine without issues.
3) If you are talking about a bed cover, then it is difficult to find one that will fit with the Titan boxes and the tie down rails. If you mean a camper shell then you can get brackets to mount into the tie down rails.
4) 1000 miles per gallon is what most people on here seem to average. It consumes much more if you are towing
5) I live in Utah and haven't needed to use a block heater, it gets down to 0F occasionally here but still haven't had any issues.
6) There are no packages to upgrade these items. The transmission cooler on these trucks works very well, some people have had to install an aftermarket thermostat on their transmissions to maintain operating temperature.
7) I've got 40k miles on mine without any issues(other than a improperly installed fuel filter). My brother has over 50k on his diesel and had to get his turbo replaced on his. The dealer did it quickly and without any problems.
8) Out of the 6 diesel Titans in my extended family, only one of them has needed warranty work. 2 incidents of had fuel filter problems, and one other one had a user error of DEF in fuel. Drained the tank and new filters on that truck and it runs fine.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Syndrome.

I am still figuring out if I would be better off going gas non XD vs a XD of either gas or diesel. I currently tow trailers that are no more that 4k lbs when loaded + a cab and bed loaded as much as possible (I would guess conbimed trailer and payload weight gets close to approx 6k lbs). So as of now I am not sure if the gas XD would handled that without working hard... However, like I stated before I plan to purchase a trailer weighing in around 7k lbs +. I am aware the XD Cummins doesn't really get a better tow rating than other properly optioned 1/2 tons - But but does handle weight better.....I tend to do long road trips for camping, hunting and fishing with bed/cab packed with 4 guys plus loaded coolers and gear. The XD platform is appealing primarily for this reason.

Currently my 2018 Ram Rebel does not have the space or size to carry 4 guys + gear unless we hookup a trailer.

For some reason I am hesitant to buy the diesel for two reasons..

1) I am new to the diesels (gelling....cold starts....emissions.....fuel cost) I have experience working with diesels but mostly poorly maintained fleet trucks.
2) cost of repairs / reliability

·
179 Posts
Sounds like the gas truck is the better fit for you. The gas truck has a higher payload. It gets 20% to 25% worse mileage, but it is a wash when it comes to fuel cost. It is also much quicker unloaded.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the gas truck is the better fit for you. The gas truck has a higher payload. It gets 20% to 25% worse mileage, but it is a wash when it comes to fuel cost. It is also much quicker unloaded.
Yeah after researching a while I am starting to lean towards a gas V8. still need to drive one. Is there a difference in gearing from the Titan vs the XD gas?

·
279 Posts
I have '18 Diesel with 15K miles. Mostly towing 7K TT across the country. It performs well and handles it like its not even there. I get about 11-12mpg towing, 19-21mpg highway and I barely drive city but its around 15mpg I would think. Downside, maintenance is more expensive but what do you expect for a heavier duty truck. Oil change every 10K is recommended but I opted to change every 5K as the oil gets dirty and thick (inspected visually). Fuel filter I changed 10K as recommended by Nissan. Also in addition, if you tow in mountain ranges, Diesel have big advantage both in climbing and descending grades, I drove Colorado rockies 7% grade (maybe 5% cant remember exactly) and barely hit brakes going downhill. engine braking kept the speed constant most of the time.

·
38 Posts
I am sorry if this type of thread has been created before.

I drove two 2019 Titan XDs with the diesel V8 first time today. One was a Platinum reserve and the other was a pro4x. I honestly did not expect to like Titan. However, I ended up loving both the diesel and Titan! Before I move any further I was hoping current owners could provide some insight. I apologize for asking SO many questions - I know have a baby due in Jan of 2020 so I am trying to get this truck purchased before Xmas of 19.

This would be my first diesel. Just to note I will be replacing a 2018 RAM Rebel. Which has been an amazing truck. however, the air suspension is.....not my thing. I dont trust it.

1) What mpgs does 5.0l diesel get? (I drive 40 miles a day for a commute. mostly highway)
2) Is it hard to find dealers to service the diesel maintenance? (especially not that is discontinued)
3) Does a bed topper fit with the titan boxes? (carry a lot of gear for fishing and hunting all the time. with a baby on the way I would like to know I can still keep it in the truck.)
4) How often do you need to refill with DEF?
5) What outside temps merit the use of a block heater?
6) Does the XD with a 5.0l come with the heaviest duty engine cooling / trans / oil cooler options? I cannot tell if its like a gas ram or ford where you need packages on top of packages to get the highest tow rating.....not that I need but I intend to purchase a travel trailer in the next couple years.
7) Reliability? I know everyones experience differs. but how dependable has your XD 5.0 been?
8) how many times has the 100,000 miles warranty been needed?
If you desire a quality 1/2 ton pick-up which has the best engine (Cummins), most beefed up frame, best ride and best (coolest) look go for the XD diesel. It may not tow as much as the 3/4's but beats all the 1/2's and is the most stable even compared to most of the 3/4's. The other 1/2 diesels use some belts where the Cummins uses gears/chains and only the Cummins is quality made in USA. Nissan is customer friendly unlike the big 3 and bends over backwards to keep you captive. Offroading will be dissapointing for all heavy crew-cabs but around town and highway is nirvana. You can expect 12-14 in heavy traffic, 15-17 around town and 22-24 on the highway. It is a huge vehicle that purrs like a kitten, is exempt from emission and mechanical inspection (NJ) and all other substandard pick-ups will be rubbernecking you wherever you go. Do not listen to the complainers about regens, throttle issues or tune/deletes, its all hogwash. If you change the oil/filters, use top notch fuel and follow the owners manual guidlines, you will have years of reliable/rewarding motoring pleasure. If you try to make the vehicle something that it was not designed to be - You open up Pandora's box and that is where all the trouble begins. This vehicle was designed by Nissan/Cummins to be the best pick-up of its size in the marketplace. It Is !!!!!!!!!!

·
258 Posts
I have a '16 XD diesel and tow an 8k camper all over Alaska.

1) In the city I get 13-14. Highway I get 22-24. Towing I only get 10-11 but I have a lot of mountain ranges to go over no matter where I go.
2) My local dealer has been exceptional and we have plenty of indie shops with diesel experience. I'm not worried at all about ongoing support.
3) I haul too much gear for a topper but I've seen platinum reserves in town with them. I don't trust toppers one bit to keep my gear safe. Find an old, junked topper and see how easy it is to break in and you'll see why.
4) I fill my DEF about 3x a year with towing season triggering most of that.
5) I've been down to -5 without plugging in and I didn't notice any difference in starting.
6) I don't know the specifics but I tow my 8k camper up and down mountain passes all the time and I don't notice any of the temperature gauges change except for exhaust on a steep incline, which I would expect.
7) The only thing I've had worth mentioning was a loose hose. Looked like the clamp was never secured in the factory. Just to be safe, my dealership replaced the hose in question and all clamps in the engine compartment for free (one of the reasons my dealership has been exceptional for service). Other than that just minor recall issues common with every new model.
8) Twice. The aforementioned loose hose and a front shock was that leaking (free replacement).

I used to tow the same 8k camper with my 2006 Titan and it didn't have any problems. So I would imagine the newer 5.6L would handle it even better.

But I definitely prefer the XD due to the ability to handle the tow weight. My 2006 regular Titan felt a bit light at times. We also get a lot of wind through our passes and the XD grips the road like glue whereas the 2006 got shoved around by the wind.

As others have said, the diesel purrs like a kitten when it tows. I go up mountain passes and rarely have to downshift. And I most definitely do NOT miss the crazy high RPM's the gas version needs to get sufficient torque.

Diesel is generally cheaper than gas up here so that made my decision even easier.

·
551 Posts
I have a '16 XD diesel and tow an 8k camper all over Alaska.

1) In the city I get 13-14. Highway I get 22-24.
Wow, you are able to get 22-24 highway? That's nice. So far, I've never seen anything above 21.6.

·
258 Posts
Wow, you are able to get 22-24 highway? That's nice. So far, I've never seen anything above 21.6.
When I first got it I got 21 hwy but it has steadily improved. I just crossed 20k miles so I'm hoping it keeps edging up bit by bit.

·
551 Posts
When I first got it I got 21 hwy but it has steadily improved. I just crossed 20k miles so I'm hoping it keeps edging up bit by bit.
20K miles? Mine is 2017 and I just crossed 65K. LOL...

·
258 Posts
20K miles? Mine is 2017 and I just crossed 65K. LOL...
I got mine in spring of 2017 on clearance (it was a steal of deal) so it only has 2+ years on it. I put about 10k per year on it - 1k commuting to/from work and 9k having fun.

·
385 Posts
I skimmed through this thread quickly, I admit, it I think you’re leaning towards a gasser.

For what it’s worth, my XD disesel was getting serviced/warranty items last week and I had a ‘19 non-XD gasser to drive for 2 days.

It’s a nice truck- sounds great, it’s quick, and rides very smooth-but that 7-speed is still quirky. I would wait until 20 for a new 9-speed variant. Or just ship this spring for a steal of a deal on a 19.

My 2 cents.

·
179 Posts
I skimmed through this thread quickly, I admit, it I think you’re leaning towards a gasser.

For what it’s worth, my XD disesel was getting serviced/warranty items last week and I had a ‘19 non-XD gasser to drive for 2 days.

It’s a nice truck- sounds great, it’s quick, and rides very smooth-but that 7-speed is still quirky. I would wait until 20 for a new 9-speed variant. Or just ship this spring for a steal of a deal on a 19.

My 2 cents.
I hated the 7 speed at first. It seemed like it was always picking the wrong gear, especially when cruising at low speeds. I have about 10k on the truck now and it shifts great. The quality is not on par with Toyota, but I think the 5.6 XD is a steal that is overlooked by most truck buyers.

·
385 Posts
I had a 17 gas XD before my XD Diesel. I put 25k miles on it and the transmission always had to a of flutter issues under light throttle- after several revisions, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts