Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, I installed a set of Air Lift Ultimate 5000 air bags on the rear of my XD.
I haul a slide in truck camper, so I wanted the ability to balance the load better and to maintain a level ride.

It took me about 3.5 hours.... The instructions were decent, but could have been better written. I did a test for leaks and didn't find anything wrong, so I'm looking forward to putting the truck camper on for our Memorial Day camping trip to the beach. Can't wait to see how the Pro4X pulls through the sand....
I bought the air bags through SD Truck Springs and they arrived w/i 3 days of my order, so that was great!

I'll update this post after my trip and let y'all know how the air bags worked and how the 4x4 worked on the beach.

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been driving on beaches since '77 and I always air down and never run in low range.... I watched a lot of people get stuck and I'm happy to say I learn from their errors.....
Can't wait to test out the 4x4 capabilities of this truck!

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try and grab some pics of the install after the rain lets up here... Started raining last night and still showering today. Should be able to get some by the weekend anyway....
Putting a front receiver hitch on this weekend. I'll make sure to get pics of that as I do it.

·
8 Posts
Got my Titan XD Platinum Reserve 4WD CC yesterday and registered to this forum today. Haven't got a chance to fix up my profile yet. But I was looking at these same air bags as you Bikerndiver to put on my XD. I hauled a 5th wheel with my 2010 Pro4X and I put air bags on it pretty easily. I am glad to hear you were able to get the air bags on because I hate to buy anything and then have it not fit. Pictures of the air bags on the truck would be nice. Did you get an onboard compressor? Had one in the small bed compartment on the side of my Pro4X but not sure yet where I would put one on this XD.

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not get the on board compressor...yet. I will get it later though. The bags went on pretty easily, with two small issues. the first is getting the lower threaded u-bolt ( which is actually square) around the spring perch as the instructions tell you. It can be done, it just takes patience....all of a sudden..it pops into place. The other issue was removing the bolt from the gooseneck hitch frame. That bolt is held in with blue thread lock. The passenger side was a *itch!!! It just wouldn't come loose. I finally had to use a 3 foot long bar and another set of hands to break it loose. The drivers side was no sweat! I'll try and post pictures tonight or tomorrow. I managed to take some over the weekend, but just couldn't find time to post them...

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Pics of air bags

I'm not a great photographer, so these are the best i can do.... I hope they make some kind of sense.
The air valve is located in the fender well of each rear wheel in an existing hole (factory) in the inner liner.

Attachments

·
8 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the info. I guess I need to just bite the bullet and get some coming.

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put my truck camper on the Titan last night and with 25 pounds of air in the bags, the truck was perfectly level..... I'm going to add 10 more pounds just to give it a a little forward rake and compensate for the weight of the beer and ice I'll be bringing to the beach...

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was a beginner project....easy to do. It took awhile because I wanted to make sure i had the airlines run away from any heat source and made sure everything was secured so there would be no rubbing/chaffing.
It is all bolt on, no drilling required. I now have about 18,000 miles on these airbags and no issues...work great.

·
88 Posts
I am going to tackle this today or tomorrow, any tips you could give? How far did you have to lift the rear to get the brackets/bags to slide in?

·
16 Posts
Hi david, if it anything similar to my ford you have to lift as high as it well go before tires lift of the ground, it was tight fit. The install time just takes awhile if u laying on back with out vehicle lift.

·
88 Posts
Hi david, if it anything similar to my ford you have to lift as high as it well go before tires lift of the ground, it was tight fit. The install time just takes awhile if u laying on back with out vehicle lift.
Thank you, I was looking under it this morning and I agree. I may take it over to my buddy who has a 4 post.

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No lifting required...

I am going to tackle this today or tomorrow, any tips you could give? How far did you have to lift the rear to get the brackets/bags to slide in?
I didn't have to jack it up at all.... I just collapsed the bags and stuck them into the brackets. A lot easier than the Tundra I did a few years ago.

Reactions: DavidJacob

·
88 Posts
I didn't have to jack it up at all.... I just collapsed the bags and stuck them into the brackets. A lot easier than the Tundra I did a few years ago.
Yep you're right, I was able to squeeze them in as well. Like you though I couldn't get the 5th wheel bolt off even with my cheap air impact gun. I'm going to take it down to the local shop and offer $20 to the first person that can break them free :)

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to here you got it done. Where did you place the fill valves? Did you go with the onboard compressor?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts