Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a trick to get the upper pin out on the rear caliper? I know is a 10 mm Allen bolt but the pin is at the same height as the leaf springs and I cannot get my Allen key or socket in there?

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nm, ended up cutting about 3/4” off the Allen key. Now it works as a specialty tool. On another note is there and easy way to get the rotor off??? The internal shoes for the emergency brake seem to be keeping the rotor on. I pulled the plug in the back for where I thought the adjuster was and no adjuster there. Thoughts???
I banged, I pryed and the rotor would not come

·
2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
789 Posts
There's an adjuster in there, get a flashlight and look in the hole. It's a small gear type adjuster you need to either push the top or bottom to spin it, I don't remember which direction. Use a tiny flat head screwdriver, I had to borrow one from a neighbor because I didn't have any small enough. Also I never had to cut anything so I'm confused what you had to cut.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Allen key itself, the distance between the leaf spring and the upper slide pin doesn’t allow me to use my Allen key as I a loosening the slide pin

·
789 Posts
Can't your remove the entire caliper with 2 bolts?

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose I could have done that, I’ve always removed slide pins, caliper, then the carrier, then the rotor.
I guess remove the carrier bolts and remove the entire assembly and deal with the slide pins while it’s in hand.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, can the adjuster be accessed with the rotor still on???? I don’t see where to access the adjuster. I have 2017 Titan XD pro4x gas.

i tried changing the brakes last night on the rear and physically cannot remove the right rear rotor. Haven’t a tried driver side yet. I would assume that the shoes have made a groove on the internal drum of the rotor. Without being able to access the adjuster I cannot get the rotor off. Anyone have a pic as to where the access to the adjuster is. I would have thought near the 12o’clock position, but there is no access hole or runner grommet, there is a rubber grommet at the 9 o’clock position l removed that and not adjuster to be found

·
789 Posts
It's behind one of the rubber plugs, I don't remember which one. Kind of difficult to figure out the first time. I doubt you will get the rotor off without loosening the drums, though.

·
994 Posts
The rubber grommet is directly above the axle housing in the backing plate in the 12 o'clock position. you might have to clean the dirt away to get to it depending on where you drive.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update,
Rotated adjuster fully in both directions, obviously one direction applies the brake and the other removes the parking brake.

still cannot get this rotor off! Any ideas?

·
994 Posts
Update,
Rotated adjuster fully in both directions, obviously one direction applies the brake and the other removes the parking brake.

still cannot get this rotor off! Any ideas?
There is a ridge of rust built up that is stopping it from coming off. They can be a real pain to get off because of it. Another thing to check is that the parking brake is releasing fully. The linkage likes to seize and not release fully. Take a hammer and give it a few taps where the cable attaches to the released position.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve done that! Still no love.

:-(
so very frustrating, brakes are typically an easy job!

·
789 Posts
I think you can unscrew the parking brake cable from the axle so it's totally loose in there. Did you try beating on the rotors with the adjuster in either direction? I remember mine were pretty well stuck as well. The other side goes faster when you figure out what's holding you up.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah parking brake is not attached to the lever right now, adjuster fully loose. The rotor seems to move 1/2-3/4 inch then stops. I tried to pry, hammer, rotated , no love. It is definitely something to do with the parking brake assembly that is preventing these from coming off. May get a puller and prepare to replace the parking brake shoes and hardware.

·
994 Posts
If you're putting on new rotors pry the front of the rotor away from the backing plate and beat on the back side of the rotor with a hammer. Walk the rotor off of the shoes. Be careful not to damage where the anchor pins attach ti the backing plate.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tried that again no love, I am going to use a puller, and pull it off. I have a parking brake spring kit now in the event springs brake. On another note anyone take advantage of the Nissan service bulletin reference parking brake shoes and springs?

I only found out after I bought the spring kit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts