Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just comed back from a 4000km trip from canada,vermont,mass,connecticut,new york, pennyl..., maryland,north carolina,south carolina with a cougar fiver 27sab around 9k loaded and your family of 4 , titan box full a tools , average 9mpg speed 65-75mph , this new 5.6 is really more powerfull than my old 2011 Pro4X and this new tow mode is AMAZING ( the old titan tow mode was useless ) , the truck handle this weight like a 2500 not like a 1/2 ton , even vermont with step grade could not stop the motor pushing up to 70-75mph , seriously after trying both cummins and gas XD the cummins would have difficulty to keep with the gas version ( like tfltruck found ) , ride is confy and smooth , the tranny shift and downshift without any knock and this rev matching feature really help ( i think ) , I have the pro4x fully loaded and my payload sticker is 1929lbs from the door sticker , this is a real 1/2 ton HD crew cab with option and confort not vaporware from certain manufacturer.....

·
450 Posts
Sounds like you got the right truck!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
492 Posts
We just comed back from a 4000km trip from canada,vermont,mass,connecticut,new york, pennyl..., maryland,north carolina,south carolina with a cougar fiver 27sab around 9k loaded and your family of 4 , titan box full a tools , average 9mpg speed 65-75mph , this new 5.6 is really more powerfull than my old 2011 Pro4X and this new tow mode is AMAZING ( the old titan tow mode was useless ) , the truck handle this weight like a 2500 not like a 1/2 ton , even vermont with step grade could not stop the motor pushing up to 70-75mph , seriously after trying both cummins and gas XD the cummins would have difficulty to keep with the gas version ( like tfltruck found ) , ride is confy and smooth , the tranny shift and downshift without any knock and this rev matching feature really help ( i think ) , I have the pro4x fully loaded and my payload sticker is 1929lbs from the door sticker , this is a real 1/2 ton HD crew cab with option and confort not vaporware from certain manufacturer.....
Thanks for posting. This is the kind of information that I find valuable.

·
258 Posts
Yes, this is what we like to hear! I guess that increased payload is due to the lack of all that is diesel!

·
348 Posts
The fully loaded option takes away 200 pounds of payload.... My 5.6 Pro4 only has the utility package and payload shows 2100+ lbs. you wouldn't think the options weighed that much. I too liked the way mine performed with a travel trailer, congrats on your purchase and journey.

·
165 Posts
4000km sounds like an amazing road trip ! Glad to hear that it all went well, especially for a prospective buyer such as myself, it's great to hear a real life experience on how it held up

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Canadian or U.S. mpg?

·
348 Posts
Vkeven, what is the build date on your truck? Mine is 4/16, the only issue I've had with towing is a hard downshift at 40 to 47 mph when I touch the brakes, in tow mode, the rev match slams it into 4th no matter where the tranny's at. Curious as to whether there is a later version of transmission programming available. There has not been a service bulletin issued according to local service department.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vkeven, what is the build date on your truck? Mine is 4/16, the only issue I've had with towing is a hard downshift at 40 to 47 mph when I touch the brakes, in tow mode, the rev match slams it into 4th no matter where the tranny's at. Curious as to whether there is a later version of transmission programming available. There has not been a service bulletin issued according to local service department.
Will check tomorrow but yes the tranny is doing this on mine to , with light load ( 2-5k ) I don't used tow mode because of this really agressive downshifting but with load like the 5er is work well to slow down this heavy load , I don't know if this was designed this way ?? I pulled a load in the past with a silverado 2500 6.0 gas and tow mode was also agressive like this but this was 2 years ago so can't remembered if the silverado was hard on downshift.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Canadian or U.S. mpg?
US

around 25L/100km in the south and 28L/100km vermont , from canada to south carolina I drived smootly but from south carolina to canada I drived faster and more agressively

·
1,300 Posts
Looks good, we are going to be doing a trip down that way in a couple years... I was down there about 20 years ago when i was 10, getting old sucks lol.

·
104 Posts
Yes, this is what we like to hear! I guess that increased payload is due to the lack of all that is diesel!
I am almost two months owning this truck you guys and TFL are giving me buyers remorse. I bought the truck to get back into camping. Is there any 5.0L diesel guys out there make feel better about this purchase.:frown2:

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I am almost two months owning this truck you guys and TFL are giving me buyers remorse. I bought the truck to get back into camping. Is there any 5.0L diesel guys out there make feel better about this purchase.:frown2:
Pretty much every 5L diesel owner on here is very happy with there purchase. 24,000 trouble free km on mine. About 4000km towing my 8000-9000 travel trailer in the past month and a half. Gets great mpg whIle towing and better then expected mpg empty.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pretty much every 5L diesel owner on here is very happy with there purchase. 24,000 trouble free km on mine. About 4000km towing my 8000-9000 travel trailer in the past month and a half. Gets great mpg whIle towing and better then expected mpg empty.
How much mpg towing your TT ? , the gas was a better choice for me ( alot of in town stop and go ) and the DEF system would be a pain for me because of this , I drived the Cummins and it was really cool but the logical choice was gas , if someone tow alot the cummins is propably a better choice overtime for sure

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
How much mpg towing your TT ? , the gas was a better choice for me ( alot of in town stop and go ) and the DEF system would be a pain for me because of this , I drived the Cummins and it was really cool but the logical choice was gas , if someone tow alot the cummins is propably a better choice overtime for sure
Just got done a 600 km round trip strong winds on way home 12.8 mpg total trip
Last trip more km less wind closer to 14 mpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts