Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It was just a question... I've been interested in a Pedal Commander because I keep hearing that it eliminates the throttle lag, but I have never been totally sure just how it accomplishes that. The lag is the result of the TM system in the truck and regardless of what the pedal input is, the ECU is going to limit torque under those circumstances.

I have a screen on OBD Fusion that tells me torque demand and actual torque side by side and you can actually see the lag... the incredibly absurd lag... between demand and delivery.

Anyway, back on topic, I just had a unicorn regen this morning (one that starts right as I leave for the office and finishes right when I get there). I got 325 miles before that one, and the regen only got the soot load down to 36%. I got 359 on my last one.

I have a big trailer trip next week to get dog food, so I'll be towing my empty trailer 550 miles one way and 10,000lbs the same distance back. I doubt I will see a regen except for the 24 hour clock, and what I've observed there is that the regen will start, and the soot load will immediately drop to a very low number - I need to watch this time to see if the regen still runs on its 45 minute timer or if it is smart enough to terminate early.

·
114 Posts
OBD Fusion shows my Average Time Between DPF Regens is 905 minutes. I think that works out to 15 hours. This is my daily driver, 20 mile round trip commute, not towing. 2018 XD SV Crew Cab with 42k miles. I'll have to keep looking to find the average distance display.

·
1,140 Posts
I wouldn’t steer you wrong...just get the PC. It makes a HUGE difference. Install takes about 43 seconds (possibly less if you are mechanically inclined). Don’t even question it. Pony up and buy one.

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OBD Fusion shows my Average Time Between DPF Regens is 905 minutes. I think that works out to 15 hours. This is my daily driver, 20 mile round trip commute, not towing. 2018 XD SV Crew Cab with 42k miles. I'll have to keep looking to find the average distance display.
If you look at the next PID down on the list (or somewhere near it) it should be the average miles between regens parameter I'm looking for. Would you be so kind as to fill out the survey linked in the first post? I'd appreciate it! Thank you!

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I wouldn’t steer you wrong...just get the PC. It makes a HUGE difference. Install takes about 43 seconds (possibly less if you are mechanically inclined). Don’t even question it. Pony up and buy one.
Yeah but PPEI tuning is on sale for $900 right now.. assuming that will also get rid of the throttle lag, the kid in me is trying to override my sense of responsibility... haha

·
1,140 Posts
Yeah but PPEI tuning is on sale for $900 right now.. assuming that will also get rid of the throttle lag, the kid in me is trying to override my sense of responsibility... haha
It helps...but the combination of both is like night and day. Not sure why but the tuning alone didn’t eliminate the lag.

·
232 Posts
It was just a question... I've been interested in a Pedal Commander because I keep hearing that it eliminates the throttle lag, but I have never been totally sure just how it accomplishes that. The lag is the result of the TM system in the truck and regardless of what the pedal input is, the ECU is going to limit torque under those circumstances.
It will likely do nothing for you from a dead stop. That's what I really bought it for. So in that regard, pretty disappointed. However, if you are rolling even slightly, it will smarten up the truck's response in City Mode on up. Between City +2 and Sport +2 is seems about right and not too aggressive. I think it's too squirrelly above that. Think of it a taking some of the slack out a string. Lots of slack, sluggish. No slack, not sluggish.

I don't do much city driving but noticed in the 4 traffic circles on my route to town in the stock mode after decelerating and the truck is sluggish accelerating out of the circle. So, no PC sluggish, with PC pretty responsive. Before the PC, I could mitigate that by downshifting manually to get the RPMs up to get better response.

One more observation on the PC. I could have sworn that my Scangauge was indicating Throttle Position (TPS) before the PC. Today on our trip I was wondering how the PC might be affecting that and lo and behold, it didn't work--NO throttle position indication. I haven't yet tested to see if removal of the PC brings back the TPS. But, at this point, I am wondering if the PC disables the truck TPS and replaces it with some signal of its own? On this trip, I don't feel like going through the machinations to remove and reinstall with leaving door open, moving key xx ft away, etc., but someone else here might want to try that before I get around to it.

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That's weird that there is no TPS indication in scangauge. I would think they are just modifying the TPS to give a higher initial rate of change to fool the PID controller in the ECU into ramping up the torque faster. What has made me skeptical of the PC is that it is just an input to the torque management system, not an output. Modifying the input to the controller can only do so much to the output, and you are still beholden to the algorithm. All PID controllers have an element that responds to the rate of change of the input, so when the input changes really fast, the controller tries to respond more quickly.

I suspect that if I were to probe the TPS signal from the PC, there would be a very high rate pulse to full scale and then a rebound any time the pedal is depressed from a zero position - and that the PC is simply amplifying the rate of change of the TPS signal at all times, based on your settings. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend $300 to find out that I'm right and that it's not really that effective. But, I am reasonably confident that is how they're doing it.

·
370 Posts
That's weird that there is no TPS indication in scangauge. I would think they are just modifying the TPS to give a higher initial rate of change to fool the PID controller in the ECU into ramping up the torque faster. What has made me skeptical of the PC is that it is just an input to the torque management system, not an output. Modifying the input to the controller can only do so much to the output, and you are still beholden to the algorithm. All PID controllers have an element that responds to the rate of change of the input, so when the input changes really fast, the controller tries to respond more quickly.

I suspect that if I were to probe the TPS signal from the PC, there would be a very high rate pulse to full scale and then a rebound any time the pedal is depressed from a zero position - and that the PC is simply amplifying the rate of change of the TPS signal at all times, based on your settings. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend $300 to find out that I'm right and that it's not really that effective. But, I am reasonably confident that is how they're doing it.
I'd bet you a cold beer that the PC is also not letting the signal from the accelerator pedal drop all the way to zero when you let of the 'gas.'

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'd bet you a cold beer that the PC is also not letting the signal from the accelerator pedal drop all the way to zero when you let of the 'gas.'

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I had that thought as well since keeping the "throttle" open just a tiny bit seems to completely alleviate the re-acceleration problem... during a regen the hesitation is not there (or at least is a lot less pronounced) because it is idling a little higher.

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Oh come on! Don't spoil it! :D

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So I posted my info to your survey. When do we get to know the results? I'd like to know if I'm high, low or in the middle.
Well I only have 4 responses so far (and 2 of them are mine), so it may be a while before I have enough data to make any conclusions. Best thing to do is to share the survey link with everyone you know who has a diesel XD, and to enter your info after every regen to increase the number of datapoints.

Thanks for helping! (btw you're right in the middle)

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Wow, I've already had another regen start since Monday, after less than 150 miles. I got the Monday PM commute, Tuesday AM/PM, and most of this morning.. OUCH.

·
929 Posts
Wow, I've already had another regen start since Monday, after less than 150 miles. I got the Monday PM commute, Tuesday AM/PM, and most of this morning.. OUCH.
Start using diesel kleen in your fuel. It has literally doubled my time between regens. I used to average about 300 miles, now I'm over 600

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Start using diesel kleen in your fuel. It has literally doubled my time between regens. I used to average about 300 miles, now I'm over 600
I have used it before and didn't notice any changes (but never recorded real data). I have a jug of it ready but wanted to get through some more regens first. I'm towing my 10klbs trailer next week through the mountains of VA and that should burn out the DPF pretty good (EGTs touch 1300+ in the mountains) and then I'll run a few tanks with DK thorough it.

My last two before this one were 359 and 325 miles.. <150 out of nowhere is certainly a big surprise.

·
25 Posts
So I've had a Scangauge II hooked up from the second day of owning my 2019 P4x. I don't have the Fusion app but I would like to share all my regens for others to observe.
1 @ 603 miles
[email protected] 1212 miles
[email protected] 1798 miles
[email protected] 2230 miles
[email protected] 2582 miles = 352
[email protected] 3080 miles = 498
[email protected] 3248 miles = 168
[email protected] 3365 miles = 117 RG last 40 mi
[email protected] 4590 miles=1225. RG last 30mi
[email protected] 4705 miles= 115 RG last 20 mi
[email protected] 4945 m = 240 RG last 25 mi
[email protected] 5165m = 220 RG last 24 mi
[email protected] 5564m = 401 RG last 18 mi
[email protected] 5735m = 171 RG last 22 mi
[email protected] 5877m = 142 RG
[email protected] 6101m = 224 RG last 25 mi
[email protected] 6222m = 121 RG last 30 mi
[email protected] 6407m = 185 RG last 28 mi
[email protected] 6733m = 326 RG last 31 mi

Truck runs great. I do lots of city driving but also tow a tt once a month weighing 7000k lbs. Love my truck more everyday.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts