Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am interested in collecting some data regarding regeneration cycles in the XD's emissions system. I would like to collect a datapoint from your ECU, which if you already have an OBD-II scanner, should be easy to find.

The Titan XD ECU reports the actual number of miles driven between the immediately preceding two regen cycles. Whenever a regen cycle ends, a counter is set to zero and starts counting miles. When the next regen cycle starts, that value is stored in a PID which can be read with a scan tool. That value remains static until it is reloaded at the beginning of the next regen cycle.

In the OBD Fusion app, the PID is called "Average distance between DPF regens." It is somewhat misleading because the XD does not keep a running average. It just reports the most recent inter-regen interval. The SAE PID number is 0x8B.8 if you can poll it directly.

I would like to collect as many of these readings as possible as well as collect some information about your driving habits.

The survey is here ---> https://forms.gle/4HWE42cxevjwCcdt5

IMPORTANT: This survey is for those who have stock, unmodified trucks (no tuners, no pedal commanders, no deletes, no changes at all to induction or exhaust systems, etc).

If you have any questions, please let me know.
Thanks!

·
232 Posts
Won't be able to participate in this. The Pedal Commander has been a big help in both increasing responsiveness while under way and while using the Eco Mode. The instantaneous mpg bar is definitely affected by the Eco Mode setting for low power demand situations and I sense that my use of this Commander will likely skew results.

·
929 Posts
Won't be able to participate in this. The Pedal Commander has been a big help in both increasing responsiveness while under way and while using the Eco Mode. The instantaneous mpg bar is definitely affected by the Eco Mode setting for low power demand situations and I sense that my use of this Commander will likely skew results.
Theres no way possible that a pedal commander will effect regens

·
232 Posts
His survey; his rules. Unless he changes his mind, PCers need not apply.

·
370 Posts
I'm curious what the "Eco Mode" is? Is that a setting for the Pedal Commander or some tune kit?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His survey; his rules. Unless he changes his mind, PCers need not apply.
I want to do another one later on for modded trucks but for now I am just trying to get a baseline to study the effects (if any) of additives.The more variables there are in the population, the more samples I need to arrive at reliable outcomes.

Also, I should mention that I can take multiple submissions from the same truck, so if you guys want to fill this out after every regen, that will give me more data to work with.

·
232 Posts
I'm curious what the "Eco Mode" is? Is that a setting for the Pedal Commander or some tune kit?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes, a setting on the Pedal Commander. The way I use it is if entering Eco Mode increases mpg instantaneous gauge (can double instaneous reading), will keep that setting until I need the responsiveness. I live in a rural area and don't need to be jumping on that accelerator all the time.

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, a setting on the Pedal Commander. The way I use it is if entering Eco Mode increases mpg instantaneous gauge (can double instaneous reading), will keep that setting until I need the responsiveness. I live in a rural area and don't need to be jumping on that accelerator all the time.
What does it do for your overall fuel economy? Do you actually get a significant improvement?

·
97 Posts
My truck isn’t a daily driver so I currently have it on City +2. I’m gonna have to try the ECO in the city and test the MPG then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
232 Posts
What does it do for your overall fuel economy? Do you actually get a significant improvement?
Too soon to tell. Have only 2 tanks of fuel on it. Only observed that EM is effective at low throttle positions where toggling between EM and normal modes shows a marked difference in instantaneous MPG. Any EM gains would likely be erased if any of the performance modes are engaged. The EM is not really all the useful when towing in variable terrain and that is 85% of my use of this truck. Won't be easy to arrive at an overall figure.

·
11 Posts
Pedal commander doesn't void the warranty does it? Has anyone used it and had warranty work done?

Also, In the last 800 miles I've had 1 regen (700 mile mark) that lasted 10 miles. They don't seem to happen too often, but I take 60ish mile trips, however I do idle a lot with my dog in the cab when I get out. I'd be curious if I'm normal or not.

·
232 Posts
I have a long road trip coming up where there will be opportunities to engage Eco Mode for long stretches at lower engine power. Will use Eco Mode if it's effective cruising between 1600-1800 rpm while towing and toggle only between Eco and Normal as conditions dictate. Have traveled those stretches many times, I might be able to get a rough idea. An increase of one or two mpg would be noticeable, but traffic, wind and weather might not be favorable.

How might this affect regens? My thinking is that fuel consumption impacts particulates generated within any given interval which in turn impacts soot load attained inside the 24 hr clock. I would expect a 100% SL inside 24 hours would begin a regen and restart the 24 hr interval. Theoretically anyway, if I can travel more miles than my current regen average inside the 24 hr regen clock....., well you get the idea. I seriously doubt data on that will be forthcoming anytime soon.

I am beginning to suspect that my miles between regen average has dropped because distance traveled inside that 24 programmed interval has dropped.

·
232 Posts
Pedal commander doesn't void the warranty does it? Has anyone used it and had warranty work done?

Also, In the last 800 miles I've had 1 regen (700 mile mark) that lasted 10 miles. They don't seem to happen too often, but I take 60ish mile trips, however I do idle a lot with my dog in the cab when I get out. I'd be curious if I'm normal or not.
It is said not to affect warranty and leaves no digital footprint in the ECU. The Magnusson Moss Warranty Act puts the burden of proof on the dealer to show how the mod affected the need for warranty repair. In addition, warranty service unrelated to the mod cannot be refused (illegal). The dealer could still be difficult and you would probably have to turn up the heat.

Nevertheless, it takes only seconds to remove and would do that before letting the dealer have the truck. I read in this forum where a guy left it in and had no trouble.

·
232 Posts
If it were to be left in, I would make sure it is OUT OF SIGHT and the mode set to Normal. An app is available to operate it remotely.

·
11 Posts
Sounds fair. I had a tuned mustang and the dealer never gave me trouble, but then again, nothing ever went wrong. Just oil changes lol.

·
929 Posts
All this thing does is adjust where in the throttle position you get power. When in eco mode you have to press the throttle further to get same throttle as stock. When in sport it just takes less pedal to reach wot. This this does nothing to your computer to help you save fuel.

·
232 Posts
All this thing does is adjust where in the throttle position you get power. When in eco mode you have to press the throttle further to get same throttle as stock. When in sport it just takes less pedal to reach wot. This this does nothing to your computer to help you save fuel.
I would agree with that. And notwithstanding it makes no changes to the computer, mpg will still increase from 12 mpg to well over 20 mpg when Eco is engaged under certain conditions. Will go back to 12mpg when switched back to Normal. That gauge could be lyin' to me. Just don't know yet.

·
929 Posts
I would agree with that. And notwithstanding it makes no changes to the computer, mpg will still increase from 12 mpg to well over 20 mpg when Eco is engaged under certain conditions. Will go back to 12mpg when switched back to Normal. That gauge could be lyin' to me. Just don't know yet.
Lmao I can 100% promise you it's not right. Hand calculate a tank on eco mode and do the same on sport mode. Your mpg ain't going to change.

·
232 Posts
Lmao I can 100% promise you it's not right. Hand calculate a tank on eco mode and do the same on sport mode. Your mpg ain't going to change.
I'm more interested in the difference between Normal and Eco Modes. Not interested in sport mode economy. There ain't none. If anything significant turns up, will start another thread.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts