Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2018 Titan XD SV 4x4, 5.0 Cummings, Midnight
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read conflicting info on TT published Hitch Weight. Some say its based off Dry weight (UVW) some say its off TT GVWR.
The trailer I am looking at is a 32 MS Vibe from Forest river. Vibe 32MS | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes

Published Info:
Hitch Weight 1054 lbs.
UVW (Sticker 6733lbs),
GVWR 9770,
CCC 2990 (I will not get near that amount, maybe 750 to 1200 max, pending how far I am going and how long)

Ran the numbers and all look good provided I stay under 2000 CCC or leave someone home lol.

I will be using a equalizer 12k 4 point WDH and sway.

Will the hitch weight be an issue if that number is based off Dry weight? 2018 XD SV , Diesel 4X4.

I called Forest River and the sales person there said they are actually weighted. Another sales person at a different RF location said it's based off of GVWR. Starting to get nervous,. Picking up the trailer later today. But will squash if not safe.

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
283 Posts
I’m pretty sure you’re gonna be slightly over your payload. I’m not the weight police, and you can search around the forum to get a feel for how people think, but I wouldn’t do what you’ve listed with this truck. It’s too close for my comfort with my family in the truck. Dry weight means nothing once you’re rolling. No one travels “dry.” And salesmen are just that: salesmen. I wouldn’t take their word for anything unless you personally know/trust them. Most don’t even know what you’re talking about with the tow weights and such.

But you’ll find plenty of people that disagree.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn it. I ran several tow calculator both online and excel sheets, all. I added extra weight in my calculations. I know I can't load up to max CCC and will monitor both TW and payload. I plan on weighing each trip and buying a tongue weight scale. Damn it. Thank you for your input.

·
14 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert, but I think you'll be ok even if it is the dry weight. You'll just need to be smart about how you load your trailer, maybe get one of those distribution hitches with the scale on them. The hitch weight should be 10-15% of the trailer weight. So if we do your gvwr of 9770 and multiply it by 15%, that would be 1465 lbs of hitch weight if you load it properly. As long as you don't add a ton of weight inside the truck, you should be ok even at the max weight for the trailer.

Edit: I believe the payload on the titans include an average weight driver and full tank of gas, so you won't need to add that against the payload.

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
283 Posts
Just remember that the diesel is heavier. My payload is 2k lbs with gasser. Yours will be significantly less.
Your equalizer system helps, but just in case you’re new to them, a 12k equalizer system means it’s designed to work at towing 12k lbs and approx 1200 lbs on the hitch. These WD systems aren’t a “go big or go home” thing. You want to target specifically to your weight. Otherwise they can’t do their job. For example, if you’ll tow 10k lbs consistently like me, I have the 10k system. Not a 12 cause that’s too stiff for it and it makes it less efficient. If I was gonna do 6k all the time, I’d have the 6k or 8k system (depending on where it falls in the ratings.).

You can always see if you can hitch up and go weigh the whole thing “dry” and then work from there. If they won’t let you I’d be surprised. I just say I wanna test drive it to see how the truck handles it.

·
14 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert, but I think you'll be ok even if it is the dry weight. You'll just need to be smart about how you load your trailer, maybe get one of those distribution hitches with the scale on them. The hitch weight should be 10-15% of the trailer weight. So if we do your gvwr of 9770 and multiply it by 15%, that would be 1465 lbs of hitch weight if you load it properly. As long as you don't add a ton of weight inside the truck, you should be ok even at the max weight for the trailer.

Edit: I believe the payload on the titans include an average weight driver and full tank of gas, so you won't need to add that against the payload.
According to the manual, it does look like the manual states the max trailer hitch weight is 1,203 lbs if you have the crew cab. Not sure if they are just using 10% of the max towing weight though, because it looks like that's what it is.

Attachments

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess I screwed this all up. I studied and read for months to ensure I knew what I was doing. Wrong again.

My truck is a 2018 XD SV 4x4 Diesel Crew Cab.
12030 Towing,
Payload Sticker 1708 (Manual states 2000lb with WDH, I will use 1708 as my payload)
Manual States Hitch Weight 12k with a WDH

I bought a 12k Equalizer 4 pt Hitch thinking I will rated it to the truck. Sounds like I am wrong again. You just need to but the bars to de-rate?

I am hoping if I load properly, keep the cargo low enough to keep my trailer under 8500 lbs and tongue weight at 12.5 of Trailer weight I would be ok. Guess I am Wrong again!

Pretty much will be just my wife and I doing very short trips for a while. Weight 350lbs. Most items will be in the trailer so maybe 35-50 in the truck.

I really don't want to trade in the truck. I told my wife I wanted a shorter and lighter trailer...but, the initial numbers worked, I agreed, So, my damn fault lol. Well hell!

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
283 Posts
8500 lbs tongue weight? Or total trailer weight? Tongue weight is the weight pushing down on your hitch. You want 10-15% of your loaded trailer rate. So for 8500lbs towing your tongues weight will be 850-900.
Your 12l equalizer will still work for you. It’s just overkill and the ride could be “smoother” if you had the 10k. And coulda saved a little money but you can still use it just fine.

Equalizer has a great video (or etrailer) on how to hook up your WD bars.

I just think you got your numbers crossed. I’ve never seen where you’re allowed more payload using WD. All it does is shift weight from the rear axle to the front. It doesn’t make the weight go away. So your GVWR still has to be in specs.

·
62 Posts
Joe, maybe this will help. After going to the scales, I started with 1450lbs tongue weight. After hitched up with my equilizer hitch the tongue weight went to about 1150lbs. This is because about 250lbs shifts to the front wheels and about 100lbs went back to the trailer axles. I purchased the Equilizer 1000/10k. It works great. My trailer is 33 ft long.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
8500 lbs tongue weight? Or total trailer weight? Tongue weight is the weight pushing down on your hitch. You want 10-15% of your loaded trailer rate. So for 8500lbs towing your tongues weight will be 850-900.
Your 12l equalizer will still work for you. It’s just overkill and the ride could be “smoother” if you had the 10k. And coulda saved a little money but you can still use it just fine.

Equalizer has a great video (or etrailer) on how to hook up your WD bars.

I just think you got your numbers crossed. I’ve never seen where you’re allowed more payload using WD. All it does is shift weight from the rear axle to the front. It doesn’t make the weight go away. So your GVWR still has to be in specs.
HuZZah,. Thank you for the well needed info. I was in a hurry and nervous as all get out and probably mixed up my numbers. I am a newbie at travel trailers. I knew about 10-15 percent of the TW, that is what threw me off about the Published TW. If the Dry Weight is 6733 shouldn't the tongue weight be around 673 to 1010. Not far from 1054 lb. The payload increase was from the Titan XD manual. I am not using that number in my calculations. Using the sticker on my truck which is 1708 lb. 99% it will be just me and the Wife. About 340lbs human weight. We decided if anyone wants to go and the numbers won't work, we take two vehicles.

My thought process is to keep the Trailer no heavier then 7500 - 8500 lbs. Check tongue weight with a Tongue Weight scale while loading to keep the TW manageable. Weekend warriors and will not venture to far until I am certain (100's of RV parks within 20 miles of me and miles of beach for boondocking.

When I got my equalizer hitch I noticed a couple things. Box was about to fall apart, parts were marred, scarred and chipped paint. Most likely just rubbing each other. However, the adjusted hitch was rated for 14k. Is this normal? The bars have 12k stickers on them. The Hitch head no info on it. Thank you again for your knowledge. Appreciate you! I am gonna make the 26 mile trip to the CAT scale through construction zone and a tall bridge. This should be interesting. Thanks again.
Joe, maybe this will help. After going to the scales, I started with 1450lbs tongue weight. After hitched up with my equilizer hitch the tongue weight went to about 1150lbs. This is because about 250lbs shifts to the front wheels and about 100lbs went back to the trailer axles. I purchased the Equilizer 1000/10k. It works great. My trailer is 33 ft long.
Thank you, that helps a lot. Is your trailer 33 feet total hitch to bumper? This TT seems to get longer each time I look at it. 32 MS about 35.8 over all. I am going to venture to the nearest CAT scale tomorrow. It's a bit of a drive (about 26 mike's) and through a construction zone and a pretty high bridge. I have never been to a cat scales so I am reading up on how to get all the weights needed. I appreciate all your help. Thanks again.

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
283 Posts
Dry Weight is 6733 shouldn't the tongue weight be around 673 to 1010.
Be sure you do tongue weight off total, not dry. Dry weight is almost useless cause some people pack so much extra weight. And it’s easy to over-pack your hitch rating.

But yes, your “revised” numbers look better. The hitch being 14k to 12k bars is weird. That doesn’t seem right. But then again, it may just be the same hitch. With equalizer bars you will sometimes hear groaning/rubbing cause they’re friction based. It’s mostly normal.

Also, FYI, most WD systems aren’t rated for backing in anything other than a straight line. Double check that your system can go in reverse especially at an angle. If not, just be sure you loosen/remove the bars before you back in. It puts enormous torque on them and they can break eventually.

I’m not an expert, but I have done my fair share of heavy hauling with WD bars. And I’m familiar with the equalizer system. Hope it helps.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thank you for your feedback. I will never ever load that much cargo in the trailer to get to max GVWR of 9770. If the Dry weight is true at 6733 and I add 1k of cargo that brings it up to 7733. I do plan on buying a tongue scale to help me load properly. I don't plan on going over 8500 lbs.
I actually went to a scrap yard truck scale and weight my truck with a full tank of Diesel. Came out to 7200 with out me in it. A little more then the published Curb weight of 7154. I didn't know about average weight person included in payload. What's considered average? 150-160,,?

Thank you again for your feed back.
Be sure you do tongue weight off total, not dry. Dry weight is almost useless cause some people pack so much extra weight. And it’s easy to over-pack your hitch rating.

But yes, your “revised” numbers look better. The hitch being 14k to 12k bars is weird. That doesn’t seem right. But then again, it may just be the same hitch. With equalizer bars you will sometimes hear groaning/rubbing cause they’re friction based. It’s mostly normal.

Also, FYI, most WD systems aren’t rated for backing in anything other than a straight line. Double check that your system can go in reverse especially at an angle. If not, just be sure you loosen/remove the bars before you back in. It puts enormous torque on them and they can break eventually.

I’m not an expert, but I have done my fair share of heavy hauling with WD bars. And I’m familiar with the equalizer system. Hope it helps.
I am not sure what 'tongue weight off total". How is that achieved? The WDH write up said no need to unhook the WDH to back up. One reason I got this particular one. However, it didn't mention no sharp turns. That sucks, cause I needed to turn pretty good to get into my drive way. I know better now. Thanks for your help. I am seriously thinking about going back to the dealer and see if I can't get a lighter TW trailer. But, gonna hit the scales tomorrow before I make that decision. Thanks again.

I went back and looked at several other trailers we were interest in and their advertised hit way was 10-11% of their published Dry weight. I think that's what got me.

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
283 Posts
I am not sure what 'tongue weight off total". How is that achieved?
I mean go off your weight with the trailer and truck fully loaded. It will be heavier.

If necessary to make really tight turns, just unhook your WD bars from the hitch before you do it. But I don’t unhook our equalizer to back or anything and it’s been fine.But I don’t ever jackknife it turning.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I mean go off your weight with the trailer and truck fully loaded. It will be heavier.

If necessary to make really tight turns, just unhook your WD bars from the hitch before you do it. But I don’t unhook our equalizer to back or anything and it’s been fine.But I don’t ever jackknife it turning.
Thanks again. I did some reading about how to get weights at a CAT scale. Seems easy enough. From what I read I need 3 weight tickets.
1. TV & TT loaded with WDH engaged
2. TV & TT loaded with out WDH
3. TV only loaded including Passenger

Currently loading TT this morning and hitting the scales this afternoon or first thing Sunday Morning. Praying for a good outcome. I could use a break . In the event the numbers aren't good and have to get a smaller/lighter TT or Different truck, Wife already said we aren't trading in the Midnight Edition Titan! She loves that Truck. Lol. Thank you again and I value your feedback.

On a good note (finally),. I found a CAT scale closer (20 miles).

·
62 Posts
Joe my trailer is 33 ft total from tongue to bumper. Getting the Equalizer hitch dialed in is key. I had to buy the 6" drop head to get the ball height right for my trailer. I have 5 washers for tilt back (this is to put weight to front axles). I also set the ball height about 2 inches taller then trailer when level and unhooked to account for rear sag. This worked better then the 1inch recommended. The bars should be close to level when set up properly. My payload sticker is 1640lbs. Just my wife and I go camping. You will want to have two spares for your trailer. Ask me how I know. One trailer spare is in the bed of truck and it weighs another 40 lbs. Good luck.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Joe my trailer is 33 ft total from tongue to bumper. Getting the Equalizer hitch dialed in is key. I had to buy the 6" drop head to get the ball height right for my trailer. I have 5 washers for tilt back (this is to put weight to front axles). I also set the ball height about 2 inches taller then trailer when level and unhooked to account for rear sag. This worked better then the 1inch recommended. The bars should be close to level when set up properly. My payload sticker is 1640lbs. Just my wife and I go camping. You will want to have two spares for your trailer. Ask me how I know. One trailer spare is in the bed of truck and it weighs another 40 lbs. Good luck.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update. Loaded the trailer and headed to the scales. A mile from my house truck gives me a reduced power warning along with CEL. Got the trailer back home and took truck in. Something to do with the coolant pump Assembly. Then flash floods warnings the next day, then had to leave town for 4 days. Damn, I will never get my weights..lol

·
162 Posts
Update. Loaded the trailer and headed to the scales. A mile from my house truck gives me a reduced power warning along with CEL. Got the trailer back home and took truck in. Something to do with the coolant pump Assembly. Then flash floods warnings the next day, then had to leave town for 4 days. Damn, I will never get my weights..lol
It’s your coolant sensor in the coolant tank I bet, same thing happened to me

·
68 Posts
Damn it. I ran several tow calculator both online and excel sheets, all. I added extra weight in my calculations. I know I can't load up to max CCC and will monitor both TW and payload. I plan on weighing each trip and buying a tongue weight scale. Damn it. Thank you for your input.
Just to let you know how tight the weights are, I bought a Tophat gooseneck trailer (20' + 5' dovetail) and when I weighed the truck with the empty trailer, which is 5600lbs, with chains and binders and straps, I was overwight on the truck....both front and rear axles were overweight. My GVWR is 8990 and I was 9160 with the empty trailer. I went and bought a new 2020 1 ton Duramax DRW (which is already in the shop broken down). The Titan is more than capable, but they rated it way too low. I dont even want to weigh it with my 2020 Springdale fiver....

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to let you know how tight the weights are, I bought a Tophat gooseneck trailer (20' + 5' dovetail) and when I weighed the truck with the empty trailer, which is 5600lbs, with chains and binders and straps, I was overwight on the truck....both front and rear axles were overweight. My GVWR is 8990 and I was 9160 with the empty trailer. I went and bought a new 2020 1 ton Duramax DRW (which is already in the shop broken down). The Titan is more than capable, but they rated it way too low. I dont even want to weigh it with my 2020 Springdale fiver....
I have been trying to get to the scales. Once on my way damn truck gave me a reduced power. Had to put in the shop. I bought a Tongue weight scale from E-trailer and with light cargo in the trailer the TW was 1050lbs. I still need to get to the scales. I have pulled it 10 miles to a local camp ground to do a shakedown cruise. The scale numbers will tell me if I need to make some changes. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts