Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
26 Posts
As best as anyone can tell thus far, it appears to be a version of the AAM 250mm differential (9.84" ring gear) in a housing with 3.5" axle tubes. It appears to be nearly identical to the axle in the NV van with several small differences. AAM also provides this differential to GM as the center section of the Camaro ZL1's independent rear suspension.

It's a semi-floating design with a ring gear slightly larger than the Dana 60, but smaller than the 10.5" AAM axle. It's rated for 4900#s in the current XD. In the NV it is rated just above 5800#s.

Old Ag

·
909 Posts
As best as anyone can tell thus far, it appears to be a version of the AAM 250mm differential (9.84" ring gear) in a housing with 3.5" axle tubes. It appears to be nearly identical to the axle in the NV van with several small differences. AAM also provides this differential to GM as the center section of the Camaro ZL1's independent rear suspension.

It's a semi-floating design with a ring gear slightly larger than the Dana 60, but smaller than the 10.5" AAM axle. It's rated for 4900#s in the current XD. In the NV it is rated just above 5800#s.

Old Ag

The service manual lists the final drive as model MA248 for both the Titan and the NV. The ratio is listed as 3.916 with an optional ratio of 3.357. The 3.357 ratio is the same ratio used in the NV with the 4.0L.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
The service manual lists the final drive as model MA248 for both the Titan and the NV. The ratio is listed as 3.916 with an optional ratio of 3.357. The 3.357 ratio is the same ratio used in the NV with the 4.0L.
Then it's safe to say the GAWR is the same for both vehicles. Good to know!:grin2:

·
42 Posts
Anyone know what it is? First look reminded me of a 10.5 full float.
Their axle is almost the same as the Tundra. The Tundra uses a semi float 10.5 rear axle from Hino. It looks to be the same setup as Toyota. They take a axle that in theory is capable of 5000 lbs. plus but derate it for whatever reason.

They are both built to last however I'll give it to Titan. I am thinking of getting one after a year or two when my other vehicle is towards the end of life.

Hopefully they increase the fuel tank in the titan

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
The axle in the Titan XD is the same as the one found in the NV3500, except the Titan XD has a larger ring gear @ 9.84in. If the NV3500's smaller ringer gear axle has a rating of 5875lb GAWR on a GVWR of 9100lbs and a rating of 6085lb GAWR on a GVWR of 9900lbs, it's clearly able to handle more than what Nissan published at their low rating of 4900lbs for GAWR. Now mind you these ratings are done by the vehicle manufacturer and actual safe ratings on most of these axles are quite a bit higher than them...like 2000+ pounds or better. I've seen many axles' safe weight rating in the 8500 to 10,000lb range from the axle manufacture directly. The springs are you limiting factor mechanically, and the sticker on your door is your limiting factor on paper.

BigRed

·
313 Posts
AFAIK the NV3000 is a full float with 8 lug wheels, the Titan XD is only semi-float.
That plus the soft suspension, 6 lug wheels makes for the lower GAWR of the XD.

The suspension can be upgraded as can the tires and wheels.
But not sure how you can upgrade the axle to a full float.

·
56 Posts
It's usually the axle tubes/axles and not the ring gear that limits load capability. The weak link in a ring/pinion from a torque standpoint is almost always the pinion which is smaller than the ring gear by the gear ratio. Larger ring gears are chosen so you can have a larger pinion gear for the same ratio or a large gear ratio for the same pinion size.

I would focus on the diameter of the axle tubes, the wall thickness of the axle tubes, and the diameter/bearing arrangement of the axles themselves. If those things match the NV3500 (axle wise), then the load capability will probably also match. The titan may call for a lower load rating because of something else like springs.

·
26 Posts
AFAIK the NV3000 is a full float with 8 lug wheels, the Titan XD is only semi-float.
That plus the soft suspension, 6 lug wheels makes for the lower GAWR of the XD...
The NV1500, NV2500 and NV3500 share the same axle assembly with the only difference being gearing, depending on the engine selection. They are all 8 lug semi-floating axles. There are no full floating axles under the NV vans.

With the exception of the 6 vs 8 lug pattern, gear ratios and the availability of a locking differential, there are no differences between the XD and NV axles.

It is not yet known, outside of Nissan, if the lugs are limiting the axle rating on the XD. There are fewer lugs on the XD axle, but they are oversized studs compared to the NV.

There is no difference in ring gear diameter between the NV axles and XD axles.

Old Ag

·
772 Posts
Their axle is almost the same as the Tundra. The Tundra uses a semi float 10.5 rear axle from Hino. It looks to be the same setup as Toyota. They take a axle that in theory is capable of 5000 lbs. plus but derate it for whatever reason.

They are both built to last however I'll give it to Titan. I am thinking of getting one after a year or two when my other vehicle is towards the end of life.

Hopefully they increase the fuel tank in the titan
the tundra is built like a 3/4ton but they only have 5 studs instead of 6 like most half tons....weird.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
There is no difference in ring gear diameter between the NV axles and XD axles.

Old Ag
For some reason I thought the NV was 9.5...I guess the only difference I remember regarding part numbers on the cover were the A vs B at the end...so guessing it's a revision and nothing important. Funny, no one has details on the NV's axle yet and it's been around a bit, still can't find axle shaft dimensions or spline count...lol. Another person emailed AAM back in 2014 for info an crickets:dry:

BigRed

·
26 Posts
For some reason I thought the NV was 9.5...I guess the only difference I remember regarding part numbers on the cover were the A vs B at the end...so guessing it's a revision and nothing important. Funny, no one has details on the NV's axle yet and it's been around a bit, still can't find axle shaft dimensions or spline count...lol. Another person emailed AAM back in 2014 for info an crickets:dry:

BigRed
Yep. The only things definitive are the factory service manuals (many thanks to realbored), and the details are not fully complete. There is little reason for anyone to tear apart an NV axle. With the XD now selling, perhaps someone will pull one apart. The axle is Nissan only and not likely to sell in huge numbers, so demand for after-market support, and therefore, deep technical exploration is likely to be a ways off.

Here's hoping the front 9.25AAM is a standard configuration, allowing for the use of an existing locker.

Old Ag

·
909 Posts

BigRed

One of the techs had an NV axle out today and it has 30 splines. Unfortunately he had it back together before I was able to get any measurements.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
One of the techs had an NV axle out today and it has 30 splines. Unfortunately he had it back together before I was able to get any measurements.
Thanks!!! Always appreciate the info:grin2:

That's a decent number, and given than the nv axles were 8lug...this one on the xd eases my mind a bit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts