Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking, learning here for a bit. Had a couple of questions for Cummins, because any new engine/truck has gremlins.
Asked a couple of local dealers, the truck is new enough that most are really up to speed on the engine. So I emailed Cummins, I knew they would be vague on the answers, but wow. I could have gotten the same thing at a bar from random strangers.
I think I'm holding off for a bit.
Here is the email answers, I cut off the CS name,

Good afternoon Dave,

I’m going to list your questions and my answer in red.

Does the turbo have steel or ceramic bearings?
The bearings are probably steel, but the information I have doesn’t really say. It looks like the turbo is model HE300WG which is a Holset Komatsu group located in Japan.

On the valves, one pushrod each, or do they share a pushrod/rocker?
It is one pushrod each. There should be 8 of them.

On the EGR, what worries do I have about failure(Ford Style)?
This engine is to new and I haven’t heard of any feedback from customers in regarding issues with the EGR. I can’t really speculate what issue may arise.

Will there be software updates available?
The software in the ECM is Nissans, so I wouldn’t know. From my experience, there are software updates for every program for every engine.

What is the projected life for the DPF, considering all maintenance is done?
I’m not sure what the projected life for the DPF is. We only replace things when things fail. There is a inspection the shops have to do to make sure they can reuse the DPF, if it meets the criteria, then they can reuse it, if not, then it gets replaced. Since we only repair per failure, we don’t have information on what the expected life is for any particular part.

The intercooler, air to air or watercooled?
This intercooler looks to be air cooled.

Thank you for contacting Cummins Care

·
363 Posts
Wow, that's sad. It's nice Cummins has support but terrible if it only spews out inconclusive information. Hopefully that department gets some education soon or learns how to direct emails and calls to someone in the know.

·
93 Posts
I thought based on other stuff I've read on the forum that Nissan is using Cummins ECM. They claim the other way around -- though based on their response I don't think any of it can be believed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
224 Posts
Cummins delivers their own ECM with each engine tested. The ECM gets mounted to the chassis during engine installation, as opposed to their other engines that have ECM's mounted to the block, but its Cummins' part. They deliver the ECM because they load the engine performance map at the assembly plant during cold and hot test. Watched one get programmed.

Unfortunately, Cummins Care is not talking to some of their counterparts in the company. Not entirely unusual for a large company, though.

MB

·
1,979 Posts
If it's anything like Ford the DPF is a estimated 100-150k mile or so item. There is a lot of variables that play into how long it lasts.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really trying to bash. I figured it would be a couple of days, they may talk to an engineer or two, give a reasonable but vague answer. There are a few videos of the engineers talking about the design and testing, there is also a white paper on it. I was taken aback by the lack of answer

I figured the ECM was Cummins, since it controls the engine, I heard/read that there are some updates already being done.
I really like the truck, I'm going to keep learning on the forums and wait a bit (luckly I'm in a position that its not an immediate need). I like the 5/8 truck, perfect for what I need.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Not really trying to bash. I figured it would be a couple of days, they may talk to an engineer or two, give a reasonable but vague answer. There are a few videos of the engineers talking about the design and testing, there is also a white paper on it. I was taken aback by the lack of answer

I figured the ECM was Cummins, since it controls the engine, I heard/read that there are some updates already being done.
I really like the truck, I'm going to keep learning on the forums and wait a bit (luckly I'm in a position that its not an immediate need). I like the 5/8 truck, perfect for what I need.
Cummins actually joined this forum a while back, wanting thoughts and feedback. But not a reply since.

·
119 Posts
If it's anything like Ford the DPF is a estimated 100-150k mile or so item. There is a lot of variables that play into how long it lasts.
Once it hits over 100K, warranty is up and the tuners will have a delete by that time...and it's adios DPF....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts